Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
socom

Kitchen Layout 911

socom
10 years ago

We have started construction for the new addition great room and kitchen. The contractor is verifying where the kitchen sinks will be going so he can get the plumbing ready. This whole time I thought the main sink would be where the designer drew it in but after seeing the construction site yesterday I wanted to move that main sink to face north to have a view of the backyard versus a view of the patio. I made this quick layout and also revised the island. Opinions? Any input would be helpful. I am in a time crunch as the contractor needs to know ASAP. Thank you

The first picture is the original plan.

Comments (12)

• socom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My revised plan...The window should be centered on the north wall and the sink should be centered on that. I'd like to keep it there so I will have a better view. I can move things around except the exterior walls since it is new addition. I also moved the refrigerator to the east wall since it would be more accessible for guests.

This post was edited by socom on Sat, Jan 11, 14 at 12:07

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Have you posted this on the Kitchen Forum?

• socom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Opps. Yes, I just did. Thank you

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The second layout is very similar to my kitchen and I love it.

Only thing is dont put the island sink on the edge...they are infinitely more useful if you leave some room on both sides...12-18" will make a huge difference.

• socom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AnnieDeighnaugh- I was thinking of placing the prep sink somewhere in between the refrigerator and cooktop. Do you have any pictures of your kitchen that you'd be able to share?

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

Nice layout! I think this is what you have (MOL) in your second picture...I just added windows to your baking area. Hope this helps :)
    {{gwi:1400327}}From Kitchen plans

• socom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

lavender_lass-OMG thank you so much!!!! I love Howe you added the windows. I am so relieved that this will work. Thank you again!

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I think your changes are much better than the original...and the baking area is going to be wonderful! :)

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

The only thing I might suggest (depending on how much you bake) is possibly a fridge drawer in the baking area or on the end of the island, opposite the main sink. It would be a bit of a walk around the island to grab butter or milk, when you're baking. However, if you're really organized (which I'm not LOL) you would probably put everything on the island, before you start! :)

• socom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lavender_lass,
    The contractor started framing and he thinks having the oven on the corner will make the kitchen feel enclosed... He's recommending to move the oven to the wall where the fridge and cooktop are. He saying I can have 18" of prep space on each side of the cooktop. I thought it would be too crowded. Your thoughts? I really love the baking station. He also said we can't do the window on the left hand side of the sink because of a shear wall.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

So sorry, I missed your question. Hope it's not too late for you...here's my kitchen with the prep sink location.

• socom
    Original Author
    10 years ago

AnnieD- beautiful kitchen!!! i love your layout which is the same as the one lavender designed. Do you have a picture of your oven too? Thank you for sharing