Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jennifer_mclaurin

Exterior Feedback

I am considering building The Rosemary - Plan# W-GOO-1113 from Donald Gardner. It is the perfect layout for our needs and budget. I want to use brick, but it may be out of my budget. My question is - will siding look good on this house???? If so, what colors would you use???

http://www.dongardner.com/plan_details.aspx?pid=3003

Comments (7)

• reinitodepiedra
    9 years ago

My opinion is that the picture of the house with siding looks better than the house with brick. I don't know what color would look best, but if it helps, my favorite color is green.

• Jennifer McLaurin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. I like green as well. I am really thinking about a pale yellow color with black shutters and white trim. My second choice is gray vinyl with white trim and black shutters. I really want the columns and trim to pop while still achieving a classy southern look. Do you guys have any ideas of any siding colors that will achieve this look?

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

I really like that plan and I also think I like it better with siding, not brick. Can't really help on colors though. Although i do think either of your ideas would be fine. I would probably prefer the yellow but I'm always partial to a yellow house.

One reason why I like the plan is that the living spaces will get a lot of light. So many house plans today are split bedrooms with living spaces in the middle which limits the light you get in them. That would drive me crazy, lol. I think it's a nice, functional layout. Love the screen/sun room and pantries.

You didn't ask but a couple things jumped out at me in the plan that I would tweak. Minor things that shouldn't add much, if any, expense.

Here I moved the fridge so there's easier access for folks who just want to pop into the kitchen for a drink or quick snack. I think this spot will keep extra people out of the cook's way better. I also moved the stove down farther on that wall which should alleviate potential congestion if someone is at the sink while the other is at the stove.

And I inset the coat closet into the garage and removed the doorway into the great room making it a nice wide space from door to great room without any obstructions. I think this will make for a much nicer, grander entrance.

{{gwi:2133050}}

If that inset closet makes the garage a bit too small for parking cars, you have room to make the garage deeper without having to move any exterior windows and the cost of adding a few feet to a garage is minimal.

Next, I simply moved w/d so there is room here for a door. I think having a second access there would be very handy. Let's say you're leaving and realized you forgot something in one of the bedrooms or one of you comes home to find out your SO has guests but you've just been to the gym and would like to go to the bedroom to clean up before sitting down with the guests. Whatever. I just think this is so much more convenient than always having to do around and through the living space to access the bedrooms.

{{gwi:2133051}}

• Jennifer McLaurin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bump

• mpcdilks
    9 years ago

Love your ideas, funkycamper! We are also thinking of purchasing this house plan. I am planning on splitting the double window in the Dining Room into two single windows so that my hutch will fit on that wall. Also, since we will be getting the Basement Option, we are considering eliminating the garage storage and adding it to the Laundry/Utility Room. Would love to see real interior photos or at least some 3D drawings of the interior but no luck so far.

• mpcdilks
    7 years ago

Jennifer McLaurin, did you follow through with your plan to build Don Gardner's Rosemary"? Any photos/suggestions? We are planning to build this plan in Spring 2017.