Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
slc2053_gw

Help finding a small, simple floor plan and I need your advice!

slc2053
16 years ago

Hello everyone....

We've got a very tight budget and want to make our dream come true of building a small home or cabin on some acreage we bought about 4 years ago. We don't have big bank accounts and will have to do much of the work ourselves with the help of some very talented friends.

I see some of the floor plans on here and can't even dream that big! We want a basic 1 master bedroom/bath, kitchen, living room with fireplace, mudroom to a garage on the main floor and a loft up top. We're thinking less than 1,000 sq. ft total..(if possible we'll put this over a full basement)

The best views will be to the back of the house and we'd love the views to be from the kitchen and living room. Is there guidance on "how to site a house" to get the best lighting? Also, those with high ceiling and windows, how do you keep them clean?!!??

Anyone have something small with simple floor plan and roof line to keep prices down? Is there a website where you can choose the rooms you want and their placement and the site return hits matching your criteria? (I know..I'm dreaming)

Also, has anyone just built the "shell" of their house (had it built) then opted to finish the home on the inside as time and $ permits? This is the route we want to go because we have a place to live now so we're not in a hurry. Just curious if you did this and how it worked out?

Any advice someone can give us as to how to proceed would be great. I did read another post where someone asked what they could be doing now to prepare to build in 2-5 years, and it was very helpful.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (29)

• Flowerchild
    16 years ago

We are self GC/DIY. Going this route you must be patient and you must do your research. We started out thinking relatively small (compared to most new homes here) between 1800 -2000 sq. ft and somehow it just kept getting bigger. Now we are at 2400 sq. ft. w/o finished basement.
    As for siting the house to take advantage of light, you would place it with the biggest windows facing west/east because that's the direction the sun moves. We sited ours with the front facing slightly SE and the back facing SW luckily that's where our views are located. So we have the GR and kitchen on the back like you are thinking of.
    Good luck with your build. You have made the most important step in your build.....joining in the world of knowledge on this site.

• logista
    16 years ago

Even if you're not interested in kit homes, if you look at some of the log cabin kit builders you'll see lots of plans for smaller homes.

As for siting, look for sites that discuss passive solar.

Hope this helps.

• booboo60
    16 years ago

There is a website you may want to look at www.rosschapin.com
    If you click on the "Lavatera" it seems to be pretty much what you are looking for.....not to mention it is really, really cute IMHO!!!!!!
    Good luck!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Since I'm on a Mascord kick this morning. How about this one. It's a cabin with a loft. It doesn't have the big windows you are looking for but I wonder if you could rework it so there are bigger windows on the back by moving the fireplace??

Here is a link that might be useful: The Abbeville

• ajpl
    16 years ago

We are building a relatively simple and small home mostly DIY. It will be 900 sq on the main level and the same size but with some slanted roof in the upstairs. We designed the house ourselves after lots of research.

My favorite site was http://www.architecturalhouseplans.com/ They have some really small plans with tons of character.

Also if you're interested, I'm including my blog below. We've been so busy that it's not been updated for a few weeks but I'm planning to get to it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Home

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Here is another one that has the option to finish out the basement. It has a nice vaulted living area with nice windows to capture your view.

Here is a link that might be useful: Plan 592

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone!

ajpl..I looked through your blog..you guys sound so much like us! We too bought a little over 100 acres..seemed as big as the state of Texas at the time, but shrinks the more you're there. Don't get me wrong, we love it..it's just funny how things are.

Do you have a floor plan of your home? I didn't see one initally on the blog, but didn't have time to get through it all?

Thanks again for the floor plans everyone..

BTW, no one responded on how to keep those out of reach beautiful windows clean? Seriously, is that a pain? I hate dirty windows!

Thanks.

• meldy_nva
    16 years ago

DIY, one uses window cleaning tools with extension handles, and/or ladders, and/or gets used to dirty windows. Not joking. Only commercial businesses and those who can afford professional window cleaners actually have windows that are shiny clean more than not. The pros have the extensions, the good blades, the ladders, and may or may not clean as well as you would.

• flgargoyle
    16 years ago

Wow- your situation is nearly identical to ours! We are struggling to keep the design under 1200 sq ft or so. One problem we ran into is the lack of designs with the LR and kitchen in the back, facing the view. Our view is out the back, and also faces north, usually a big no-no for house siting, but we have no other choice. It depends a lot on your location; we are in SC, so having north facing windows isn't nearly the issue it would be in VT. I'm working on my own design, since I haven't been able to find anything I like. So many small house designs insist on cramming 3 BR's into 1000 sq ft. You might have more luck looking at vacation homes or cottages. There are lots of websites with house plans- many thousands of them! As for cost, a simple ranch is pretty hard to beat. All sorts of roof angles and dormers add to the cost. A 2 story is a little cheaper, because you have a smaller foundation and roof, but I'm finding it very difficult to place a stairway that doesn't cut a small house in two. Also, sometimes roofing is more because of the added risk and difficulty working farther off the ground. We want everything on one level, since we will eventually retire and grow old in our next house, and really don't want to haul anything (including ourselves!) up and down stairs. But we are going to have a full basement, so the stairs are a necessary evil. A basement is cheap square footage if made water proof. We haven't decided our level of involvement in our build yet. I may do nearly everything except the foundation, or I may have a shell built, and then do the rest- it depends a lot on how much money we have when the time comes, and even my physical condition, which is fine so far, but I'm not getting any younger! There are plenty of cheap (or free) house design programs out there, such as Sketch-Up, or the one I do floorplans with, 3D Home and Landscaping. What it would cost to have such a design made into working blueprints, I don't know. I'm sure it would be cheaper if you can find a stock plan. My feeling is that if you start with a simple rectangular shape, the interior walls can be moved around more or less at will until you find a layout you like. I've taken it a step further, and actually built scale models out of foamboard, and used doll house furniture to see how it all works. After all that, I haven't settled on a design yet!

• ajpl
    16 years ago

slc, we do have more photos and floor plans on my photobucket account http://s87.photobucket.com/albums/k150/lushhome/

Try page 2 and you'll see the hand drawings we started with and then the revisions. Also you can email me if you want at donnie dot L at ns dot sympatico dot ca

• justusbarkers
    16 years ago

We're looking for a very similar thing. I like the plans at this site: http://www.robinsonplans.com/
    They don't feel like the weekend cabins so many small plans are designed to be.
    If you are planning to do a lot of the work yourself I also highly recommend you looks at http://www.countryplans.com/ . The floorplans are designed to be build by the owners and have few interior load bearing walls, so you can modify the design. There is a great forum of people who have built or are currently building houses from the plans and the architect gives lots of help to owner-builders.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Country Plans

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

flgargoyle...let us know when you decide on a plan!

Thanks justusbarkers..I looked at country plans and will checkout robinsonplans.com as well!

Can you buy home kits that are just the shell? We don't want a log home, which seems to be the most popular type of kit.

Thanks.

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

When a house is small the design needs to be very carefully studied. I recommend getting professional design assistance in order to make the most of your limited budget.

There are thousands of professionally designed houses on the internet;just google SMALL HOUSES.

Also search Amazon for small house books. This subject has been beaten to death, so take advantage of it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ross Chapin

• skagit_goat_man_
    16 years ago

Small doesn't have to mean simple. The design can be quite a challenge so you can get the feautres you want into that small square footage. Ours is around 1175sf. Here's the floor plan. Tom

{{gwi:1398904}}

• piasano
    16 years ago

Have you considered searching through condo plans for ideas? I agree that building a smaller home is a bigger challenge. Condo architects are masters at utilizing every inch of space. Often, condo floorplans will be displayed over the internet to entice potential buyers.

They are down here, anyway.

If you Google Lennar (a building company down here) or any other condo-building company you may be familiar with, you will bring up a number of floorplans.

Wishing well with your build!

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

If you are building small to save money then simplicity is essential.

I did a vacation house limited in area by law: 1,200sf with 3 bedrooms, no closets.

A neighbor asked me to do theirs too and it was even smaller.

• antiquerose
    16 years ago

I've always liked some of the vacation homes at www.coolhouseplans.com. Check out house plan chp-6804. Be sure to scroll down so you can see the enlarged picture of the home's exterior and the house plan. Also, chp-6807 is a real beauty.

I designed our home, and the way that I did that was I first saw a gorgeous addition that was added to the rear of a two-story home. In the sunken living room, I liked the cathedral ceiling, the rear-vent gas fire place that was surrounded by windows that faced south, the windows and French doors that were located on the east and west walls of the living room, the dining area that was adjacent to the living room. There were two entrances to the living room and there was a half wall located between those entrances. Next to the half wall was the dining room table (located in the dining room, not the living room). I loved the idea of sitting at the table to eat meals while looking down into the living room at the fireplace and out the windows. When I walked out the entrance on the left side of the living room, a galley kitchen was located directly to my left. So what I did was draw (at first on graph paper) the sunken living room, the dining area, and the kitchen. Then from there I kept imagining in my mind various locations for two bedrooms, a bath, and a laundry room. Finally, after several tries, I drew a plan that my husband and I both liked. We love our home so much, and although I visit other homes that have very nice floor plans, I wouldn't change a thing here.

You might want to look at a lot of different house plans and find things in those plans that you like. From there you could design your own home.

We built most of our home ourselves, and I just love the "pay as you go" method. This was the second house I built this way. By the way, before we built the first house years ago, a builder told us if we tried to build the house using that method, the home would never get built. He was WRONG. I know you can build that home you've been dreaming of. If you have any questions, please feel free to ask. After everything I've done, I could write a book on how to build a house!

• pandacoming
    16 years ago

You can check these websites
    http://www.findprefab.com
    http://www.raisearoof.com
    Hope it helps!

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.raisearoof.com

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

I would skip the internet; designs for sale are not often very good IMHO. The best designers don't have to sell plans on the internet to make a living. I believe if you're going to steal ideas, steal from the best. It has always worked for me.

Go to Amazon and choose from the many small house books. These are the best designs from great designers and the photographs are excellent. I like "More Small Houses from Fine Homebuilding" and most of the books are less than $10 used.

The best is probably "The Big Book of Small House Designs: 75 Award-Winning Plans for Your Dream House, All 1,250 Square Feet or Less". My friend Homer Russell's house is in it on p. 197

Any skilled architect can cut through the endless options and give you what you need in a matter of a few hours. Construction documents would take more time. I would do it for you if I knew enough about you, otherwise I would be spinning my wheels like you are doing on the internet.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Big Book of Small House Designs: 75 Award-Winning Plans for Your Dream House, All 1,250 Square Feet or Less

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

I think you are starting from the wrong place in terms of design. A good designer could produce more ideas that meet your needs in a half day than you could find in a week on the internet.

This isn't that difficult but it is harder if you start with the style or layout of the house and then try to modify it for your needs, the design should evolve a little at a time as you move from the big ideas to the small ideas making sure the priorities are correct and finding the appropriate compromises. You are trying to swallow the whole thing at once, even worrying about how to wash windows.

What you need to tell us is: if this will be only residence, your permanent residence, where it will be in terms of the climate, the nature of the site (views, water, trees, topography, distance from other buildings, etc) what you love, what you hate, do you have kids, pets, do you mind stairs, is privacy important, outdoor spaces, how many cars in the garage, what kind of cars, do you really need a garage?

The first house I designed was 1008 s.f. The owner said she hated houses on two levels and only wanted one floor. But the views of the mountains from the second floor would be spectacular and when I quizzed her I didn't get the impression it was stairs she disliked but the separation of the spaces. I proposed a 24' square house divided into quadrants each a quarter floor height higher than the one below it in a pin wheel pattern with steps in the center around a square air duct. The entire house was a stair and the top room overlooked the floor three quadrants below it. She said it was perfect so we built it.

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

Here is a preview of "More Small Houses from Fine Homebuilding"

The "Dueling Towers" are only 20' square with 3 levels and are possibly two of the most photographed and discussed houses in modern architectural history. You won't find anything like them on internet plan service sites. I guess you have to buy the book to get the floor plans but they are as simple and elegant as the facades.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dueling towers

• byrdlady
    16 years ago

Just a word of advice.... if you have a fixed bank acct., avoid a log home. They take lots of maintainence. All the correct sealers, stains etc. are costly and then there is labor. We learned the hard way.

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

The most efficient shape, in terms of surface area, to enclose a certain volume of space is a sphere but the next most efficient is a cube. A cube would minimize the amount of foundation and roof. The only drawback is the need for stairs in a multi level design but that can be offset by the reduction in hallways if there are enough rooms in the program.

An open square floor plan also maximizes views from living spaces with the fewest number of windows. Fewer larger windows are also more efficient in terms of cost. Double-hung windows are cheaper than casements and awning windows. I like to use windows with wood frames and aluminum clad sash and muntins. The trim can be installed at the factory (and the ganged windows mulled together) and it is not much more work to paint the exterior of the window frame when you paint the exterior casing trim. And you don't need a ladder if you use a good tie off harness. This assumes you can't afford PVC trim. I would also use unfinished red cedar shingles for low maintenance no corner trim and instant charm.

A cube reduces heating and cooling costs since it reduces the surface area of the house.

The most efficient sloped roof shape is a hip (pyramid shape in this case).

A 22' square footprint is the limit for 2x12 Hem-Fir joists at 12" o.c. unless you like bouncy floors. LVL framing would be a large cost increase.

Large overhangs might eliminate gutters.

Exterior porches increase summer living space at a bargain price. Forget a screen porch, use 8-0 rolling doors but don't buy cheap ones, they have to open easily.

Forget the garage or add it later with just enough common wall overlap to allow a connecting door. Perhaps the mudroom is in a connecting link but that increases foundation cost.

You can design a house better than a pre-packaged one on the internet and for less money if you don't mind it not looking like Hansel and Gretel live in it. Buy the pro version of Sketch Up and draw it up.

• slc2053
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the great information ...patches I'll take a look at your plans...mightyanvil..thanks for taking the time to provide such great advice.

This will be our "vacation" home..but it will really be a weekend get away place, that is if we can pull it off.

The home will oriented so that the front of the home is north, the back south. We want views to the south and west.

I was avoiding a second level because of cost, although considering a loft, but it sounds as though the rule of "cheaper to build up rather than out" applies.

It's just DH, myself, and our chocolate lab. Originally we thought everything on one level but are now considering living room, kitchen, mudroom/bath on main level and bed and bath on above.

We also considered a basement, as my DH wants the extra storage, but costs vs. it and just a slab foundation..not sure of the differences although there are those that say "might as well put in a basement while you're at it"

We're not worried about excavation as we have a friend who'll do the job for us. We love open floor plan because we anticipate small footprint, we want back deck (but plan to build it on later) so outdoor spaces are important.

We definitely want a mudroom...area to keep coats, boots, and area to rinse off dog after a run in the mud! We don't really need a garage..again, something we can add later...

We live in Western Pa and do want a weather tight home, as we get more cold rainy weather than hot sunny...but want overhangs to keep direct sun out in summer, but still allow sun in winter (passive solar?)...

Views to south (back) include woods and stream..views to west include woods and field. Weather hits us from north west...lots of wind from time to time.

Why not a screened in porch? I love to sit out but hate the bugs!

Ideally, we'd like to contract to get a "shell" built and finish the home ourselves as time/$ allow. Not sure what our options are there...

I had to laugh about the home you'd described above with the various levels ..we currently have that set up...and have 5 levels and 4 sets of stairs and it drives me crazy! I can handle one set, but am a bit tired of 4. ;-)

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

A screened porch is expensive because you need to put a roof over it and it was not in your original program. Adding to your program is the surest way to kill the project.

I would keep the footprint as small as possible by building two stories. That will save money on construction and energy and maximize the views as I explained earlier.

• cyafishin
    16 years ago

Check out the following:

http://www.thebungalowcompany.com/ontheboards.php

We used them on a previous build.

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

It's possible to keep it simple, cheap, and still have an interesting house. It just takes a designer who can separate the essential from the fluff.

Here is a link that might be useful: small house

• che1sea
    15 years ago

I like the small houses by Ross Chapin however they don't always have the simplest floor plans but very cute.

We are doing something very similar. A foot print of 1000 sqft or less but with atleast two bedrooms. Probably have a bedroom or two under the roof.
    We really like this one right now.
    http://www.rosschapin.com/Plans/Cottage/Egdemoor/Edgemoor.html