Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are straws for Wimps?

Posted by gohman85 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 01 at 20:08

Do only wimpy guys use straws? Does anybody drink alcohol thru a straw?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are straws for Wimps?

I read recently where chemists experimented with subjects drinking beer through a straw- they got drunk faster as the straw effectively misted some of the alcohol across the throat lining and so it was absorbed into the bloodstream faster, IIRC......
In my personal opinion straws are really only for milkshakes.....
CJ

o

Hmmmm, your question has conjured up a disturbing mental image of Clint Eastwood's "Dirty Harry", doing what Dirty Harry does best, while casually sipping through a straw....nope, don't want to imagine that again. ;)

o

A Zombie is best drunk through a straw.....and believe me.....anyone who drinks a Zombie is no wimp!!
Linda C

o

slushy drinks (frozen margaritas, pina coladas) are best with a straw, otherwise you get a faceful of ice!

o

I have to use a straw due to sensitive teeth with any cold drink that has ice.

o

I have read that fashion models always use a straw, even for water. It's because of the lipstick or something, I guess. -- Marie

o

I use a straw at every restaurant. I have this thing about other strangers lips being on the glass that I am drinking from. One really can't know just how well they clean thier drinking glasses.

o

I am with Michele,
I ALWAYS use a straw at Restaurants, even with beer and water.Putting my lips on the cup seems gross to me.

o

I suppose drinking through a straw to prevent lips from coming in contact with the glass sounds like a sensible idea.... but then, how do you eat at restaurants, do you bring your own silverware and plates?
No sarcasm intended, just curious.

Sol

o

At least the utensils and plates go through a dishwasher and get properly cleaned.
I used to work at a restaurant/bar and I have seen the way glasses are cleaned- all they do is dunk it a couple of times in a sink full of water and then dunk it in another sink full of water with a little bleach in it and then they dunk it in another sink full of water! Half the time there was still lipstick on the glasses! So then they just wipe the lipstick off with a towel, which by the way they reuse on all the other glasses that have lipstick on them. GROSS!!! Therefore, I always use a straw.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here