Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
theballs_gw

Cute little cottage style floorplan review

theballs
10 years ago

My parents have a 15 acre lot, and they are almost done building their house, and my sister is going to build on it as well. They are trying to keep cost to build under $200k. Land is already paid for.

She is married and has three kids�6, 5, and 1. The in-laws come to stay with some regularity, so having a guest suite/second master would be really nice. They also will have a pool.

I am interested in comments.

My comments to her about the plan:
Turn the 14x21 bonus space directly above them into another master suite. Would have to flip the stairs.

The upper bonus space is huge. You could open part of it to below if you want a balcony area, and the rest just be upstairs living area with tv and couches. Or you could just leave as-is with tv, couches, desk, etc. Probably easy to open it up if you want a balcony area.

I would frame in the screened breezeway as part of the house, and put a full bathroom in there, so that pool guests can go in there to use the bathroom, and then take that little half bath and extend your laundry space to be larger. Basically make it a large mud-room that you can enter from either the garage or the backyard. And then put in a bathroom, doesnt have to be fancy, a stall shower, sink, and toilet.

I would find some way to put some steps in the breezeway going up to the room above the garage, where I would put all the exercise equipment, and also leave space for a future full bathroom. the nice thing is that this would get your exercise equipment into a dedicated area, and get it away from the rest of the house. it would be like you are going to the gym, plus, with the windows up there, you could see out and it would be really nice. plus it could serve as a 5th bedroom if you ever needed it.

http://www.houseplans.com/plan/1698-square-feet-3-bedrooms-2-5-bathroom-cottage-house-plans-2-garage-34317

Comments (4)

• bpath
    10 years ago

A BBQ porch is a great idea, but all the food will be coming from the kitchen, so I would think direct access would be nice. Not only a door, but a sliding window with counter on the other side. We had that in a Florida house and it was very useful.

If it's 15 acres and they have kids, I'd imagine a sink might be useful in the laundry for rinsing chlorine out of suits or rinsing muddy stuff before it goes in the machine?

This post was edited by bpathome on Thu, Jan 16, 14 at 14:35

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I'd add a door to the BBQ porch at the top end of the cabinet run, then put windows on each side of the range. You need to see the porch, IMHO, especially if you're cooking out there.

I like the idea of the bigger mudroom/laundry area, and maybe more pantry space, too....since my idea means losing a little upper cabinet storage :)

Here's one example... {{gwi:1400100}}From TV kitchens

• arch123
    10 years ago

I would think about bringing the lanai out and door to the master off the back - replace the windows with glass doors
    eliminating the current door to the lanai

• energy_rater_la
    10 years ago

a quick search for family room over garage (FROG) shows
    this discussion. note location of posters as for
    radiant barrier & type of foam insulation.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/remodel/msg08232437759.html

these areas (frog's) and any second floor living spaces that share walls with attic space..are hard to heat & cool.
    to do so efficiently..you have to commit to air sealing and insulation. most cases foam on the roofline is easiest, fastest way to do so.

if ductwork is in attic..or between floors. this install
    is creating a semi conditioned nonvented attic space.
    a huge benefit for ductwork as compared to vented
    extreme attic temps.

just fyi...for you in design change.

also...between bedrooms/bathrooms sound batts
    for wall will make it much quiter in bedroom when
    bathroom is in use.

where will heating equipment be located?
    where for ductwork?
    best now to design for locations for these
    things, and decide to invest in efficiency
    for the biggest user of natural resources
    in your home.
    size of system should be determined by
    an accurate load calc, designed ductwork
    system, sized properly.all ducts should be
    mastic sealed, not duct tape, not foil tape.
    investing time in this now will save you a lot
    of time down the road.

also invest in a good (above code) insulation
    package & air sealing.

best of luck.