Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Progress photos to share

Posted by caseyb (My Page) on
Tue, Apr 12, 05 at 10:44

Here I am with my own photos to share... I 'm a little slow at adding new photos, but progress is slow too, so that's par for the course.

This is (was) a small simple victorian, one of four in a row built by the same owners in 1924, that we dismantled and rebuilt. The only original materials now in the house are: the decorative 'corbels' (brackets), most of the material in three of the original foundation walls (rebuilt in sections - fourth wall removed), most of the original sheathing boards, and some of the original exterior framing (if it was not specifically in the way of our new framing). I also found and saved a 1920 dime from under one layer of kitchen flooring.

The house is now becoming a sort of ecclectic victorian cottage - one former neighbor insisted that its original style was colonial revival (?), but we never liked him anyway. DH is a high-end custom cabinetmaker, with a lifetime of building/carpentry experience and high-end tastes, and everything about the house is over the top. We did/are doing almost everything ourselves, hiring only a mason/laborer for the foundation work, electrician, plumbers (one for the usual, and one to help/advise with the radiant floor heat system), plasterers (we hung the board), tiler, and eventually, finishers for our pine floors.

All the paint is California Paints, from their Historic Colors collection. I've really enjoyed working with this pallette. The exterior is only partially painted at this point, but I have a lot up on the interior. First floor is fairly open, and all public spaces. Upstairs are two bedrooms (including master), one and a 1/2 baths (1/2 in master) and a loft accessed by ship ladder. Downstairs in the basement are a full bath, laundry room, library/media room/third bedroom, and boiler room/storage (with an enclosed "wine cellar").

The original exterior footprint of the house was 20'x24', with a little 6'x6' bump out on the back. After digging out and extending the basement behind the house, and extending the first floor out toward the back (2nd floor bumps out 12'x4'), the new footprint is 20'x31' (approx).

Hope others will enjoy!

Casey

Here is a link that might be useful: photos on Yahoo!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Progress photos to share

Congratulations! I can only imagine the work you've done and you should be very proud of your accomplishments. I particularly love your pallette; probably because I have almost the exact colors in my new home. They work well together. Thanks for sharing the photos.

o

Casey ~
All I can say is WOW!!!!! That is really an undertaking and you all have done a fabulous job so far! I think what you're doing is much harder than starting from scratch with all new stuff, but it will be so worthwhile. Everything just looks great. I love love love your kitchen faucet. It looks so "right" with the house. Very cool. Keep up the good work!
Rita in Oklahoma

o

Thanks so much! :) It is fun to share.

o

Caseyb, that looks like an incredible undertaking it right! And did you do a great job! I've seen lots of houses done over, but that is a very, very nice job. Good luck with everything else and enjoy it when you finally get in. Congrats!

o

I have a few new photos! Spring 2005 album.
:)

o

And now I have more photos - the Summer 2005 album. I am pleased to announce that we have, at last, moved in. It is a dream come true!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here