Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kg4951

Foyer lighting

kg4951
9 years ago

Asking for your advise. We are trying to pick a foyer light for our 2 story front hall. The space is 10 x 15. The dinning room is on one side and there will be double doors to the library on the other. The view from the front door is into the great room, also a 2 story space. We are looking at either a black or a brushed finish. The ones we have seen are about 30-35 inches across and 30-33 tall. I don't want the light to get "lost" in the huge space. Sorry for the dark picture, it was taken in the evening. I can try to get a better one today if that would help.

Comments (11)

• snuffycuts99
    9 years ago

Ours is also two story, but about 12x17. Our chandelier is 46 inches wide and 52 high. It appears to fit the space well. If I were you, I'd go a little bigger. I think it's better to err on the side of being too large rather than too small.

• nini804
    9 years ago

We also have a 2-story foyer, and I agree, bigger is better! Our actual foyer is smaller than yours, 8 x 12 or so, and we chose a fixture that is 31" wide by 51" tall.

Here you can see it from the family room:

• Pinebaron
    9 years ago

Looks beautiful. Ours is 8x22 and the chandelier is around 24" x 24", nothing to brag about just the wife loved it. I'm doing away with a chandelier in the new home foyer (to be built).

• mrsb1227
    9 years ago

Our chandelier is 29"x32", the foyer is 9x12. Not up yet but I'm hoping it will fit nicely in that space.

• keperkey
    9 years ago

Crafty, where did you get your front door? Is it wood?

• western_pa_luann
    9 years ago

nini804 , your foyer is gorgeous!

• olivine28
    9 years ago

My foyer

• almostemptynester
    9 years ago

Nini84 what a beautiful foyer! May I ask who makes that light? It is very pretty and unique.

• 3ilovepie
    9 years ago

Go big.

In a previous home, we went in to the store with measurements and an idea of what to get. After speaking with the staff we got something larger than we expected....long story short - it was small (even though it was bigger than what we thought was needed.)

It is a large space and you want balance.

On a side note - we were recently at a home with a similar foyer and they had the fixture attached with a pulley system (so it could be lowered to be cleaned).

• nini804
    9 years ago

Thanks Luann and Almostemptynester! Almost, we are so pleased with the fixture. It is manufactured by Maxim Lighting. I wanted something that didn't have glass because my foyer fixture in my old house had glass panels and it was a true PiTA to clean it. I can just use my extendable duster for this one!

• kg4951
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Keperkey - it is a Simpson door.

I love all the foyers you have all shared. They are beautiful. I guess I need to go back to the catalogs and see what bigger ones I can find. As I said the foyer is 10 x 15. The usual formula says it should be 25 inches but that didn''t seem like it will be enough but you all are saying 35 x 35 isn't enough either. This may be a budget buster!