Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexjo_gw

Frank Betz Culbertson

alexjo
14 years ago

Hi. My husband and I are about to embark on building our first home. Very exciting, but scary! We have chosen the plan by Frank Betz called the Culbertson. We love the layout, but I would really LOVE to see actual pictures of this home. Has anyone built it? Do you have pictures you would be willing to share? Also, any thoughts on the floor plan and any changes we might make to make it the most optimal living space for a family of 5 would be great! Thanks.

Comments (39)

• samwich
    13 years ago

Hi. My husband and I are also building The Culbertson. I was wondering if you ever came across any photos. Or have photos from your build. Thanks!

• Jpc8381_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Ok, one of you must be done with the home buy now :-) I also have chosen this plan, I am looking for the same info as well, any suggestions/ insights would be appreciated

• in_j
    12 years ago

Hi all.
    My wife and I are also just starting to build the Culbertson model in Indiana. We should break ground next week. I would appreciate seeing pictures of your homes if you have them. We (and our builder) have been unable to find the exact door with sidelights (see link) that is on Frank Betz's website. Were you able to find this? If so, where?

Thanks!

Here is a link that might be useful:

• Annicade
    12 years ago

we are building the culbertson too here at the end of sept!!! so excited to see others love love the plan as much as we do. Thanks for the sites samwich. I was expecting the keeping room to be bigger. We are only doing a fire place in the family room. Any one have any pictures to add!! Can't wait to see!!!

• wbowen
    12 years ago

Would love to see pictures as well!!! We are thinking hard about building this plan.

• erinkay9663
    12 years ago

We are planning on building this plan and would be very interested in seeing pictures!

• samwich
    12 years ago

We are nearing the end of our construction on the Culbertson so I will try and get some pictures taken this weekend to share. I'd happy answer anyone's questions if I can. I know I was hungry for information on it when we first started building. i just can't wait to move in at the end of the month!

• Annicade
    12 years ago

Us too!!!!! We should be in by end of April!!!! Will post pics too. Can't wait to see them. Sam, did u make any changes?

• Annicade
    12 years ago

Waiting to pick stone for the front!,, we think we r going with stone craft, ledgestone in Pennsylvania??? I'm real nervous to pick it...I want it to blend with the rugged canyon shake shingle and the harbor grey siding....I don't want it to be too too grey. Any suggestions? We added windows to the left side of the downstairs...a window in the kitchen, windows in the keeping room. we got rid of the fireplace in keeping room and added windows there...put acfrench door in breakfast area and a window where the original door was to go. We put sink on outside kitchen wall and just made the island without sink/dishwasher, but kept serving bar. I got rid of the built in wall pantry and had cabinet panties added. We r just doing a ventless gas fireplace in living room. Can't wait to see your pics sandwich!!!!

• erinkay9663
    11 years ago

We are in the process of building the Culbertson, as well, and I'd love to see any pictures of the finished home if anyone would be willing to share. Thanks!

• wkualum
    10 years ago

Does anyone have any pictures of the Culbertson plan?

• lloyd4577
    8 years ago

We have been in the process of building The Culbertson in Upstate NY, broke ground June 2014. We were not able to find many pics of the house other than the Frank Betz website and this forum. I have attached a couple of pics. Also the front door as in the design has to be custom built. We had it done as we loved the look of that door with the house design. I will update pics as we progress. I am actually siding it now with the record warmth this dec 2015.

• jenrenae02
    7 years ago

Hi there, We are also considering building the Culbertson! Anyone have interior pictures? Thank you!

• yankeesfan2018
    6 years ago

Hi there, we are also building the Culbertson in upstate NY.

We are in the same place you all were looking for interior pictures. Anyone want to come back and post some? I promise I will but right now it is just all studs. We are really trying to wrap our heads around how to furnish the keeping room and would love to see what you guys did. Thanks!

• yankeesfan2018
    6 years ago

• yankeesfan2018
    6 years ago

• Lloyd Warren III
    6 years ago
    This is where we currently stand as of the winter on 17-18 hopefully I can get the rest of the stone done this summer.
  • Lloyd Warren III
    6 years ago
    some inside shots, keeping room gets used as a play room.
  • yankeesfan2018
    6 years ago

Thank you so much nice to see those pics, beautiful home, can't wait until we are there!

• yankeesfan2018
    6 years ago

If you are up for showing it, what lighting did you use in the entry way...my wife and I have two very different ideas :)

• Lloyd Warren III
    6 years ago
    Wasn't sure about the black finish originally but it matches the iron balustrade. These are older pics, the walls are painted now..
  • Lloyd Warren III
    6 years ago
    current pics
  • yankeesfan2018
    6 years ago

Thanks pal...we are all brushed nickle, but it is great to see the size and lights that you chose to light the space. Thank you for sharing!

• Lloyd Warren III
    6 years ago
    I also installed a worm gear hand crank winch in the attic so I could lower the fixture for maintenance.
  • yankeesfan2018
    6 years ago

Railings on the front and back decks, and taping and sanding complete!

• yankeesfan2018
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

I looked at those systems and they were $900 so I opted to buy a ladder. Now that I think of it that was a moterized system, I didnt see the hand crank. It may be too late, but do you have the make and model? Also where did you put the crank?

• yankeesfan2018
    6 years ago

I am very jelous of your grass...I have some lovely clay mud, very sticky

• Lloyd Warren III
    6 years ago
    I devised my own chandelier winch. I'm a car dealer but mechanic by trade so I used a boat style winch with some coated cable. mounted near my catwalk in the attic. for electrical I bought a 20 amp spring wound extension cord reel and mounted above fixture in attic, so when I lower it the electric cable goes with it. This setup isn't as nice as the 900 dollar ones but will do the trick. Your house is looking great, Was wondering if you are nearby us upstate. We are near Binghamton.
  • yankeesfan2018
    6 years ago

Looks like I will have to do with out this as we are already sheet rocked and getting this in place would no longer be easy, so a ladder it is for me. I am in the Albany area, so close but not next door :)

• yankeesfan2018
    5 years ago

• yankeesfan2018
    5 years ago

We are at the goal line, move in next week!

• Lloyd Warren III
    5 years ago
    Congrats yankeesfan! Hope the move goes smoothly and enjoy your new home!
  • yankeesfan2018
    5 years ago

Lighting fixture similar to yours Lloyd!

• Bradley Atkinson
    5 years ago

Hi Loyd Warren III, could you tell me what type of stone you used on the front? Also, I saw you purchased the door from BWI, do you know how much it cost appx? Also, any idea the size with the transom and side lights? Thanks

• Cara Cragin
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

• Lloyd Warren III
    5 years ago

Bradley we used Boral Bucks County Southern Ledgestone. I drystacked it. As for the door it was custom built thru bridgwater in the size taken from the original plans I seem to remember our cost was 5500

• Lloyd Warren III
    5 years ago

Cara, your house looks beautiful! I love seeing everyone's take on this design!