New build: Our Steel Beams look Short..Advise Needed

kzim_gw
9 years ago

*delete*

This post was edited by kZim on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 22:13

Comments (20)

• renovator8
    9 years ago

Its not something to get upset about but it is something to ask the design engineer about. A review and sign off by the engineer should be required by the building code anyway.

It should not be difficult to provide proper connections and beam end restraints and misaligned bold holes and loose shim plates can be welded, etc.

I find it odd that a structural engineer would allow a steel girder to bear on the ends of dimension lumber.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

3 1/2" of bearing required in foundation beam pockets. Get out your tape, if not 3 1/2", it's a do-over.

• kzim_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*delete*

This post was edited by kZim on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 22:13

• renovator8
    9 years ago

If the bearing is short you can add an angle bolted to the face of the concrete designed by an engineer.

I would look more closely at the ends of the unprotected studs bearing directly on concrete. You might have to substitute a steel post.

In general it all seems like sloppy work.

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 8:28

• virgilcarter
    9 years ago

As others have suggested, you need to have your structural engineer visit the site and give recommendations. At the very least, you should request your local building official to visit the site for inspection and approval. Their response, however, may be the same: they want the design engineer to inspect and approve or make the appropriate design changes.

How are the steel beams going to be connected to the concrete walls and supporting posts?

As Reno commented, the photos suggest installers not very knowledgeable or competent in steel framing and connections.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Why did you remove half of the pictures?

• kzim_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*deleted*

This post was edited by kZim on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 22:17

• kzim_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*deleted*

This post was edited by kZim on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 22:20

• kzim_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*deleted*

This post was edited by kZim on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 22:21

• kzim_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*deleted*

This post was edited by kZim on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 22:22

• renovator8
    9 years ago

I'm going to guess that no design professional was involved with the design drawings, shop drawings or field inspection for this project.

I would get an engineer involved ASAP. And I would want that person to work for me not the builder.

• renovator8
    9 years ago

double post

This post was edited by Renovator8 on Mon, Jan 26, 15 at 16:52

• kzim_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*delete*

This post was edited by kZim on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 22:15

• galore2112
    9 years ago

My house is a concrete house with several I beams and three concrete on metal deck slabs over K joists.

During the city mandated field inspection by the structural engineer on record, he was very strict about verifying the pocket and beam overlap. He required 4 inches. There are about 80 pockets total.

Your concrete seems to be missing proper steel embeds for the beams to sit on. It looks like they are directly sitting on concrete?! How is that going to provide a controlled surface to distribute the pressure from the load?
    The SE for my house required 1/2 thick steel plates with 6" long 1" diameter steel studs embedded in the concrete (placed before the pour) so that there's a smooth surface to attach the beams and joists to. He also required that the beams and joists be welded to the plates so I'm surprised to see your pictures where the beam sits on barely 2" of jagged concrete. Won't that cause local pressure points that exceed the capacity of the concrete??

• kzim_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*deleted*

This post was edited by kZim on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 22:19

• kzim_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*deleted*

This post was edited by kZim on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 22:16

• millworkman
    9 years ago

What does the structural engineer say? End of the day the county is going to ask to see that the SE signed off on the approved and submitted drawings, what and how the GC feels is immaterial.

• gpmountainman
    9 years ago

If you had a licensed engineer sign off on your house plans, and the GC decided to change plans, the engineer and county needs to be aware of these changes as it can result in affecting a number of different things. If something were to happen due to the unsanctioned design changes, the engineer has no liability as the signed plans were not followed!

Get you GC to contact the engineering asap for a review and sign off.. that's the only way to proceed at this point.

• chiefneil
    9 years ago

Sounds like you need to contact the engineer who drew up your plans and pay him to do an inspection. Your builder is not qualified to make changes to engineered plans. I wouldn't count on much assistance from the county, either.

• kzim_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

*deleted*

This post was edited by kZim on Thu, Feb 5, 15 at 22:18