Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trudymom_gw

For Those Of You With Metal Roof Houses--pic

trudymom
16 years ago

I'd love to see a picture of your home from the outside. I am trying to decide on:

1. color of roof

2. color of garage door

3. color of shutters

4. color of trim

Is the garage color supposed to match the trim, shutters, or how does that work? Below are colors of the door we have chosen and the next picture is the stone we have chosen. Thank you for your thoughts and suggestions.

Thank you!

Comments (13)

• ajpl
    16 years ago

We have a silver roof and we really like it. We have FLOOD "rustic honey" cedar clapboard and "copper wash" trim. Our garage and barn will not be attached and aren't built yet but they will have the same roof but have the cedar clapboard or shingles in "copper wash".

• blindstar
    16 years ago

A view of the back side under construction.

• dixiedoodle
    16 years ago

Sorry, I won't post pictures of my house online, but I have attached a link to the manufacturer's website. There are numerous pictures on there to look through for ideas.

Our metal roof is from Tamko MetalWorks, in the Sierra Slate Gray color. All of our exterior trim and garage doors will be white. Our shutters will be a dark gray to match the roof. Our front door will have a dark mahogany stain (even the trim is stained...no white paint).

We had really wanted a standing seam metal roof, but our neighborhood ARB said no to our request- unless we used pure copper, and that was WAY too expensive!! We are very happy with the Tamko product. Everyone thinks it is slate from the road.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tamko Metal Roof pictures

• coffeehaus
    16 years ago

Ahhh, another metal roof fan! We will be using red, but I'm still looking into what colors we will choose for our siding, trim, accent. I think that your scheme would look great with green. Check out the 2005 Not So Big House Showhouse site below for a photo of a house with green metal roof. But maybe a darker green, if heat gain is not an issue where you live.
    And here's a web photo of a metal roof in my favorite color, but with a close match to your door and stone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Not So Big Showhouse 2005

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dixiedoodle, I have never seen that slate metal. How does it compare in price to regular metal roofs?

Thank you all for your gorgeous pictures. I love it all!

Trudy

• dixiedoodle
    16 years ago

I'm not sure of the final price per square because we have a fixed price contract, but I know that material cost is around $225+/square. That is an approximation because the cost of the materials is largely determined by the complexity of the roof (valleys, flashing, sidewalls, etc). Overall, I would feel pretty comfortable stating that the final installed price per square would be somewhere between $425-$500. So, less expensive than some...more expensive than others.

Quick point...metal roofs are not all that common. Make sure that the installers have installed the system before!!

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

dixiedoodle, you are fast in answering! Thank you for the great information!!!

Any pictures from others out there?

• eventhecatisaboy
    16 years ago

Oops! I almost posted the same one from Donald Gardner, but someboday beat me to it! LOL!

I've always liked the color combinations on this house. Hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: Roof

• Susan
    16 years ago

ours is a standing seam,,is that what you mean?
    it's a very dark grey and the house is stained dark grey shingles with bright white trim. i love it,,it's classy and somewhat nantucket looking.
    i will post a picture if someone can give me very simple posting directions.

• piegirltoo
    16 years ago

Do you get much snow? We're in our first winter with our standing seam metal roof, and we're glad we discussed at length with our architect just where the snow will go when it slides off. It will slide off and if you don't remove it quickly, it will accumulate. Look at blindstar's back door. yikes! (sorry, no offense, blindstar).
    Our roof doesn't "match" in color any other elements of the house except for gutters and downspouts which were made from the same material. It's sort of a neutral grayish green that can be paired with many different colors.
    If your summers are hot think about lighter colors and research 'cool roofs' on the internet (coolroofs.org). We wanted a galvanized-look roof until we learned that many painted metals would actually keep the house cooler in summer.
    I like to see shutters, trim, and garage door all the same color.

• trudymom
    Original Author
    16 years ago

piegirltoo, We are in Texas, so we don't get the snow but we certainly get the heat. Thanks for the "coolroofs" site. Very interesting...

Anyone else?

Thank you!

• nacnac
    16 years ago

I'd love to put a metal roof on my house but I have no idea how much more it costs vs. an asphalt roof. Is it twice as much? 3 times? Help me out. Can anyone give me a ballpark estimate (vs typical dimensional asphalt shingles?) thanks

• lyfia
    16 years ago

nacnac when I investigated it for my old house which had a 4/12 pitch and some lower slopes the estimates where 2x-3x depending on the metal thickness.

Sponsored
Eric Joffe Construction Corp
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Your Premier Custom Home Builder in Hampton Roads I 3X Best of Houzz