Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Healthy drink recipes?

Posted by msh2000 (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 25, 07 at 15:05

My hubby does not want to drink water but he goes through 2 L of fruit drinks a day like Dole and Tropicana. I recently heard that too much fruit drinks is bad because the liver is not designed to process too much fructose that is why a lot of people are getting sick with fatty liver disease. Where can I find recipes for healthy drink?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Healthy drink recipes?

WOW!!! Does he realize how many servings of fruit he's consuming?

3/4 c. (6 oz.) = one serving

Not to mention all that sugar - even natural sugar in fruit juice is still SUGAR! High fructose corn syrup is dangerous stuff - right up there with trans fatty acids.

How many calories does that add up to? Nearly half his calorie needs for the day I bet.

Has he tried tonic water or sparkling water with just a small amount of juice in it? Even sparkling water with lemon or lime juice. You can also add a small amount of fruit juice with milk (I also use homemade kefir for this drink) and with some grape juice and milk make a Grape Cow, or with orange juice and get an Orange Cow. At least you'll also be getting a dairy serving - but too much of ANYTHING is bad when it comes to food and drink.

Check out the My Pyramid site (link below). Have him click on MyPyramid Plan (on the left side) and fill in the blanks so that he actually knows what foods he requires daily and in what amounts.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: MyPyramid

o

I was trying to get away from sugary drinks & diet soda, but I don't always want just plain water. I discovered flavored waters, especially the ones made with Splenda which have few or no calories. Target carries a brand called Archer Farms that makes some great flavors, sweetened with Splenda. Now that I've been off the sugary drinks for a while, I find that even the flavored water is stronger/sweeter than I like, and I end up diluting it with water about 4:1. (That is, 4 water & 1 flavored water.)

Diluting it makes it cost less too - 2L of juice a day would be expensive!!

o

I would say that its too much of fruit juice.

I would advice you to drink a cup of kefir every day.
Can't be a better healthy drink than that.
I would caution you to avoid super market OTC Kefir drinks sold by companies are no good.
You must ferment kefir at home.

NJA

o

I agree with the kefir. However, one is dairy and one is water kefir made with sugar. In the summer I hold back on the dairy and yet the other has too much sugar even if used like a lemonade beveredge. How do you get around this?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here