Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkliveng_gw

Copyright and Plans

jkliveng
10 years ago

If there is a post already related to this, please link me. I could not find much detail.

I am in the very early planning stages and have been browsing plans online. I have found a floor plan that I would like to use as my inspiration. I have re-drawn it and made changes in room layout, and total size. Can I provide this to my architect to work off of, even if it's similar to the floor plan online? The plan itself online is not for sale, and I have found several other plans that are similar to it, that may or may not have used it as inspiration.

I don't want to run into any copyright issues.

Thanks!

J

Comments (5)

• LE
    10 years ago

I would show it to the architect and ask. It's very likely that once you start working together, you'll make even more changes and the result may not have as much resemblance to the original as you think. You can't copyright "ideas," such as room placement. Your architect has likely been through this issue with other clients, so I would start there. It's a good question to ask, though!

• dgruzew
    10 years ago

It should be fine - this is exactly what I did . We printed out a bunch of plans online and we used them as basis for floor plans

• renovator8
    10 years ago

Where did you see the design and do you know the identity of the author of the work? Was there a copyright notice? A copyright notice is not required for protection but anyone who wants to discourage copies usually includes a notice.

All house designs use ideas and design elements from other houses; it is a matter of how closely a design is copied and whether or not the author/owner cares to protect it.

I would not worry about using a few good design ideas but I would not use someone else's drawings to build a house without compensation and/or permission.

But if you have hired an architect it will be his/her issue to deal with since the copying and the new copyright will be the architect's responsibility. I also find it difficult to imagine an architect would not want to change the design to meet your specific needs, tastes and location.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Fri, Jan 3, 14 at 12:58

• jkliveng
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Renovator, I found the plan on a builders website across the country. I do not know the exact author, but it is the company's plan it appears. They do have a statement saying that the plans are copyrighted and not for sale.

Thank you all for your input, it helps tremendously!

• shifrbv
    10 years ago

Everyone does same sings, looking at other builders.
    Not every plan is copyrightable (not unique enough).... Without knowing you really expect someone to answer.

Is it a track builder? What is so special about this plan.