Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any photos of shingle flare returns at door ways...

Posted by mlo1 (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 3:12

I am struggling on framing my flare returns at the homes man doors and slider. While I have been able to find some photos of flares, none show actual "returns" around lower story doors. My shingle flare which has a depth of 4.5 inches also seems slightly more exagerated than the flare's I have seen. Seems 2.5-3 inches may be more normal and possible easier to deal with.

Everyone around me thinks I have gone mad pursuing this process. I'm determined but stuck. I have contacted every cedar yard around and even ran an add for a tradesperson to consult with...no luck.

Thanks for any leads.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any photos of shingle flare returns at door ways...

Usually the flare is shallow enough or starts low enough thet it isn't a problem at the door trim. If it is larger here are some possibilities.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
You can also thicken up the door trim with a band molding to reduce the amount of flare projecting beyond it.

o
RE: Any photos of shingle flare returns at door ways...

On my build there is 9 inches from top of the subfloor down to the foundation ledge that protrudes 4.5 inches. That area directly below the door thresh-hold where the flare would not exist (if returned on both sides) has me confused. Our slider which faces directly south needs to have a landing built with steps. So I am unsure how to finish this for a long term weathertight transition over the foundation ledge.

I was actually wondering if it would be best to plan for the landing and steps to be freestanding. That would allow the flare to continue under the threshold and be joined in a continous weathertight manner. But then my big concern would be the proper construction of the top of the flare. Should it be planned as an extension of the threshold and made flat?

It has even crossed my mind to actually build "out" the two doors this affects (slider & rear man door) where they would be in the same vertical plane as the foundations outward edge. Though I certainly do not want to create something wierd.

Am I making more out of this than need be? Certainly open to opinions. Thank you mighty was a pleasure with my morning coffee.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here