Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Where can I find red wine for a gift in a HUGE bottle!!

Posted by horsefarm (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 05 at 20:20

I've seen these enormous bottles of red wine sitting on shelves at restaurants. I was thinking....what a great gift! I hate giving people knick-knacks and stuff that will clutter their houses. Of course, they may never drink it but that's their choice!

I certainly would want to try to buy a decent tasting wine (I don't drink wine). Any suggestions where I can get one and what type & brand I might want to look for. Size-wise.....would a double magnum be impressive to look at?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Where can I find red wine for a gift in a HUGE bottle!!

I don't know what you mean by enormous....but you can buy a 1750 ML bottle.....about 1/2 a gallon or a magnum of Champagne.....which is larger....or a Jeraboam at some liquor stores.
Your best bet is to go to an upscale liquor store.
Linda C

o

If you have a Total Wine by you, they carry some (but limited selection). I second the suggestion of going to an upscale store that can order from the winery for you. I was out in CA this summer and many of the distilleries said that they package commerative large bottle for celebrations (or showing off!)

Susan

o

A coworker scoped out Total Wine for me.... he looked at champagne in Magnum and double-Magnum sizes. You can get decent champagne in the double-magnum size for 180. I can't decide what to get my Dad for xmas.... he has everything ....he doesn't have a really cool looking bottle of wine. My fear is that I'll get some wine he doesn't like. I'll have goen for quantity not the quality.

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to check it out myself in the red wines....

o

Well.....if you get him a bottle in the double magnum size he better plan to throw a party.....because once it's opened it won't keep more than 5 or 6 hours.
Linda C

o

What Linda C said...If you get him a magnum or larger bottle of red wine, most of it is going to end up going down the sink's drain, unless he's having a huge party with loads of red wine drinkers.

How about just getting him a really great and unique bottle of wine?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here