Return to the Building a Home Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Met with the architect... Finally!

Posted by Brittta (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 27, 05 at 9:07

This isn't worthy of being on the discussions side, but the long awaited mtg with the architect happened yesterday. Overall, it went well and we're meeting May 12th to see his prelim drawings. I honestly felt like he was taking everything we were saying respectfully. Even some of the ideas that he questioned, but still understood our request for them into the plans.

Since I started coming to this site many, many months ago looking for advice on the MIL addition above a new garage, you have listened to my constant gripes about the missed mtgs, etc. I'll scan pics when he brings them so you guys can finally see what I'm talking about :)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Met with the architect... Finally!

Good for you! I hope that everything he does is worth the wait. It is so nice when someone actually listens to what you say, rather than forcing their own desires on your project.

o

I'm anxious to see the pics, Brittta.

o

Remember how I was nervous to talk with the father because his son is such a schmuck and cancelled all those appts? Well, the architect knew I'd been trying to get the specs (from the son, naturally) on our lot dimensions so the architect could draw to scale and not change things later if the room didn't allow. Well, the architect must have called the dad himself, because at 10am this morning, good ol' dad was measuring and digging up the pins that got buried when we seeded our lawn. Nice as could be... said the architect (lets call him Phil because it's 4 letters to type vs 9 for architect, ok? ;) called him last night and said we needed these.

Less than a 24 hour turn around on a request???? How absolutely STUPID I've been by not dealing with the dad first. We could have had this thing built by now since we started talking about it in November last year. But you guys already knew I should skip the son in the first place, right??? :)

I just have to keep telling myself things happen for a reason. There's a reason we didn't start building right away. Right? :)

o

Well...duhhhhhhhhhh Britta. I remember the thread in which SEVERAL of us told you to ditch the son and go straight to the father.

Soooooooooo......... now will you listen to us? We told you so.

o

"we told you so" pfffffft!

The bonus to this whole thing is that in my mind, the father was brought into the situation again by someone other than me, and now anything related to it, I can just mosey on over to him and not even bother with the son.

Still waiting to see why all this waiting was happening for a reason, though ;)

And yes, now I will listen to you guys.

o

Ok.... having trouble posting pics of late! Sheesh. Anyway, this is the floorplan the architect came up with. It's basically useless to anything we wanted because the entire left side (looking at the plans) will face directly into the side of our current house. We wanted the garage on the side closest to our house, but apparently he thinks it'll make it difficult to drive into because of the angle he needs to put the addition at to maximize our use of the space available. (You can see where the breezeway attaches to our garage service door... that is the angle off our house she'd be at.) I added a pic of where it will be on our lot... sorry, bad quality, but hopefully it gives you an idea of why it's angled and that it's the only spot it'll fit since we're required to have the breezeway.

Image hosted by TinyPic.com Image hosted by TinyPic.com

We like the front elevation and how it blends with our house already, except that our current house has a hip-joint (??) roof, so we'd like this house to do that as well. This looks too boxy, and I like the corners at the top cut off better anyway.

Image hosted by TinyPic.com

This is the very first "back to the drawing board" for kicking around a possible change of internal floorplans. We removed the second little bedroom because it's not an absolute "gotta have it", just a nice perk. We're still not sure about that entry on the side (I cut it off on the picture we drew by hand), but we didn't want her door exactly on the front of her addition. This is so ppl wouldn't think that door is the front door of OUR house. I added some lables for kit/liv room, etc. Putting the living area to the back of the house would make her bedroom window look out over the driveway, but she spends any time she's home working at her kitchen table, or in the kitchen doing stuff, so she's always said her view from the bedroom is less important than where she'll spend the bulk of her time. Having windows along the back of the house lets her look out to our backyard. I didn't draw windows on our sample plan but they would be spaced along the back of the house.

Let the critiqing (sp?) begin!!! Please... hold nothing back :) I can take it. Like I said, our rendition is just a spur of the moment fix, and hasn't been well thought out at all, we just know the one he drew up won't work for us. I have lots more explainations, but I have to get outside and help shovel river rock. Fun :)

o

Ooooh! Plans! I'm assuming you've checked zoning and this is permitted?

You are right, the roof line looks too steep. We might have a better stab at this if we could see your existing house plans. The photo is too blurry for me. Do you have a detached garage (in front)? I was thinking it would be neat to have her garage adjoin the existing one -- blend in -- two separate structures instead of three.

Gee, I hope my DS and DIL would consider doing this for their old mom one day!

o

I like your plan better than the architects. Why don't some of them listen when the client speaks? Who know better what they want?!

I agree the roofline is too steep. It needs to be the same type/style roofline as yours.

o

Is your MIL going to bring her laundry over to your house?

o

Hi everyone...

This is the best I could do to show how it sits on the lot. We have since come up with a couple other floorplans that might work, one of which keeps the second bedroom. I'll put those on here when I can. Sorry for all the pictures on here for those who's computer load slow!! I don't have a website set up for this type of stuff... maybe soon.

Houseful, yes, she'll bring her laundry to our house. As it is, she doesn't have a ton of laundry so she'd rather dedicate space towards living/storage than the machines, even if she were to get stackable. Who knows, maybe she'll throw some of my laundry in as well ;) hehehe KIDDING!

And this doesn't matter, but just so ppl know, this is my mom who's moving in (Guess it's the DH's MIL addition then, eh?). Perfect case for doing this... she's been gone almost a month with all her traveling. Her house is just sitting there empty. And she's due to go away again in mid-June, and this is her slow travel season ;)

Obviously this isn't to scale, and I did the best I could with my publisher program to get it close, but you get the idea :)

o

In Hawaii this is called an ohana -- ohana is "family". Lots of people there have ohanas on their property.

I'd still like to see something more integrated with the front of your garage and house rather than angled like this. If you flipped the addition plan and set her front entry garage even with your garage wall... I know you have to leave room for her view and yours... Still thinking.

o

ChiSue,

That's what we wanted originally. We wanted her to be able to drive right up our driveway straight into her garage. When we made the "pit" to our walk-out basement, we kind of messed up how much space we'd be allowed to have along the house to make this happen. We also have a bedroom right there (on the main house) and we don't want to close up that window, hence the walkway btwn the two houses to our backyard. I know exactly what you're talking about, though! The architect said he was trying to avoid a "bowling alley" walkway under that breezeway.

That being said, I'm thinking more and more about asking him to draw something up with the garage we originally had asked him to do it. We have approx 28 feet from the edge of our driveway to the first block of the retaining wall at the pit, so what I need to find out is how close is "safe" to put the frost wall/foundation to that retaining wall without compromising it.

This is hard! I know what I want, and even gave the guy a sketch of it, and it's just not fitting into that space. I'm regretting we made the walk-out pit as big as we did now ;)

o

Just throwing this out there, but how many times should we let the architect work on this (while paying him by the hour) to have him possibly come back again and again with stuff not close to what we want? I can't just throw money away on the hourly salary thing "hoping" he can draw what we've pointed out is important to us.

o

Britta,

I sketched this out quickly. I am not even sure of all the dimensions. However, I wast thinking if you kept the house square with yours and don't angle her front door. She can come to your house via a back door to the kitchen, yet her main will here will give her more privacy for guests. I don't know if this garage situation will work, but you can see that the only window actually facing your house will be one DR window. You can put some small windows up high on that side in the LR for light, but she can have a large window in front.

I know how you feel about having the architect do this over and over. Do your self a favor and spend $80 on a program like I have. You will save lots of money. I am talking from experience!

o

Houseful,

Thanks for the thoughts on the addition. I'd love that set-up, but not sure how it'd work off of our driveway to have her garage stick out quiet that far, but it's good to see something with a fresh pair of eyes. Putting the storage and bath in line with the garage gave me some new ideas and we're going to play around with them some more. I don't think I would have thought of that one :)

I'm seriously considering one of the house design programs... but do those just give you options of working on plans? Or can they be turned into the real deal to submit for permits and stuff? You know, workable blueprints?

o

Can you flip-flop Houseful's plan (or something similar) so that the two garages are joined?

(Sorry if that's already been discussed and I overlooked it...)

o

I'm on the same page with okwriter. Houseful, show us your stuff!

o

Britta,

Supposedly you can get workable blueprints from some of these programs, but you can always just use a draftsman and save money that way.

How about something like this with a side load garage. She can access this from your driveway, I think.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Building a Home Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here