Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lethargobuild

Can we simplify this roofline without losing our desired layout?

lethargo
9 years ago

We've selected a house plan and are making some modifications. We've removed the dining room, and expanded the 'nook' to create one dining space. We're adding a full bath to the area where the dining room was removed off of the den so that the room can be used as a guest room, possible future in-law suite. We're screening in the rear portion of the covered porch. We're also pushing the back of the house out an additional 7', roughly, to expand the kitchen and living room. The stairs still need to be reconfigured, I don't care for the original design.

We are still having trouble figuring out the 'mud room', as there isn't one. There is a 'mud hallway'. I would GREATLY prefer a large space dedicated to snow pants, muddy boots, dog stuff, backups of toilet paper and paper towels, sports gear, etc. I have seen similar plans that took a portion of the garage to dedicate to a mudroom.

We'd like to have a simpler roofline. I am wondering if we push the porch out to line up with the dining area and the front covered porch if a simpler roofline would negate the added cost of a more porch space? Other ideas? We need a dedicated home office and were considering a 3rd story attic space, a cupola type room. I'll post the 2nd story soon... that is also being modified.

Comments (19)

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Some of the modifications

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd floor

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

On the 2nd floor, we'd like to add an en suite bath, and a laundry. The rear of the house will be gaining that 7' across the width, and the sitting area is getting expanded as well. We hope to redesign the master bath to include a door and no corner bath.

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We'd like to add a 3rd story...that just make for a more complicated roof, huh? Can it be done? I was thinking cupola, or extending the stair a half flight to a sitting area that could be walled/glassed off.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

Why would you want to add a 3rd story?

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We need a space for DH's work-from-home office that is far away from the kids. He's tired of being in the basement. So a very small 3rd story, possibly 2.5 story.

• cefoster
    9 years ago

French doors on the sitting room for office would be good.
    Or close out some of that open space from the first floor.
    The noise in those tall rooms would drive me crazy and maybe not the most energy efficient. You could use sound proofing materials for the office. I do not know about your budget, but it seems like overkill when you have so much space that is not being utilized (in my opinion of course).

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The sitting room wI'll be expanded because of the expanded nook below. We will most likely be using the 'sitting room' as the master in the new configuration. Also, no way I'm having DH's office in our bedroom. The main floor guest room/living will be used as a homeschool room/kids craft room. The den will be part of the basement, we're making a 2-story sport-court. If we don't use that space as a sport court, it wouldn't work well as an office as it's across the foyer from the children, that is not working for us now, not just the noise but also the interruptions. If we don't use the den as the 2-story sport court, we'll use the space as a mudroom, which is needed.

Which tall ceilings are the problem? What space isnt being used well?

• junco East Georgia zone 8a
    9 years ago

The foyer and living room in the original plan have tall ceilings. They show on the 2nd floor plan as "open". I don't think you really want your home school space to be open to the 2nd floor. As colleennc said, closing that in would give you the space for your husband's office.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

You would come in ahead financially if you just went to an architect with your needs to create something custom. Starting with something that needs such extensive modifications to work will actually end up costing more in the long run, and with more compromises. A tbird floor addition especially will add to the costs as the entire foundation and framing has to be redesigned to carry tbat additional live load.

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, well that's a big Duh moment! Thanks Colleen and Junco! Above the foyer would be a good option for his office, for now. as the kids get older and start listening to music in their rooms, it might not be as great a choice... but we'll do well to consider that option. I don't think there is enough height above the living room/den area to have a second story.

We're looking at cutting the rear portion of the screened porch and adding a door from the kitchen out to the right to the porch. That will make that corner line up better, then carry the porch straight across the right side instead of jogging out around the den/guest room. (Then we'll square off that room as well. That will help a lot.

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Third floor is out, using 2nd story space above foyer is in!

Do you consider the other mods to be that significant? With the exception of the sport court of course. That is a Category B item, and can be cut if needed, with no upset feelings.

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Edit: Oops, repost

This post was edited by lethargo on Sat, Jan 24, 15 at 11:52

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Its difficult to simplify the roof without seeing a plan of it and all elevations. A house this complicated should be studied in #3D.

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We've purchased the pdf of this plan, is there a way for us to get the pdf to 3d, without requiring learning new software?

• Michelle
    9 years ago

I agree with live wire, this should really be taken to an architect. This plan seems so far away from what you really need.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I've seen successful home offices that are away from everyone done in a bonus space over the garage...would save a 3rd story. Some even add a separate staircase so it's completely away.

I agree that lining the outer walls up better will save quite a bit money wise and roof wise.

• lethargo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We won't be hiring an architect, I know much to everyone's unapproval. We are going to be working with the designer and are willing to let go of some of our mod choices to keep it less complicated.

I assume the biggest issue is the widening of the rear of the house? I can't imagine that taking a room away would significantly change the space-as there will be a porch in lieu of the interior room, though there is the same issue of creating a wider span of space. The 2-story sport court is essentially the same as a 2-story great room in it's construction, is that right? What massive construction issues are created by the modifications that I am overlooking? Can someone explain the consequences of our desired mods? Thanks!!!

AnnieD, we actually started thinking last night of using a stairway from the garage or mudroom area up to a secluded 2nd floor office space. Then DH can have daylight, enjoy the view of out property, not have children randomly barging in the office during a conference call. We're not sure exactly how it would work, but DH would love a spiral staircase!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!