Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do I need french drains?

Posted by pvel (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 7, 11 at 5:22

I would appreciate any advice.Our new home is being built on a lot is at the base of a hill and has clay soil. Our neighbors had problems with standing water in their yard and had to install French Drains. I had discussed this potential problem with my builder and he assured me that they would take care of it by trucking in soil to raise the level and by grading the soil so the water would run off. Well, I think I am going to have a drainage problem, because even after they have truced in some soil, the land stays soggy after it rains for several days. I am wondering if I need french drains or something similar. If so, I would like to put it in before the yard is sodded. How can I know if I need them, other than relying on my gut? If I put them in, how can I be sure I have put enough drains to fix the drainage problem? Thanks, Paul

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do I need french drains?

You need them. I'll just confirm your gut. It all depends though on how much the wet ground bothers you. I have a dog so it bothers me a lot. You can grade so waters runs off but generally there are still issues.

I've built 2 houses. I've installed a lot of french drains after the fact. I'm getting ready to install some more.....

You should realize that sod helps dry the soil and winter is the worst for staying soggy. If your neighbor had standing water - that is pretty bad. I don't have standing water and you probably won't either but that doesn't mean you won't have soggy soil and wish that it wasn't so....

o
RE: Do I need french drains?

I put these in one new home with similar ground conditions--flat with high clay soil that left rainwater pooling for weeks on nearby properties. A relatively easy job when the home is being built and Cats have free rein; messy when you're working around an occupied home and trying to preserve yards, drives and plantings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here