Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Recipe for Really Good Bloody Mary Please

Posted by walnutcreek (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 19, 09 at 15:19

I have never made one, but am all of a sudden wanting one. Any help will be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Recipe for Really Good Bloody Mary Please

First - you need really good vodka. Don't believe people who tell you all vodka tastes the same because it's a neutral spirit. Not true. Two of the best are Belvedere and Chopin.

Chopin is made in Poland from potatoes while Belvedere is made in Poland from rye - they do NOT taste the same. Grey Goose is okay (made in France) but, not one of my favorites. All of the cheap vodkas taste like they should be used to run model airplanes....

Put a shot of vodka in a glass.
Add a splash of Worchestershire sauce
Add a splash of Tobasco
Stir slightly to mix
Add ice
Add tomato juice (I like V8 because of the extra tang)
If you want, squeeze some lemon into the mix.
Sprinkle Hot Shot (pepper mix) and some Seasonall over the top.
Add a stalk of celery to mix the drink a bit more.

Enjoy + eat the celery as you drink the Bloody Mary.

o
Another good vodka

Tito's Handmade Vodka made in - Austin, Texas - is also a very good vodka. It's won the Double Gold Medal in several competitions over other vodkas from all over the world. It's charcoal filtered which removes the phenols, esters, etc. Extremely smooth, the only vodka I'll drink straight by the shot.

o

I realize this is an old post and hopfully the OP has sated their appetite for a good bloody mary. I only might add, there are some reasonably good BM mixes on the market that only require the addition of vodka and perhaps the addition of a stalk of celery garnish. These mixes vary in intensity to match your pallett.

I am a bourbon drinker but I keep vodka on hand for friends who don't understand the proper way to make a martini. I buy Tito's because it is a very good vodka and I like to support Texas companies.

I have also discovered Dripping Springs Texas Vodka, which is a copper still vodka like Tioto's. It is hand crafted in Dripping Springs, Texas, which is west of Austin.

o

I agree that a good vodka is key. I usually buy Chopin, and I won't drink French vodka. But here's a cheap-o way to deal with vodka: buy a middle-of-the-road vodka, and run it through a Brita carafe filter a couple times. No kidding, it becomes as smooth as any super-premium vodka.

As for my bloody mary, I do it by feel, so I don't have exact measurements, but I like mine this way:

vodka (of course)
Campbell's tomato juice

Just a touch of the following ingredients:
celery salt
worcestershire sauce
lemon juice
pepper
tabasco sauce
ground prepared horseradish
little bit of sugar
little bit white vinegar

I know it sounds like a lot, but I like the results.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here