Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizzou_kx

whoppers !!!!

Mizzou_KX
18 years ago

No, not tall tales or lies. I'm talking about the Hersheys "Malted Milk Balls". DW bought me a box of them last night and currently I'm OD'ing on them.

Was reading the ingredients and Nutrition Facts to make sure they weren't loaded with caffeine or other things that would cause me to post something stupid today. They do contain Barley malt.... gotta love that stuff. Course it's much better in it's liquid form.

But on the label it says "Serving Size 18 pieces - servings Per Container - about 8". Now, somebody tell me... WHO determines the serving size of Malted Milk Balls? What is so magical about 18? Why not 4 or 12, or 78 (which is about how many I've had this morning)? I mean, is there someone in upper management at Hersheys that's PAID to determine how many Whoppers make a meal? Geeeez, I'd like that job.

Comments (48)

• Brittta
    18 years ago

Remember that caffeine concern you had?

(Insert one of Mizzou's famous "Wal-Mart" faces here with rolling eyes of sarcasm)

• housewitch
    18 years ago

It's probably determined by the folks who tell you that 11 potato chips constitute a "serving." Whatever!

I LOVE whoppers, and will eat them until my tounge gets those little bumps all over it from being pressed against the crunchy centers. YUM!

• demifloyd
    18 years ago

Seinfield lives.

• okwriter
    18 years ago

Not that there's anything wrong with that...

• Brittta
    18 years ago

NO chips for you! Come back 2 months.

• okwriter
    18 years ago

LOL@BRittta!!!!

• energy_rater_la
    18 years ago

I think serving sizes should be what you
    can eat without throwing up.
    Anything less is restraint & should be rewarded.
    Cheesecake is a nice reward for me.

• okwriter
    18 years ago

Not sure Mizzou is "whopper worthy." Bwaaaahhaaaaahaaaaaa!

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

just call me the "Whopper Nazi".

Serving size 18???? Who do these people think they are anyway? I'm down to about half the box and I feel perfectly fine. A little light-headed though. Must be the Fractionated Partially Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil.

Y'all (proper spelling by the way) let me know if I start posting stupid stuff or get carried away on here today.

• ItAintEasy
    18 years ago

Now there's something I'd never expect.

• Brittta
    18 years ago

How would we distinguish that from any other day, Mizzou?

• chisue
    18 years ago

"Get carried away"? Not if you eat enough Whoppers.

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Don't you worry about shrinkage from eating too many Whoppers!?

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Na, I don't worry about shrinkage. I weight 164 soaking wet. This is from someone who can eat a 12 pak of frozen fudge bars while watching one movie. Then go get something for dessert. Which reminds me, I haven't checked the freezer tonight. Wonder what she brought home today?

• Brittta
    18 years ago

My freezer has 5 frozen mice and 2 frozen rats, a gallon sized ziplock bag full of roe (steelhead) for use as bait during a future fishing trip. There is also DH's supply of shake fixin's... he got a genuine shake mixer for Christmas from my mom, and the boy hasn't gone a night without a shake ever since. Hasn't gained a pound, either. You boys make me sick. I swear I drove by a Krispy Kreme donut place today and needed to let my belt out a notch. Grrrrrr.

• Nancy in Mich
    18 years ago

Does the serving size box say anything about an ounce?

I LOVE Whoppers and also eat them until my tongue is sore. You'd think the creamy chocolate coating would sooth between episodes of roughness, but it doesn't.

How do you all eat your Whoppers? Crunch them whole? (I bet Mizzou eats them that way.) Let them melt slowly in your mouth until the chocolate and then the malt disolves? Does anybody else like to bite them in half and let your saliva melt the center and then play the little chocolate half-sphere around with your tongue until it melts too?

Anyone find that morning coffee is never the same once you try it with malted milk balls or other chocolate confections on the side?

• ItAintEasy
    18 years ago

Hmmmm... frozen mice and rats.

You michigan people are sure....well....interesting eaters. And your husband makes shakes out of those?

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Whoppers are the worst Malted Milk Balls around. Brach's are the best. I've never heard of Hershey's MMB's. I bet they are even better.

I do all of the above, Nancy. Except drink coffee. Yuk!

I REALLY like it when you get one that the malt was missed or something and it gets all hard and chewy when the chocolate melts in your mouth!

• Brittta
    18 years ago

ItAintEasy.... yeah, DH used to be a vegetarian, then he realized that "animals taste good", so he's experimenting. (Kidding, I think the boy cut his teeth as a baby on steak and burgers)

Seriously, though, that's for our ball python, Tom. He's being a little picky, though, and won't eat the rats... he'd rather eat a few mice instead. I think he's just lazy ;)

As for the Whoppers, I never thought about it but I guess I'm guilty of biting them in half. I do the same with peanut M & M's... but I let them melt in my mouth regardless.

Ever try animal crackers with your morning coffee? Just enough sweetness to not ruin a good cup of coffee with light cream (no sugar), and Sam's Club sells the crackers by 20 gallon jugs. Can't beat that!

• allison0704
    18 years ago

How many animals crackers are in a serving, Britta?

• Brittta
    18 years ago

10 crackers per serving. Unless you get an elephant, then it's 8.

And for what it's worth, I like cats (for the most part). I'd post that in the other thread bashing cats, but my stupid mouse isn't working on the laptop and it's taking me forever switching from thread to thread using this stupid touch pad thingy. My stupid thumb keeps getting lazy and putting my cursor in places I didn't even know would allow typing.

• Nancy in Mich
    18 years ago

That reminds me of an elephant joke from the old Scholastic elepant joke book.

How do you get an elephant into a milk jug? You get a pair of binoculars, look at the elephant backwards through the lenses so that it is very small. With a pair of tweezers, pick up the elephant and drop it into the milk jug. Don't forget the cap, or he'll escape!

Animal crackers are one of my favorite cookies and I agree that the coffee should not be sweet when eating sweets with it. I am stuck with decaf, though. GERD :-(

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Did your mom ever ice animal crackers? I was never crazy about doing that.

I like to put one in my mouth, take a swig of coke and let the cookie melt in my mouth. Nilla Wafers are good that way too!

• okwriter
    18 years ago

Na, I don't worry about shrinkage. I weight 164 soaking wet.

I suspect that loud SWOOSHing noise we heard was allison's 'shrinkage' comment going right over Mizzou's head... Ummmmmm, it doesn't have anything to do with weight, buddy.
    :-)

• allison0704
    18 years ago

I wasn't sure what he meant by that comment. Had nothing to do with "shrinkage." Maybe he's not such a Seinfield fanatic after all!

• demifloyd
    18 years ago

I propose we officially declare this "The Summer of Mizzou"

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

It must have been a "SWOOSHING" noise. I thought she politely was telling me that Whoppers could cause weight gain. Guess I need an explanation. Anybody?????

• okwriter
    18 years ago

From the script of that particular episode:

(Jerry and George talking in Jerry's room.)

George: Did she do it on purpose?

Jerry: It was my fault, I told her the wrong door.

George: I was supposed to see her. She wasn't supposed to see me.

Jerry: So what?

George: Well ordinarily I wouldn't mind. But...

Jerry: But...

George: Well I just got back from swimming in the pool. And the water was cold...

Jerry: Oh... You mean... shrinkage.

George: Yes. Significant shrinkage!

Jerry: So you feel you were short changed.

George: Yes! I mean, if she thinks that's me she's under a complete misapprehension. That was not me, Jerry. That was not me.

Jerry: Well, so what's the difference?

George: What if she discusses it with Jane?

Jerry: Oh, she's not gonna tell Jane.

George: How do you know?

Jerry: Women aren't like us.

George: They're worse! They're much worse than us, they talk about everything! Couldn't you at least tell her about the shrinkage factor?

Jerry: No, I'm not gonna tell her about your shrinkage. Besides, I think women know about shrinkage.

George: How do women know about shrinkage?

(They see Elaine walking down the hall) Elaine! Get! (She enters) Do women know about shrinkage?

Elaine: What do you mean, like laundry?

George: No.

Jerry: Like when a man goes swimming... afterwards...

Elaine: It shrinks?

Jerry: Like a frightened turtle!

Elaine: Why does it shrink?

George: It just does.

Elaine: I don't know how you guys walk around with those things.

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

oooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. THAT kind of shrinkage. I need to go edit my reply.

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Wait a minute. Does chocolate cause that too? Or is it the malted milk? Quick, I gotta know. There's an Snickers bar in my desk drawer and now I'm afraid to eat it.

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Eat it....you see what happened to Alice in Wonderland! ;0

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

OK, now I'm feeling like allison on the "Can't we get this done" thread. WTH does Alice in Wonderland have to do with this? Did she have shrinkage???? No, that probably was Peter Pan. I'm confused!!!!!

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Geez, Mizzou! Alice eats a mushroom and shrinks.

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

... all of her???? I don't guess I ever read Alice in Wonderland. Or is that Neverland? No, that was the shrinking nose.

• chisue
    18 years ago

Alas, the Neverland thing appears to be a shrinking case for the prosecution. So, it's fine for a child to sleep in the same bed with a strange man AS LONG AS NOTHING HAPPENS?

Did anyone expect this former child actor to say he'd been molested? He still has hopes of a career -- unfounded, I'd say, but he has hopes.

• blsdgal
    18 years ago

The best malted milk balls are the ones they sell in bulk at the Cracker Barrel restaraunts.

Try them, and then tell me I am wrong.

DH and I are also big Seinfeld fans and I have loved this thread. Our banker has an autographed photograph of the soup nazi in his office and I tried to steal it, I liked it so much.

• allison0704
    18 years ago

My DH brings me a Hershey Bar with Almond every Saturday from Cracker Barrel. They are made especially for them and taste different from the grocery store ones.

• tnlamar
    18 years ago

Love the food at CB, but every time I go there it's like a screaming kid convention.

• allison0704
    18 years ago

I don't even go. He works out on Saturdays with his brother then they go there...bonding time, ya know. I've eaten at one once in Gatlinburg. Can't stand noisey places. What about the place with peanut shells on the floor...a steak place. Geez...LoneStar Steakhouse, maybe? Once was too many times there also.!

• tnlamar
    18 years ago

Dang Allison! I didnt know we were neighbors. Lets make some biscuits.

• blsdgal
    18 years ago

tnlamar,

We ate there this afternoon with our brood and there was a screaming kid convention--but it was at our table! Arghhh.

They also have these really cool chocolate cherries that I am sure are covered with some horrible cancer causing red dyes. But, man are they yummy.

Can't beat that place for comfort food.

• Kristy_SC
    18 years ago

A serving size is whatever makes the calories/fat seem acceptable. Have you ever seen the serving size on a can of vienna sausages (gag, DH loves them) it's like 1/2 a weiner, and they're only 2 inches long to begin with!

• tnlamar
    18 years ago

The last time I went to CB these two women let their kid scream for a half hour unchecked. After asking the waitress twice to speak to them, I told her I would if she didnt. She promptly scurried off to the kitchen to get the Mgr. As soon as he emerged, the little monster shut up and never made another sound. I now never go there for fear of looking like an arse again.

• sugar_and_spice
    18 years ago

I heard if you eat too many you can turn into a street tough and the next thing you know you are steeling armoire's from the street wearing a puffy shirt being called a low talker or even a close talker.

And don't even get me started about Master of My Domain ! Did someone say chocolate ? ............"I'm out"

I love Seinfeld and I love whoppers.

This has been a fun thread.

• carolyn53562
    18 years ago

It's all marketing. If the bag just said the amount of calories in one Whopper, you'd exercise restraint because you'd probably eat them one at a time and think of the calories adding up with each one that you ate. But if it says there are 18 pieces in a serving, you start out eating the 18 (probably in handfuls) and then if you go over the 18 you'd think of the extra calories in groups of 18. And if you eat the whole bag, thinking that you ate 8 servings of Whoppers sounds a lot better than thinking OMG I ate 144 whoppers today! This would make a great Seinfeld episode! I wonder if you can eat a Whopper with a knife and fork.

• Kristy_SC
    18 years ago

DH says it's how many you can stuff in your mouth at one time...

• allison0704
    17 years ago

That sounds like a great way to judge serving sizes, Kristy.

• catchmeifyoucan
    17 years ago

That method would probably work for a lot of things.