Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
josey11

Need Help With Plan

josey11
9 years ago

We hope to build our retirement beach house this summer. We are having trouble fitting everything that we want into approximately 1,800 sq. ft. The attached plan is just over 2,000 sq. ft. not counting the bonus room. We would appreciate any advice to reduce the size a little but more importantly we would appreciate suggestions to improve the plan.

We built our last house 35 years ago and had an Architect design it. Our budget is tight this time so we are trying to do as much as we can ourselves and then have a draftsman finalize the drawings.

The house will have a hip roof and the rear will be on the water facing south west with full sun most of the day. We are located in Northern New Brunswick so there is no concern about it being too hot. Few homes here need or have air conditioning.

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS: Could only attach one file so no second floor. It has two bedrooms and bath plus hall to bonus room over garage.

Comments (11)

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

I'm curious - is this a forever beach house, or one just to live in a few years before retiring? (As you built 35 years ago, I'm guessing you are at least age 50?)

I would suggest considering aspects of Accessible Design if you would like to continue to use your beachhouse as you age.

I would also suggest trying furniture placement in the living/dining room area. When you come in the front door these will be the first things you see, and you will want adequate space to walk around furniture as well.

Do you entertain, or is your beachhouse more of a getaway location? The master being next to the living room may generate too much noise for sleeping.

Do you need doors on the master closets? If no one will see them, you may want to consider leaving them off. Also, what is the hallway space between closets? 4' might be best if you store stuff on the ground and need to crouch to reach into the closet.

If you don't entertain often, one way to reduce some sq ft might be to create a single bathroom on the main floor, rather than master+powder.

Are you using your bonus room? Using that for finished space might also reduce your sq ft.

• josey11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Naween
    Thanks to the quick response and advise. We are 65+ and this is planned to be are last home. We do entertain regularly but we will always be part of the activities so no problem with noise.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

You can reply to your own post and include the second level photo.

I would make the master closets reach-in rather than walk-in. The walls (even with pocket doors) take up , and make the closet harder to use, especially if we're thinking about accessibility. I'd also put another window in the master.

• josey11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

two great ideas..........thanks

• Michelle
    9 years ago

If it were my beach home, I'd make sure the kitchen had a view of the water.

• robin0919
    9 years ago

ditto about another window in the masterbed. Michelle....the kit is at the back of the house where the water view is. There will probably be a wall of windows in the 3 season room.

• josey11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I will definatly add a window to the master and yes Robin0919 the three season is all screened with polypropylene accordion windows.

Attached is the second floor plan.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Do you need a tub in the master bath? We didn't add one and are very happy....unless you're a tub person, you can save space there.

I'd much prefer an island in the kitchen...this way, it's a dead end.

• User
    9 years ago

This house would be very difficult to live in as you age. You would want a straight stair run for a stair lift, or space for an elevator. The baths and kitchens aren't user friendly to the less than able. Entering into the home will also be diificult, either from the garage, or from the front entry. Research ADA standards for kitchens and baths. Universal Design principles also should apply.

In fact, you really should talk with an architect who specializes in Universal Design. The best money that you can spend on any build is on a design that works as intended. It does no good to skimp money on the design to put money into a home that doesn't work for your needs more than a few years while you are still fully able.

• josey11
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks livewirw for your feedback.

We would really appreciate feedback from others re changes.

Thanks

• neonweb US 5b
    9 years ago

With a few changes you could save some sft. By combining first floor bathrooms, Combining laundry and pantry, And using under the stair area for coat closet.