Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
obwannab

Lighting Budget?

obwannab
16 years ago

I realize this is a difficult way to assess this, but do ya'll have an estimate of what you spent on lighting as a % of your overall build price? If not, maybe you could just share what your budget or allowance was.

We're building a 2600 sq ft house(+ 400 sqft bonus over garage), 3 BR 2.5 bath. We've been to a few lighting houses, and they say the typical budget for our size house is around $2,000. We priced out every fixture we would need online last night, and ended up around $6,000. We didn't go top of the line on anything, all very mid grade.

This is in a higher end neighborhood, though it's not over the top. Average homes run around 100-150/sqft. Yes, we are in Texas!

There is no builder allowance, we can spend whatever we can afford(which is starting to look like not much).

Just going mid grade triples what the lighting people say is typical, I have to question that number. So, how much are ya'll spending in either total dollar amount, % of build, $/sq ft?

Thanks so much!

Comments (14)

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

We are also building 3 BR 2.5 bath house. The allowance for lighting fixtures that we used as a placeholder in our house budget was $2500. I'm finding that I can just meet that number, but to do so, I'm doing some bargain shopping online and putting more reasonable fixtures in the kids bedrooms. $2000 seems like it would be very hard, but if you really work at it, you could probably get that $6000 number down. I'm adding to a link that has a lot of good online lighting sources on it. You might want to start hunting around at some of them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lighting thread

• anthem
    16 years ago

Since this isn't constrained by a builder allowance you should look at the entire budget and spend what you can afford.

I've seen lighting budgets from $1/sq ft to $10/sq ft or more, so it can go all over the board. There are people whose entire lighting budget will fit into one persons chandelier budget. So there really isn't any "rules of thumb" here.

• jenanla
    16 years ago

We are owner/builder of our currently being built house so we don't have an allowance, but I'm having a hard time keeping it less than $2500. I'm still on the hunt for bargains.

In my current house which we had built 5 yrs. ago (it's a small Cape) our lighting allowance was $350.00 (yes I said $350.00). Needless to say I went over budget.

Jenn

• sniffdog
    16 years ago

ob

The 6000 may not be enough. Make sure you add in any costs for recessed lights, specialty lights (like LV) , and any other extra's like flood lights etc.

Our lighting allowance was 7500 and we ended up spending double that - for fixtures, recessed, and low voltage. And like you - we went with decent stuff but nothing over the top.

If you read other posts on this forum, you will see that many people go over the lighting estimates or allowances. Unless you plan on putting in low end fixtures - I would say 2000 is not enough - not even close. For example - let's say you plan on 20 recessed cans. If you use good housings and trims - which i would recommend - you are looking at 800 bucks just for the hardware! The add in the 75 to 100 dollars PER CAN that the electricians charge to install them. It's very easy to blow past 2 grand with lighting.

PS - don't forget to add in the cost for bulbs for all the fixtures. That can add up too.

• jaymielo
    16 years ago

As a small point of clarification, the numbers I referred to above do not include any recessed lighting. Where we are building, these are typically included in the electrical bid and the electical fixture allowance is just for ceiling mounted lights, sconces, etc. If I had to include recessed and low voltage lights, we would be completely off budget.

• wildwil
    16 years ago

Just built a 2000 square foot home and spent about 1200 on light fixtures. I put in several cans, but saved quite a bit by installing everything myself

• obwannab
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks guys! We had the chance to speak with a guy on our short list for builders, and he said basically he'd budget about $5500 on the typical build like ours. This was exclusive of any cans, which are included in the electrical bid. Looks like we are not as far off as we thought.

• mightyanvil
    16 years ago

Budgets for lighting vary greatly because I have found that there can be a great difference in what owners want in terms of the amount of lighting, the type of lighting, the control of lighting, special lighting effects, and the quality of lighting. No rule of thumb would be of much use unless you multiplied it by a factor for you personal taste in lighting.

• patty_cakes
    16 years ago

I'm building in TX also(Austin), and althought the builer will be putting in the package I choose, it's not staying. I have the option to have them re-moved by the lightig company, and trade in and choose whatever I want, and pay the difference. Whether i'll get them wholesale or retail is the question.

You don't say where you are, but my builder uses Park Row Lighting(www.parkrowlighting.com)and they have several locations. Looking at the site, I find them to be in the same catagory as an upscale business here in San Diego.

• Christine Decker
    16 years ago

We built in So. Cal Wine country area. We spent about 14,000.00 and we are still finishing our outdoor lighting which is not included in that. We have 4800 square feet on 5 acres. We also did the "smart home" automation which costs more on the front end but pays off when the elect. bill comes!
    I was skeptical but it is true! Our electric bill for 4800 square feet in new home is half of our old bill in previous home less than half the size!

• mommyto4boys
    16 years ago

That sounds low to me, especially if you like lights. We are building 4000sq ft and I'm going very low in the kids rooms etc, but it is really adding up fast. I'm using more sconces and pendants etc than would normally be considered an upgrade. Some chandeliers and foyer ligths can really add up quickly.

• grinder12000
    16 years ago

Here is a tip if you are looking to save a little money.

Get the expensive fixtures first - and bathrooms last - you can ALWAY buy new fixtures for the bathroom so make those cheaper and spend the bucks on the ones people will see.

• txgal06
    16 years ago

Just looked back at what I spent and it was under $3500, including light bulbs. That includes fans but cans were in the electrical budget. 3200+ sq ft, 4 br, 4 ba home. I shopped online and in the lighting stores and purchased two fixtures from Lowes to make it all work. It took work but I am pleased with the results but will replace the dining room fixure later. Difference of opinion with dh there. :) If you want more info on where I shopped, feel free to ask away. What styles are you looking for?