Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bamagal25

Wilks Manor Houseplan

bamagal25
15 years ago

We recently built the "Wilks Manor" houseplan that we found via the internet. Before the building process started I searched online for photos and didn't find very many. I thought I would share how our house turned out for those that might be interested in this plan. We absolutely love our new home!

Image link:

Comments (26)

• dcarole
    15 years ago

Thank you for posting the picture. My future husband and I love this floorplan and are looking to build in the next 3 - 5 years. Any tips/hints/recommendations you can provide would be welcome.

• DonnaJoel
    10 years ago

My husband and I are getting ready to have a house built and we would love to built the Wilk Manor floorplan. Has anybody out there built this plan?

• billybaseball22
    7 years ago

Hey everybody, we are actually in the process of building the Wilks Manor house plan, and I am hoping this thread is still somewhat active or I can revive it, lol. Anybody willing to tell me what you liked about the plan or any advice or thoughts? Thanks, Bill

• Wanda Owens-Jackson
    7 years ago

Hi! We are building this home as well. Does anyone have photos to share? Thanks!

• jon doe doe
    7 years ago

Well I hope you didn't get your plan from basic design! The plan isn't worth the paper it's written on! The plan is flawed. Be sure the contractor looks at elevation well some walls they want you to build hinge walls on. Meaning you build a 9 foot wall and add a 1 foot wall on it. The roof plan shows what a bird sees as it flys over and tells you a pitch no heights and lengths of ridge beams. The arch in upstairs looking over family room is two feet off center of middle of the room. The door ways are mainly 32 inch openings not wheel chair accessible up stairs bath room is a 24 inch opening. I built this house I changed a lot of things. Many many flaws in design! I hope you have a great carpentry crew. Or went some where other than basic design to get your plan! If I were you don't do the back porch option as I did because it makes the living room small seeing how the arch way is coming in from the front door you don't want couch in aisle way. The small teased tv for living room is to small. Did away with that! Also I would put fire place in front of big window in living room just have a window on each side because with the fire place in corner you have a focus point to look that way. I'd rather look out window my self the fire place should have been put their. When you try to design the living room good luck cause where the master bedroom is with the big window you need an aisle way to get out of your bedroom!if you like sharp crisp lines it really pinches the living room! The material list from basic design is a joke as well. Do not pay for it! All in all it's a beautiful home but their are a lot of fleas with basic designs plan. I wish you the best!

• jon doe doe
    7 years ago

Anyone what ever you do do not buy this blue print from. basic design!!!!!

• jon doe doe
    7 years ago

Lol I mean design basics! Design basics! Design basics!

• millworkman
    7 years ago

Holy crap! If you want to have a scathing review taken seriously try using proper grammar and punctuation, and learn to proofread before hitting "submit". Also there is an edit button.

• jon doe doe
    7 years ago

Lol people get the point! Always nice to have a spelling bee grammar queen hanging around! Give your self a big hug for me!

• sprink1es
    7 years ago

I feel like I'm reading a blog on Facebook when there's an exclamation point after ever sentence. It hurts my head.

• millworkman
    7 years ago

Us? You write a scathing review, expect people to take you at face value and cannot follow any sort of grammar or punctuation standards and then call us out on calling you out?

• Farmhouse Family
    7 years ago

Thank you for taking your time to write a review. You could potentially save another person from the same headaches that you have gone through.

• Wanda Owens-Jackson
    7 years ago

Does anyone have photos to share?

• HU-961902044
    4 years ago

My husband and I are getting to build a Wilks-Manor.

• HU-961902044
    4 years ago

Is there anyone out there who has built this home and are super pleased? I’m hoping so...

• jon doe doe
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have built this house.Hopfully your plan is not from design basics. Things I recommend,change the fireplace, put it in the middle of the room,where big window is.

Theway way the fireplace is on the plan your focal point is looking away from the big window. With how the fire place sets it makes the living room hard to decorate couches/chairs due to the master bedroom doorway and the arch leading from foyer to living room.

The front and back porch are really small.

Another thing I didn’t like and I changed was the balcony looking out from the upstairs. It’s not in the center of the room. It’s offset.

There is a lot of other things you can do to make the place bigger,a lot of wasted

space behind walls and such.

I did the additional room I’ve the garage upstairs you can gain quite a bit of extra space in that room.

Hopefully you have a very detailed plan, Where I got mine from the roof plan showed the roof and pitch basically what a bird sees when it flies over. Had no elevations or lenghts for ridge. I also did block under front and back porch. Couple hundred dollars more in block, but the extra space is worth it.

Overall the the house is nice. But if ya take any advice from me. Put the fireplace in the middle of the big window. Then just do windows beside the fireplace.

Note to the carpenters building it check the wall elevations. Just buy longer boards and not do a knee wall on top of walls. Also I did a double band board on inside garage wall/kitchen wall. If I remember correctly they called for a board 12foot3 or something like that needed an extra inch and a half so instead of buying 30 more boards I bought 3.

Anyhow good luck. I’m sure you will love it.

• jon doe doe
    4 years ago

Lol I did edit the above post but for some reason it didn’t . Anyhow we be more thing to consider is door widths. I changed quite a few of them. The upstairs bathroom door is really small. I prefer 36 inch openings. I know you can’t get that on the upstairs. Anyhow that’s something to consider.

• Wanda Jackson
    4 years ago

Hello, will you please share some pictures. Your ideas are great. Thanks!

• HU-33449891
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

We built wilks manor in 2001

• Wanda Jackson
    4 years ago

Hi! Do you have pics to share?

• HU-33449891
    4 years ago

Yes

• HU-33449891
    4 years ago

Very happy with plan, made mods and used standard window sizes very close to what is in drawings

must have a good

foundation - concrete contractor

carpenter.

framed house in 2 weeks and roof in 2 weeks

• Wanda Jackson
    4 years ago

Please email to wandajackson8@yahoo.com

• HU-961902044
    4 years ago

My husband and I are currently building the Wilks Manor home plan. It is turning out nicely, but I totally agree with the previous comment regarding errors in the plan. We have filmed everything every step of the way and I am placing it on youtube. It was framed quickly and my builder is a very smart man with 40 years of experience. He recognized the errors early, after studying it, and made the adjustments as his contractors worked. It has gone very well.

• Wanda Jackson
    4 years ago

Hello! Where can I find the pics on YouTube? Thanks!