Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
recipe for eggnog

Posted by whispery (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 10, 01 at 0:41

Sorry to be such a dork, but I have no idea how to make eggnog. Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: recipe for eggnog

I never make or drink eggnog. Something about "raw eggs", but here is a site with some eggnog recipes as well as the one posted on Martha's website. Ann.
Eggnog

Serves 26
This eggnog's rich, cloudlike texture is produced by separating the eggs and beating the whites before adding them to the milk mixture. The eggnog base can be made one day in advance; just beat in the stiff egg whites and whipped cream just before serving.

12 eggs, separated
1 1/2 cups superfine sugar
1 quart whole milk
1 1/2 quarts heavy cream
3 cups bourbon
1/2 cup dark rum
2 cups cognac
Freshly grated nutmeg

1. In a very large bowl, beat egg yolks until thick and pale yellow. Gradually add sugar to yolks. With a wire whisk, beat in milk and 1 quart cream. Add bourbon, rum, and cognac, stirring constantly.

2. Just before serving, beat egg whites until stiff. Fold into mixture. Whip remaining 1/2 quart heavy cream until stiff, and fold in. Sprinkle with nutmeg.

Note: Raw eggs should not be used in food prepared for pregnant women, babies, young children, the elderly, or anyone whose health is compromised.

Photograph by: Todd Atkinson

Magazine Subscriptions : Catalog Requests : About MSO : Career Opportunities : Investor Relations : Privacy Policy
Terms of Use : Affiliate Program : Sponsors Index

Here is a link that might be useful: Eggnog

o

egg nog non alcohalic
6 eggs
1 pkg. instant vanilla pudding (3 Oz)
1 T. vanilla
1 C. sugar (I've used less)
1 tsp. nutmeg
3/4C. heavy cream
Beat together untill smooth add 2 quarts milk yields 2 1/2 qrts. I really like this didn't make it this year becouse of the raw eggs but I'm wondering if an egg substitute would work make it more expensive but this is really good.
Sheila

o

This is kinda late, but it's very simple, and my favorite (and no, I've never gotten sick in years of making this or drinking it, even as a child - sometimes ya gotta live a little). I love it because it's not as rich as most - nice and light and foamy.

Basic non-alchoholic egg-nog

2 eggs
1/2 tsp. vanilla
4 tbsp sugar (just plain, white sugar)
2 cups milk
Cracked ice (about 1 cup, or 5 ice cubes)

You can make this in a bowl - beat the eggs well first, then add all other ingredients and beat. I make it in the blender - whip the eggs well, add everything else, blend it up smooth. Top with nutmeg - makes about 2 glasses, but you can double/triple/quadruple the recipe for more as needed.

o

A dietitian friend told me that the alcohol added to the eggnog will destroy any bacteria in a raw egg. (The same goes for the vinegar in Bernaise sauce.)
So, now, you only have to worry about driving home!
~Morgan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here