Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
magsmayers

Is it worth it to do USB outlet in new house?

magsmayers
9 years ago

We are building a home and trying to figure out electrical upgrades currently. A friend suggested that we do USB outlets in the bedroom and at the catch-all desk in the mudroom for phone charging. Is this a thing of the future? It seems unnecessary, since our iphones have the adapter plug for the charger. Is there any other reason to do this that I'm unaware of? Thanks for your feedback!

Comments (22)

• funkycamper
    9 years ago

It just means less little gadgets and pieces to deal with. There are outlets with both regular plugs and USBs on the same wall plate so it's not a big deal to add a few. Well, I didn't do the wiring myself but my husband never mentioned any problems with installation. And, yes, with so many USB-powered items, it probably is the wave of the future. I'd do it. In fact, I did.

• pwanna1
    9 years ago

I have no personal experience, but I do know my brother did this and he now won't use them. He had trouble with them. I don't really remember what the issue was (maybe dirty electric? Maybe battery drain?) Honestly, I tend to tune him out when he and my husband start talking tech stuff, but I did catch that they were not happy with the USB plugs in the outlet and they have gone back to using their power bricks and USB cords for charging stuff...for what it's worth...

• galore2112
    9 years ago

The USB outlets that I have seen fit a standard electrical box. So it's not something you have to meticulously plan for. You can just install one in 10 minutes and if you don't like it or if the USB outlet is obsolete in the future it takes only a few minutes to remove it.

• worthy
    9 years ago

Seemed like a great idea. Until I took the above poster's suggestion and Googled up loads of disinterested forum posters etc confirming similar problems. For instance, this dis-assembly and analysis of a combined USB /120v outlet. It finds, among other things, that the DC portion of the unit is not grounded and there are no charge port controllers, explaining perhaps the frequent complaints that wall outlets won't charge S4 Galaxies.

• Pinebaron
    9 years ago

Not keen on USB power plates, still prefer discrete devices due to reliability issues.

On a secondary note, when I built my current house in 97, it was pre-wired for a dozen phone lines and two RJ45 ports per room (12 rooms in all). Each faceplate has two multi-line phone ports (2x6) and two RJ45. We had six phone lines till recently, reduced to two when I finally let Verizon move copper phone line connections to FIOS and eliminated four lines that were seeing little use. RJ45's are wired to a Switch and a HUB in the basement where my data center lives, and continue to be used in rooms for desktop computers or HDMI over CAT5 (CAT6 was not an option at that time). The new home (building later this year) will be equipped with a fiber optic network capable of supporting 40-Gbps and even possiblly 100-Gbps depending on distance to the switch, for data and multi-media purposes. I currently have Verizon business fios 50gb/50gb and will miss that dearly in the new home site which is equipped with Comcast cable; no chance of getting Fios with only 13 lots over 64acres.

• nostalgicfarm
    9 years ago

We just completely remodeled a house to live in for a few years before we build. I spent about $150 on specialty USB outlets. They have a three prong on top, 2 USBs in the middle, and another 3 prong on the bottom. I went to all the big box stores and decided on what I wanted. Some had the USBS on the side, which looked weird. I have one on each side of the living room (1 for me, one for hubby). Hubby wanted one by kitchen counters for "guests". We have one behind each of our night stands, and also one in each of the kids rooms (placed where they can charge and play). My oldest just turned 9, and the youngest is 4. The kids just got their own iPads, and we have 2 more iPads plus phones. That would be ALoT of adaptor pieces! I love having the adapters already there. The only problem we have has is that the 3 prongs have some security feature that makes it harder to get the two prong things in, but I would imagine my other outlets would be the same if I didn't purchase cheaper versions without that security thing in them. I would also imagine not all USBS outlets have that. (It's aplastic piece that needs to be moved over as you are putting a regular plug in.)
    A lot of the USB outlets I saw only allowed for one 3 prong and about 2 USB. I like having both 3 prong for flexibility. My husband installed them with minimal additional effort above every other outlet he installed. (He installed all the switches, outlets, and bathroom outlets, along with every light fixture!....I did all the switch plate covers and light bulbs!)
    If in 5-10 years they change to something other than USB, what are you out? $200? I know I blow more than that on stuff that doesn't make my life as easy as these have made it since September!

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

We thought about them but for most things, we like to have them on a separate surge protector when we are charging them, and the outlets do not have a surge protector.

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

These things change pretty quickly. In fact there's already a new usb spec (usb type-C). Who knows, inductive charging might even take off eventually.

Given a USB plug adapter costs $5-$10, personally I think it's simpler to just buy adapters as needed.

• amberm145_gw
    9 years ago

We have some, and LOVE them. But whether we'd get the electrician to put them into the new house depends on what he wanted to charge us.

They cost about $15 per outlet, and can be installed myself in about 10 minutes. If the electrician wanted to charge more than $15 each for them, I'd tell him to skip it. I would assume he could get the plugs for less than I can, and he doesn't need to buy the regular plug, and I'm paying him to install a plug anyway. So if he wanted to charge me more, I'd assume he was charging me a "luxury tax".

I don't think we'll even ask him about them. We'll DIY it later to avoid confusion over WHICH outlets will have USB in them.

And if, in 10 years, USB outlets are a laughable throwback to 2014, we can put back the standard ones.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

What you are installing as part of an electrical receptacle is a small AC/DC Power Converter the performance of which is dependent on the quality of the circuit and the controls which might include a micro-processor to accommodate charging multiple devices. Some work well but some fail in a matter of weeks or months. As with receptacles, you should avoid buying the cheapest model available.

The voltage will be a nominal 5v and the amperage is usually between 2 and 4 Amps. This current is shared between the multiple USP dedicated charging ports and one port may be more powerful than another (i.e., 1.1A for a phone and 2.1A for a tablet).

Your grandchildren will ask what they were for.

• magsmayers
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all so much for your feedback! I think we will have the electrician price them out and go from there. I really appreciate everyone's input.

• worthy
    9 years ago

a fiber optic network capable of supporting 40-Gbps

That would be capable of downloading a full DVD in two seconds. What service provider delivers that speed? And really what could you possibly be doing to need that? Or is it like the (imaginary) McLaren MP4-12C in my garage--just to have it?

The fastest cable available here from Rogers is 350Mbps. We get along with pokey 60Mbps.

• caben15
    9 years ago

USB 3.1 Type C is on the way. A new connector. The value proposition of the new connector is that it's reversible. Current USB connectors only go in the right way. There is no "wrong" way with the new one. That seems like a pretty solid usability improvement over the old one. Not sure how long it'll take to get market adoption, but I wouldn't bet on it taking as long as 10 years. This article isn't clear if it's compatible with Type A ports without an adapter.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

The fastest cable available here from Rogers is 350Mbps. We get along with pokey 60Mbps.

I can't even imagine having numbers that good. We barely had broadband under the old definition, definitely do not have it under the new definition.

• Rick M
    last year

Thinking through installing usb and usb c plugs , any more recent views on this since many years ago?

• Sara Mir
    last year

We installed 6 in our kitchen last year. Each has 2 regular outlets, 2 USB, and 1 USB-c. All the usb are in between the 2 3-prongs. It was an up charge but i don’t remember how much. Overall I’m pleased to have them but would not do the ones on island again (no need — guests either bring the whole charging thing or nothing, no one carries around just the wire. Also I didn’t pick the ones I have. I asked for Lutron brand but they installed something cheaper. It’s fine so far but the spacing is such that I cannot use the usb AND a 3-prong plug at the same time. Maybe it’s by design to avoid overcharge but it’s annoying.

• Paul F.
    last year

All kitchen counter plugs should be GFCI or piggyback off one for safety reasons. I'm using Legrand plugs whereever convenient. I'm also installing a few hidden countertop chargers in the kitchen and around the house. Charge your phone wirelessly through the stone or wood.

• Rick M
    last year

For installing the hidden countertop chargers what part of the process handles this? The Millwork or once it’s installed the electrician comes in? Or once the Millwork is made but not installed it’s setup?

• PRO
    Mark Bischak, Architect
    last year

Several years before this thread was started there was a discussion titled, "Should I Supply Electricity To Every Room In My New House?", but I think it took place at the town's general store.

• Paul F.
    last year

Rick, prior to the countertop going in but if you want them in certain areas then access to a plug or hardwire location is required. Some don't have much range so a hole must be made in the plywood so it can be placed against the slab.

• jkm6712
    last year

I use the USB ports in my bedroom and den regularly.