Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Burgandy...is it sold by another name?

Posted by
Kara_va
(kara_va@hotmail.com) on
Tue, Dec 18, 01 at 12:47

I'm putting together a gift basket to round out some crystal mugs I found. The tin of mix I selected has a receipe for "mulled wine" that calls for burgandy. I've been to two stores looking for a bottle of burgandy to put in the basket. Can't find it. Wish I'd bought the tin for "hot butter rum". Can find rum everywhere! Do they still label wine burgandy or has it gone the way of chablis?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Burgandy...is it sold by another name?

Kara, It would be a shame to use a real Burgundy to make a "mulled Wine" Burgundy wine can be quite expensive, and comes from the Burgundy region of France,which is divided into a number of smaller regions. The grape used is Pinot Noir. You can buy some excellent Pinot Noirs made in California as well as Oregon, but again it would be a real waste of good wine. You are probably looking for an inexpensive generic "burgundy". I believe Gallo use to make one and it came in a jug. You probably do not really need a wine labeled burgundy, just an inexpensive, but drinkable wine will do. Ann.

o

Thanks Ann, I appreciate your help!

o

Burgundy wine is made from a varietal grape originating in France.
Gallo makes a burgundy that costs ( in my state....but it varies according to your taxes) about $6 a bottle. It's very suitable for a mulled wine!
It's called "Gallo Hearty Burgundy".....
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here