Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mizzou_kx

...and another thing...

Mizzou_KX
18 years ago

I got to work early today and so I made the first pot of coffee. The coffee can was almost empty and all I needed was 2-1/2 scoops. I got about 1-1/2. Oh there was STILL coffee in the can but you couldn't get it out. The little scoop wouldn't scoop it out of the corner and when you cut the lid off it left about a 1/4" rim around the top of the can so you couldn't POUR it out either.

No what brain-dead idiot came up with that idea. At least one full scoop of coffee left in the can and you CAN'T get it out. Only way I know is to vacuum it out, but then it'd be inside the dust bag.

And another thing. My wife has been buying toothpaste in these little plastic flip-top containers. You know how much toothpaste remains in those darn things after you get out all you can get out. Even then you have to turn the dang thing upside down, bang it in the palm of your hand and the flip the top and squeeze. Man, give me those old tubes any day. You can roll those dudes up tight and get darn near every last drop of tootpaste out of those.

Now, Malted milk balls. THAT'S PACKAGING at its best. Just pop that box open like an old milk carton and start pouring. They roll out of there so easy and there's never one left in the bottom.

Just more rantings on the wasteful packaging of products.

Comments (48)

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Things that come in "pump" bottles. The pump straw (?) never goes close enough to the bottom of the bottle so there's always LOTS of shampoo, spray, whatever left. Then you have to unscrew the top which has the straw (?) attached and hit the bottle hard in you hand to get some out. You can't turn it upside to let the rest flow to the unpside-down top for next time because of the "pump" sticking out the top!

Light bulbs - no wasteful packing there. Ice cream either.

• ItAintEasy
    18 years ago

I'd like to go back and time and do something nasty to whoever designed paint cans. How can anyone pour out a portion without filling up that little rim with paint? And why'd it take so long for paint to come in recloseable plastic buckets with built-in pour spouts?

• Brittta
    18 years ago

What about how Ellen Degeneris pointed out that scissors come in those plastic sealed containers you need SCISSORS to open (that's why I bought the scissors, you know) and yet you go to the light bulb isle and light bulbs come in this flimsy cardboard that slides out of the cardboard holding all the cardboard holding the lights.

• Margerie
    18 years ago

If anyone wants to be frusturated with packaging, come over to my place in a couple of weeks for my 2 year olds birthday party. She will get some toys and every little plastic person/animal/block will be tied with a wire, and/or screwed into a plastic plate. This is after you get through the actual box with a pair of scissors.

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

... and WHO decided that Cocoa Pebbles and Wheaties needed to be packaged in bullet-proof, rip resistant, Kevlar reinforced bags. These thing are a REAL PIA to open nowadays. By the time you get to the cereal you're either late for work, or you just say oh, the he!! with it I'll just have some more coffee.

• tnlamar
    18 years ago

why the heck does everything have to be hermeticly sealed "for safety"? Is someone going to poison the fuel addative so as to kill me when I drink it?

• housewitch
    18 years ago

I've tried the new plastic paint containers with the "built in pour spout." I must be doing something wrong, because those darn things make WAY more mess than the old kind (which I agree are also annoying) because the paint in/on the spout has about a 50% chance of running back into the can. The rest of the time, it runs out of the can and down onto whatever surface the paint can is sitting on - like my brand new white marble tile with very light grey grout.

My absolute favorite, though, is the Delonghi coffee maker my Mom gave us for Christmas. It's like the only coffee maker we could find with an insulated carafe (DH drinks his at least an hour and a half before I get up & re-heated coffee sucks) and a delayed brew (DH, who NEEDS coffee, isn't functional enough to actually MAKE coffee in the mornings) that produces really hot coffee (which is just better than luke warm coffee). So, for $200, my Mom buys us this lovely, sleek, wonderfully functional Italian coffeemaker. Guess what? The d@mned carafe is shaped in such a way that the laws of physics prohibit pouring anything out of it without the liquid dribbling down the outside of the pot onto the counter. We have to pour our coffee over the sink. And, at the same time, the design somehow keeps you from getting the last tablespoon or so of liquid out of the carafe. I haven't figured out why yet, but there is ALWAYS coffee (or water when you wash it) left in the carafe, even after you remove the lid and turn it completely upside down. I swear, I think it probably took a team of engineers months to come up with such a poor design.

• allison0704
    18 years ago

I bought my husband a black carafe coffee maker because the perfectly good white one didn't look good on the new dark granite. He'd fill it up with water the night before, setting the timer, etc. TWICE in ONE WEEK he woke up to coffee all OVER the counter and floor/rug because you had to get the d*mn thing JUST RIGHT to make it go in the hole. New coffee maker was donated to Hannah Home after second mishap. White coffee maker was already given away, so I had to purchase a THIRD coffee maker with carafe. This one makes luke warm coffee...so he buys a cup on the way to work now! Only uses it on Sundays. I'm open to suggestions for a brand that works since new house is not close to a 7-11. (Needs carafe and timer, please)

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

..... ..... ... but I'm not saying why.

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Oh, go eat your Snickers!

• demifloyd
    18 years ago

I love my Capresso. It has an insulated stainless steel carafe, a heated base that shuts off automatically after two hours, a feature that whips/foams milk for cappuccinos, and a timer. They make a model that grinds the beans so you can wake up to freshly ground, brewed coffee. The design of the carafe prevents spills when pouring, but there is always a small amount of coffee left in the bottom. It's easy to keep clean.

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Bought him a cappuccino maker for something...never used it. Hannah Home-d it too. FYI: The less stainless steel in my kitchen, the better!

• okwriter
    18 years ago

Mizzou OD'd on Whoppers. Either that or he finally got the shrinkage thing...

• punamytsike
    18 years ago

Ladies, just lets try to be gentle on our resident male goof, OK ;) We do not want to spoil his day, do we :) (pointed at okwriter's last comment)
    As for packaging, I love the new plastic coffee canisters. They are great for all kinds of uses after the coffee is gone...

• energy_rater_la
    18 years ago

locking gas caps
    come on! if they want it bad enough to SUCK IT OUT
    they can have it...if the dogs don't eat them first.

gas cans
    why all the hassle of taking the spout off then
    putting it all back together?
    What about another opening for the gas nozzle?

Why does oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid,
    power steering fluid, water for the radiator, windshield cleaner & gas all have seperate places to refill?
    It would be much simpler to have one opening where
    things go where they are needed.

Why isn't there some way to seal caulk great stuff
    and like materials so that you don't have to use
    them all or they will harden & you have to buy more?

Why don't more stores keep thier soft drinks in
    those freestanding beer containers with ice?
    Do they really think a cooler with NO DOOR keeps
    things cold? What a waste of energy, they should
    be penalized!

Why does my utility company charge me 10.29 cents
    per kilowatt hour & my neighbor who uses 3x the Kwh
    only 5.2??? I am being overcharged for being energy
    efficient. If I had 100,000. I would get off the grid
    & sell my excess to them for .35 per Kwh like they charge
    us at peak usage.( pet peeve & my utility provider
    contracts thier work out to me!)

A good thing I saw was Coors or some beer mfg
    has plastic bottles & the box is used as an ice
    chest...need diet coke that way!

• ItAintEasy
    18 years ago

"Why does oil, transmission fluid, brake fluid,
    power steering fluid, water for the radiator, windshield cleaner & gas all have seperate places to refill?"

i'm not a mechanic, but would you really want to mix all that stuff up? i mean, water in the oil probably isn't good.

"Why isn't there some way to seal caulk great stuff
    and like materials so that you don't have to use
    them all or they will harden & you have to buy more? "

they make a little rubber thingie for this....

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

WHAT???? Beer in plastic bottles? Now I know the world is ending. It was bad enough when they went to cans.

I WILL NOT buy beer in a plastic bottle.

• housewitch
    18 years ago

NO to beer in plastic bottles. Heck, I won't even drink it from cans. Glass only, please.

Same thing with mayonnaise. Somehow, a square plastic box of mayo (Kraft, which I don't buy) just seems sooooo wrong. I'm even a bit sick that my favorite mayo, Blue Plate, now comes in a plastic jar - even if it's identical to the old glass one with the exception of material.

• Brittta
    18 years ago

Yeah, but those new square containers keep your fingers from getting covered in mayo when it gets to the bottom!

Personally, I can't drink water from anything but glass (unless it's bottled water... go figure).

• housewitch
    18 years ago

I'd rather buy longer table knives to spread the mayo with. Even though I understand the supposed benefit, I just can't get over the concept of a box of mayonnaise.

• okwriter
    18 years ago

Have you seen the new sugar containers? Instead of a paper bag, it comes in a wax coated square thingy like the old milk containers. Cool!!

• sarahmakes6
    18 years ago

I can't believe none of you caught Mizzou's typo. It made me ROFL.

So Mizzou, where does your wife buy your tootpaste />?

• okwriter
    18 years ago

She gotcha good, Mizzou!!!

Tell her what she's won, Bob...

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

I spelled it right 2 out of 3 times. And she bought it at Wal-Mart. I think it was right beside the Pepto-Bismol.

• tnlamar
    18 years ago

Allison I have this coffee maker and it is nothing short of fantastic.

Here is a link that might be useful: coffee maker

• Mizzou_KX
    Original Author
    18 years ago

She didn't win didly. You make fun of the host you get NOTHING!!!! Maybe a trip to Enid Oklahoma.

• Brittta
    18 years ago

tnlamar... we have the exact same one! My only gripe is I'm having a heck of a time finding the filter thingy for inside the water place... where do you get your, besides ordering online?

BTW, we love that coffee pot, it just keeps blinking "self clean" at me now. I just shut it off and then on again to make that blinky light go away :)

• allison0704
    18 years ago

No thank you, tnlamar! The one that spilled coffee all over my floor/rug was a Cuisinart.

• Brittta
    18 years ago

But Allison.... you have two of us vouching for this one. Maybe it was just that style you had! Really, we haven't had many problems with this one at all. Unless you count the time I made the coffee, but I forgot to add water. Coffee pots make the funniest smells when they're about to burst open.

• energy_rater_la
    18 years ago

IAE,
    I am no mechanic either, although in the
    past I have done enough to last a lifetime
    for me.
    But if the place where you pour the fluids
    had a brain.... it could route the fluids
    to their proper place. Or the fluids could
    be routed by viscosity.
    Hey its just a dream!

I do have the rubber thingy for tubes
    and sometimes it works!

I also like my beer in a bottle, but thought
    it was an interesting concept!
    Too many cut feet from glass in the sand!
    Maybe plastic on the beach is not such a
    bad idea..

I don't get the whole coffee thing.
    Not a coffee drinker, but every morning
    after SO has his coffee I end up cleaning
    the top of the pot, the burner thingy, and the
    front of the coffee machine. (and counter)
    Maybe he isn't as sloppy as I thought,
    then again....

• allison0704
    18 years ago

I have to clean the coffee pot/grounds up TOO and I DON'T drink coffee either! What's with that?!

• ItAintEasy
    18 years ago

You clean your coffee pot? When I can watch an eclipse through it without losing a retina, then it's time to replace it.

• tnlamar
    18 years ago

britta- I havent had to replace the filter yet, but I guess I'll just order online or something. The best way to cure the blinky light thing is probably to clean the device. Just a thought(Im currently switching mine on and off as well).

• Brittta
    18 years ago

tnlamar... yeah, I've done the "vinegar through the pot" things a few times and the light goes away for a while. Then it comes back. The problem with that is I never stop drinking coffee enough (regular or decaf) to run a couple cycles of vinegar then water through it....

Oh well, still a good coffee pot :)

• sarahmakes6
    18 years ago

Enid, Oklahoma? Ahem... That typo was worth some tropics, at least.

Since we seem to be talking about absolutely nothing on a number of threads, I'll add my nothing to this spot. Today I bought a new sunscreen ~ I'm always looking for the Utopia of sunscreens. Anway, I bought this spray-on Coppertone stuff that says it's No Rub. I've bought sprays in the past and hated them because they squirt goopy stuff all over your clothes, the floor, etc, and you still have to rub them in. So this new No Rub is fabulous! It comes out clear and sprays in a mist and it truly doesn't need rubbing. Good, clear coverage that soaked in after a few seconds. I'm hooked. The only downside is that is definitely smells like Coppertone, which isn't so great for everyday use. There you have it, free advertising for the Coppertone company, to which I promise you I have absolutely no connection.

And have you considered what Toot-paste might look like, by the way?

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Just so you don't go out sporting pig-tails and a bathing suit bottom, maybe people won't mind.

I imagine Toot-paste would look a lot like the stuff in the litter box.

• tnlamar
    18 years ago

probably comes in a pressurized tube.

• chisue
    18 years ago

"Litter box"? "Presurized tube"? You two are TOO MUCH!
    (Who will ever want Cheeze Whiz again?)

• energy_rater_la
    18 years ago

Someone wanted Cheese Whiz to begin with?

• chisue
    18 years ago

When our son was in high school we brought a pal of his along on vacation. The kid didn't "eat". He brought packages of saltines, a jar of peanut butter, and...Cheese Whiz. I don't know how he survived, but he did.

• Katie S
    18 years ago

Darcy, I am SOOOO excited to hear about that sunscreen! i am ALWAYS looking for the perfect sunscreen, sinc ethe kids and I were it 360 days a year. (Skip when home in bed with the flu, etc.)

• allison0704
    18 years ago

You're taking a chance of the sun coming in through the crack between the wall and the window, DUH!!!! ;)

• sarahmakes6
    18 years ago

Katie, It's really great stuff. We spent the day outdoors today and I was spritzing it on my kids like a happy Mama. I didn't rub sunscreen once all day! I got mine at Costco.

• allison0704
    18 years ago

Does Costco carry it all the time or just in the summer?

• LFPB4
    18 years ago

Cleaning out things this morning and I found I had saved this thread from waaaayyyy back in the summer. It's time to bring it up to the top again. Anyone solved any problems??? Found some new ones???? Didja know that if you pull out the wires in an underwire bra, that sometimes they fit a LOT better?
    PB

• doc8404
    17 years ago

PB - Um - okay, since I haven't ever wore one and have absolutely no experience (excepting the coconut bra I wore in my HS production of South Pacific), why don't you just buy a bra without the underwires?

Since you brought it up, why do most bras hook in the back? That seems rather counter-intuitive to me. And yes, I believe this is a packaging question and on topic. :)

• jasonmi7
    17 years ago

LPFB4....sorry, we left and forgot to turn out the lights. But you can always follow us.....there's a trail of bread crumbs around here somewhere.....

• catchmeifyoucan
    17 years ago

There WAS a trail of bread crumbs but I think the chicken ate 'em.