Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathi67_gw

Elevation Suggestions / Critique

Kathi67
11 years ago

I would appreciate any ideas/suggestions you may have to improve the front elevation of our home. What is you opinion? How could we make it better?

Thank You,

Comments (10)

• renovator8
    11 years ago

What's in that big roof space?

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

These are windows with a wall wrapped around them and capped by a huge roof. Is there anything you can think of (or ask the draftsperson to do) that would make the fenestration more interesting and provide some life and variety to the exteriors? Perhaps it's just the drawings (which aren't very good), but the result is pretty ho-hum!

Help is needed here. Good luck with your project!

• Kathi67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

There is a bonus room above the garage. Anyone? Please help...

• renovator8
    11 years ago

We might be able to help if you showed us an elevation without important missing lines, the side elevations and the floor plan. there's really not much to work with here.

What you need is a better designer who who knows how to draw.

• nini804
    11 years ago

I personally do not like that much roof without dormers or something to break it up. I also think your windows are too small, as well as your front entry. It just looks like a big bunch of roof.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

I'm sorry, but I would make the home better by hiring a more competent professional. You are obviously not dealing with an architect. Even though the drawing is of extremely poor quality, the standout features are the giant mushroom of a roof and the very very small windows that are out of proportion to the mass of the giant mushroom roof. Ganging too small windows together does not make up for the fact that they are too small. It only makes them look more awkward. Having a larger window in the gable than on the facade is a million dollar clue here that you're dealing with someone who doesn't know what they are doing.

• renovator8
    11 years ago

The design violates most of the things designers are taught not that they are rules but they do work well in most cases.

Smaller windows at an upper level give a sense of height to the house.

Front facing gables do not work well with hipped roofs. That is why hipped roofs are primarily a French tradition and front facing gables are an English tradition. I suspect the giant main roof is hipped just to save money and is full of trusses instead of useful space.

The first floor windows are unusually close to the ground and the sketchy planting shows why that is not a good idea. Older houses had windows like this but the first floor was raised two feet above the ground.

There is no practical reason for the awkward rectangular vent in the larger gable; if the attic is vented it should be with a ridge vent or the wall vent should be designed to fit the gable.

The general design is more contemporary than traditional so you should avoid a Victorian front door in a flat segmented arch.

The cornice returns should be detailed properly or omitted.

The outer lip of a gutter should be lower than the extension of the roof slope unless you are in a region where it never snows.

Otherwise there is not enough information to offer additional design advice.

• Kathi67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all the useful information. Is there any way someone could sketch a drawing of what everyone is suggesting? It would greatly be appreciated. I really need help with this.

Thank You,

Kathi

• Kathi67
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Should I combine some of the lower windows to make one large window and have the window up stairs smaller?

• renovator8
    11 years ago

IMO it is not really possible to redesign a house without the plan and other elevations.