Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
homemade kahlua

Posted by darbie (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 07 at 13:40

My 27-year-old son just made homemade kahlua for Christmas presents. When we looked at the bottles a few days later there were strange crystal formations inside. I want to pour it all down the drain and start over. He wants to know if it is safe to consume and how to avoid when he makes the next batch.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: homemade kahlua

Of course it's safe.....didn't he put enough vodka in there it kill anything?
The crystals are just sugar that has crystallized out. Not to worry....it's fine.
How to avoid it? Maybe less sugar....?
But I would just ignore it.
Linda C

o
RE: homemade kahlua and crystal problem

I thought I would pour it out and heat it again then let it cool before rebottling. It looks scary like a bad science experiment so I don't think he can give it as a gift.

o
RE: homemade kahlua

In my home any of these "home made" food items that are received as gifts end up going straight to the garbage. I don't want to eat anyone's "experiment" in creativity, especially canned goods. Some people just do not know things like that you don't make chile or tomatoe sauce in a big aluminum pot or you shouldn't use trash bags or lawn and leaf bags to store food products. They don't know proper temps to kill bacteria or to measure the PH of things. They don't wear gloves when preparing things.

No thanks. Off to the dumpster they go.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here