Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
burbmomoftwo_gw

Floorplan for Review - 2015 Edition

burbmomoftwo_gw
9 years ago

After more than a year working with a builder on a plan that meets my wants and my budget, took step back and decided go a new direction, when we could not come up with 'the plan'. Took what I needed (family home, 2 children, Aging In-Law living with us, 2 Story) and what I wanted (large home, some high-end touches) and talked to a different architect. Today, the first plan arrived.

Thanks for any input.

Main Floor:

Comments (7)

• burbmomoftwo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

2nd Floor

• lafdr
    9 years ago

Is the "nook" where the dining room table will go?

I would want a coat closet or place for guest's coats closer to the front door.

I would prefer one oversized 4 car garage to a 3 plus 1. There is more flexibility, and a one car garage is narrow.

I am not sure how old your kids are, but it is quite far from the master bedroom to the kids's rooms in the dark at night. The placement of the stairs and master/kid's rooms looks like you won't hear them even if they are yelling or crying for you. I think I would at least want stairs closer to the master.

The deck might be more functional/accessible if in front of the family room instead of the in law suite.

There is a lot of hallway on the garage/laundry/in law area. I would try to minimize or find ways to have natural light there. it will be dark during the day with the lights off.

I love the big closet in the master.

I love the line of site out to the back yard from the entry.

I love the large kitchen pantry.

There are many nice details here :)

lafdr

• lafdr
    9 years ago

Is the "nook" where the dining room table will go?

I would want a coat closet or place for guest's coats closer to the front door.

I would prefer one oversized 4 car garage to a 3 plus 1. There is more flexibility, and a one car garage is narrow.

I am not sure how old your kids are, but it is quite far from the master bedroom to the kids's rooms in the dark at night. The placement of the stairs and master/kid's rooms looks like you won't hear them even if they are yelling or crying for you. I think I would at least want stairs closer to the master.

The deck might be more functional/accessible if in front of the family room instead of the in law suite.

There is a lot of hallway on the garage/laundry/in law area. I would try to minimize or find ways to have natural light there. it will be dark during the day with the lights off.

I love the big closet in the master.

I love the line of site out to the back yard from the entry.

I love the large kitchen pantry.

There are many nice details here :)

lafdr

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

We have a multi-generational household. If your aging in-law is still active and it is in the budget, I would suggest adding a separate sitting area and more storage space for that person, in lieu of the 4th garage space if necessary.

If not constrained by your site, a semi-detached garage and an in-law "wing" would make the house appear less massive.

Good luck!

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

I can't really read any dimensions, so I'm going on how things look --

I think you could make a better plan for the master bathroom - right now you've got a small vanity area right in the walkway into the bathroom, coupled with a linen closet right behind one of the sinks? I just imagine you and spouse bumping into each other, squeezing by the other person to access the rest of the bathroom and closet. It might be as simple as shifting the bath entry door over the width of the linen closet, putting the linens on the side with the vanity -- and moving the vanity a bit closer to the tub? (or incorporating the linen storage and vanities in some way?

Also, for safety, the toilet area should have a door that opens out, or you could put in a pocket door? Could you borrow some sq. footage from the closet and not really loose actual "closet" (just walkway width)? and use that to your advantage in the bathroom?

Does the shower have any natural light?

Can the in-law suite hallway accommodate a wheel chair or walker? Can a wheel chair make the turn into the bathroom?

I really like the kitchen/dining/great room space and the view from the front entry through the house. I can't really read the detail in the kitchen, and it may just be a place holder in the design, but in a house this grand, I'd expect a larger cooktop/range. Also -- what is in the corner by the pantry? --

Also, though I'm more a fan of laundry rooms near the bedrooms -- I sure like the size of yours!

• rmsaustin
    9 years ago

Duplicate, sorry.

This post was edited by RMSAustin on Sun, Feb 1, 15 at 21:18

• burbmomoftwo_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Larger picture of the main floor