Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Door Heights and Windows

Posted by socom (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 23, 14 at 0:10

We are doing an addition to add a entry, great room, kitchen, and dining room. The new addition will give us 9 foot ceilings in these rooms. The remaining house (bedrooms and bathrooms) which is tore down to the studs will also be getting a face lift. The ceiling height in the existing bedrooms and hallways will be 8 ft. We have asked the contractor to trey all the ceilings in the bedrooms and the kid's flex room. My question is what to do with door heights and windows. Which should I do?

1.) Make all door heights at 6'8 and use a transom above the entry door and the patio door in the 9 foot ceiling areas.

2.) Make all the doors heights at 7' throughout the entire house. Contractor said it may cost more to find 7' interior doors since it is an uncommon size.

3.) Make the entry door and patio door 8' tall for the 9' ceiling areas and keep all of the other doors at 6'8 for the rooms with 8' ceilings.

As for the windows is it better to keep it at the same height from where the doors are or can they be taller?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Door Heights and Windows

Here is the floorplan. There are only 2 interior doors in the 9 ft ceiling area (mainly the middle section of the house).

o

I have 9 ft ceilings throughout my house. We have entry doors that are 6'8" with transoms. The windows are 6 ft tall but now that the house is framed I think that was a bit much but it was what the plans called for. All interior doors are standard 6'8" height. We haven't gotten that far in our build so I can't give an opinion on those but I think they'll look good as is. Here is a pic of the front of my house. The rough opening for the big double window in front is 6' x 6'. The window on the front porch on the same wall as the door is 3' x 6', those little openings on top and bottom are now filled in. That front door will have a transom.
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Thank you for sharing. I think that large window will be great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here