Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grass_cat

Contractor refused to fix his mistakes unless we pay

grass-cat
9 years ago

My elderly parents hired a contractor to build an addition. So far, he has made some big mistakes. For the mistakes that were fixable, he refused to fix the problems unless my parents paid him for materials and labor. I am so disgusted with what's been going on, and I don't know what to do, because my dad is naive and won't stand up to this contractor. The contractor intentionally lied in a contract to get my parents to sign a contract with a subcontractor.

I had asked the contractor to amend the proposal to put my name on the it with my parents' permission (since my parents are having me handle a lot of the details with the contractor), and he ignored my request.

Anyway, the first mistake was when he presented plans for the wrong square footage to the building dept, even though he was provided with the correct square footage. My parents were charged for this mistake.

The kitchen layout was supposed to be a certain way, but the contractor failed to measure for the framing of the addition to allow for an appliance by the door of kitchen, so the entire layout was changed without informing us, as if we wouldn't notice; the layout was very important, but we're stuck with it. We told him through email that we didn't want any space above the kitchen cabinets, so without consulting with us, he ordered 36" tall cabs which left 12" of space above. When I contacted him about this, he told me he was going to order the taller cabinets and fill in the extra space above with molding, but he never ordered them, and we are stuck with the original cabs.

The proposal/contract states that an anti-tracking pad would be installed on the lawn and that the topsoil will removed and kept on site, then screened and seeded, etc. But the topsoil disappeared from the yard and was replaced with crappy soil (looks like they brought it in from a dump) made up of rocks, stones, debris, with nutsedge growing. So they never screened any soil, hence all the rocks and debris. They ruined most of the front and side lawn that were in beautiful condition for many years (lots of time, effort and money were put into that lawn). My dad was on his hands and knees removing the debris for days so he could mow the lawn.The contractor went missing for over a month during this time. Finally, the contractor's fix for the problem? Put some seeds down on the crappy topsoil. Cheap fix. The lawn will never be the same, unless my parents pay to have it restored.

There's more, but I think you have a good idea here.

The contractor didn't do everything wrong, but he has not fixed his mistakes, when things were in writing. I've lost so much sleep over this, as it's killing me for what my parents are going through, and having to accept the mistakes or pay. Oh, and this contractor is someone we know and who we trusted.

Why would a contractor charge my parents for mistakes he made? How can he do this? We were at a stand-still with the project as he refused to correct some mistakes unless my parents paid him (so my parents paid twice for materials and labor).

Does anyone have advice for me? I feel like my parents are being taken advantage of. Thanks!

This post was edited by grass-cat on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 9:02

Comments (10)

• bus_driver
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Get a good attorney.

• sklka
    9 years ago

The cabinet install should have been stopped when noticed. You need to go the legal route now as it seems like he is not working with you. Give him one more chance and tell him that the next step is a lawyer.

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

How "elderly" are they?

He's exploiting them because he's a below-average contractpr who sees easy, intimidated marks and a lot of profit to be made.

1 - Get an attorney, and have you designated with "power of attorney" for this addition ... that effectively gets you on the contract without the contractor having any way to block it. Your signature will be legal for all things involved with addition.

THEN:

2 - Remind this contractor that the laws for defrauding and exploiting the elderly are usually pretty severe, and he is responsible for correcting his mistakes without further payment or you will file a complaint with the state's Attorney General's Office for it if he doesn't shape up.

3 - File a complaint with the BBB and the state's contractor's licensing department.

• grass-cat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for responding.

How elderly? My dad is in his 80's. This contractor knows that my parents are not likely to go to court (at their age).

I have done my best to step in to try to get the contractor to fix his mistakes at no additional cost to my parents, but he reminded me that the contract is with my parents, not me. I do need to get on that contract.

About the kitchen cabinets, my father wrote to him that there is to be no space above the cabinets. The contractor never discussed anything with us, and suddenly one day those 36-inch cabs arrived and were put up without our knowledge. I then told him about the problem, and he agreed to order taller cabinets. I thought the cabs were being made, but I found out that he never ordered them. The addition was supposed to be finished at that point, so we felt stuck with what was installed. I'm sure he would have charged us for a new set of upper cabs and labor. He made a mistake for the fridge space, and he refused to fix it unless my parents paid. This was holding up installing the appliances and other work in the kitchen. My father felt like he had to pay to get the work going again to completion. I told the contractor that he cannot charge for his mistakes, and his response was: "if you want the changes, you have to pay."

This week, a subcontractor was there to do work, and the contractor was not there to supervise.

If it were up to me, I would have fired his sorry butt a long time ago.

The addition is almost finished now (over 8 months over).

This post was edited by grass-cat on Fri, Jan 9, 15 at 10:17

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

U r getting excellent advice. Get lawyer ASAP before contractor disappears and is say that's a strong possibility. Also be looking for replacement contractor....hoping for this guy to shape up is naive and will be expensive in the long run

• The_AmYam
    9 years ago

Intentionally lying to get the contract is fraud in the inducement. The subsequent actions could constitute negligence, not to mention outright breach of contract.

HIRE A LAWYER!

It sounds like you may be entitled to compensatory damages, which are available for breach of contract. Punitive damages are available for fraud.

Please get a lawyer. I'm an accountant and have to know this stuff to be a CPA but you really, really need an attorney.

You are entitled to cancel the contract but I suspect you'll have to get an attorney to get your $ back and get restitution.

• grass-cat
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for the responses. I will pass the info along to my parents.

The contract in which he lied was a contract with a subcontractor, not the contract to build the addition. That instance of fraud should be reported to the licensing board.

I think this contractor knows he can get away with things because of my parents' age.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

National Center for the Prevention of Home Improvement Fraud
    3525 Piedmont Rd Bldg 7 Suite 300
    Atlanta, GA 30305
    Ph4049026100

Maybe they can help.

• josephene_gw
    9 years ago

Ncphif.ord

Someone says also. SPAM.com

Good luck

Check also
    Home disasters

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

I have done my best to step in to try to get the contractor to fix his mistakes at no additional cost to my parents, but he reminded me that the contract is with my parents, not me. I do need to get on that contract.

If you get a "Limited Power of Attorney" to act for your parents in the matter of the addition and all dealings with the contractor ... you then have the legal right to negotiate with him. Period.

It makes you effectively on the contract without his having to agree to it :)