Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Applying stucco in cold weather

Posted by bommai (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 8, 10 at 1:37

I am building a new house in Melbourne, Florida. While it is not as frigid as most of the country, it did get cold here (nights were around 30 degrees). My builder is doing stucco over wire lath in the second story and over concrete blocks in the first story. I thought stucco needs > 40 degrees for 48 hours. My builder told me not to worry and that it will be fine. Should I be worried?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Applying stucco in cold weather

from what i hear it's best to let stucco sit, the longer the better. You want the first coat to sit and crack if necessary that way the second or final coat goes up and fills those gaps. Also i think the cold weather helps it dry slower which is also a good thing.

o

Cement stucco cures by a chemical reaction that is slowed down in cold weather so if the temperature is below 40 degrees the materials should be heated or the building heated and covered. Obviously it can't be allowed to freeze.

Acrylic stucco has polymers that will dry slowly and fail to form the proper bonds below 40 degrees.

Ask your contractor (in writing if possible) what precautions he plans to take if the temperature drops below 40 degrees.

o

Traditional three coat stucco applications over wire lath should not be applied below 45 degrees. The first coat is the scratch coat followed by the brown coat which can be applied the next day after the scratch when 45 degrees or warmer. The scratch/brown coat then must set for a minimum of thirty days before top/color coating with the base stucco coat. As Iamsum states, this is to let the scratch/brown coats crack as much as they are going to before top coating. If you are in an area with freezing periodic temperatures, you are not going to want to use the traditional top/base color coat stucco, but rather an acrylic or elastomeric top/ color coat that remains flexible with temperature changes and it's other advantage is that it remains virtually crack free. Ask your contractor what he is using as a top coat, especially over the block.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here