Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Feedback please - Active Retirement duplex plan

Posted by jade.d (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 07 at 17:56

Hi, this is what we are suggesting to our builder. We have to work within the footprint of the duplex (realize that the bedrooms need windows), but have flexibility in the interior; approx 1456 ft2. The mechanical room will hold the hot water heater, furnace/AC unit, water softener and central vac. The wall down the garage / masterbedroom is the "shared" wall in the duplex. The duplex is in an active retirement area, so chances are there will only ever be a maximum of 2 people living in this home.

Image link: Feedback please - Active Retirement duplex plan (56 k)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Feedback please - Active Retirement duplex plan

Overall, I like it and think it's well thought out.

There are a few things that, personally, I would do differently - mainly, I'd try to rearrange things in order to move the laundry room access to the hallway near the bedrooms. It's just easier to do laundry if your washer and dryer are close to the bedrooms. But I understand that sometimes these things aren't possible.

I would move the access point of the pantry that's by the fridge to open into the hallway.

Alternatively, I'd eliminate the other pantry altogther and keep the one by the fridge just as it is, because you don't have as much counter space as I'd like to see.

I can't tell which entry is the main or "front" entry where guests would come in. Personally I prefer an entry into the living room instead of the dining room. Assuming there is no reason in particular for the placement of these rooms (such as a view that you want to take advantage of), I would "flip" the dining/kitchen/living if the front entry is currently in the dining room, and besides just perferring the way it looks, I have another reason:

I have my dining table positioned closer to the front door than my living room, and a lot of times, people will seat themselves at the table right after coming in. I'd rather they go back to the living room but have to be alert and quick to stop them from sitting at the table...

But, like I said, the arrangement looks like it would work well overall, and admire the use of space.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here