Comments (13)

• jabbahop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

below is the link to the pictures

Here is a link that might be useful: Vermont house update

• jakensydsmom
    18 years ago

Thank you for sharing! Hope you don't mind if I steal some of your ideas!

• nokeysyet
    18 years ago

jabbahop- lovely just lovely. i've followed your updates & so happy for you & your family! HELLO? those views?! oh my! love the doggies room, the lofts, screened porch, mudroom, love the slate tiles and boy... that master bathroom came out gorgeous. w/ wishes of the best of health & happiness to you & yours.

we are at the drywall stage. hope to be in around Oct (sometime). can't wait for that margarita!!!!!!!!!

• spunky_MA_z6
    18 years ago

I just found your site....what a beautiful home. It looks like you thought of everything and made such fabulous, liveable, stylish choices. I'm wondering, how much does something like this cost--ballpark? You can email me if you don't want to post that...I'm just wondering if I could have such a house if I get out Boston. My other questions is, how long has this project taken? Years? Months??

• jabbahop
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Overall it was pretty quick. We bought the land in May of '04. Engaged with an architect in June and had plans in late October. Built the driveway from July - October. Foundation was poured in late November and framing started in January. We moved in @ the end of July.

We have found that building here is not much cheaper than California where we came from. The big difference is the cost of land. Materials are just as expensive. Labor is a might be a bit cheaper overall but not significantly since Vermont doesn't have a big undocumented workforce that exists in California.

In the end you get what you pay for. We could have skimped and spent less than what we are getting but ours is completely custom with top quality materials and building practices so it will last and be comfy in the Vermont winters. We also have spent A LOT on the site work given we are off the road and up on a rocky ledge.

For building of the house (not including the road, site work and landscaping) we spent about $600K + built-ins and allowances. We have a lot of extra built-ins and details like porches, lofts, basement, radiant heat, generator, etc. that are great but added to the overall cost. BTW - this doesn't include the barn/garage space.

Hope that helps.

M

• spunky_MA_z6
    18 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing your information. It looks great--you ought to be very happy in your new home.

• pattyt
    17 years ago

WOW
    just beautiful!!!
    great views, beautiful house and a gorgeous family too!

• pghsteelerfan
    16 years ago

Just gorgeous! Would you mind sharing what type of wood you used on the family room floor, as well as the finish? I love how it looks!

• jabbahop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

the wood is brazilian cherry with a oil based semi satin finish.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

jabbahop, just reviewed the photo's of your new home. It is absolutely lovely. Wanted to ask, if I may, what is the paint color in Kellen's BR and the master bath. They look like RH Silver Sage, but wasn't sure.

Also, one thing jumped out at me that I thought hhhmmmm, one day she may question this decision. I'm speaking of the white front and white stools on the kitchen counter where I'm sure those darling boys of yours sit to eat, etc. Have you had to repaint that wall yet? LOL If you have any updated photo's I'd love to see them as I'm sure others would too. Thanks

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

I salute you! It is that rare combination of stunning and homey-feeling. I like some of the well-thought-out little things best: the dog room. And the phone niche--haven't seen that since my old bungalow built in 1938.

• jabbahop
    Original Author
    16 years ago

thanks for your nice comments.

Going into our 3rd year here and we still love it. Those touches you point out are what really make it feel like ours.

This summer we added a couple of new things - a big garden shed - for bikes and gardening implements, and a basketball court - for the kids (well really more for me!).

• Lori Billy
    15 years ago

I would like to see the pics... the link did not work for me. Any help?