Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ISO Kahlua recipe

Posted by connie0751 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 9, 06 at 11:25

I used to make Kahlua years ago and want to make some again. The recipe I had (and liked) called for putting the vanilla bean into the vodka and letting it set for a couple weeks and then add the "cooked" coffee, sugar and water. Does anyone have this recipe? All I can find anywhere are the quicker versions or ones where you make it all at once and then let sit. TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ISO Kahlua recipe

here's one we make using espresso. regular coffee didn't seem strong enough. maybe this is what you are looking for?

1 cup espresso coffee
1 cup sugar
2 cups vodka (80-100 proof)
1/2 vanilla bean split lengthwise

Brew a fresh pot of espresso (or a very strong coffee). Add sugar, make certain it is all dissolved and let cool. Once cooled, add the vanilla beab and the vodka. Transfer to a bottle (we use a dark glass bottle). (For the first week or so, we shook the bottle to make certain all the sugar was completely dissolved) You can let it sit anywhere between two to four weeks. When it's done, remove the bean and strain it into a clean, new bottle.

I have one going now. it's keeping my lemoncello company. At thanksgiving, i'll make an italian cream liquer that will be served on christmas.

salute!

maryanne

o

The only place you are going to ge a Kahluha recipe is from Pernod Ricard if you contact them, and I highly doubt if they are going to share their recipe and technique.

o

That's just so...not!

www.google.com/search?q=kahlua+recipe

o

Hi Maryanne,

Thanks for the Kahlua recipe. I too used to make it, but haven't in years.
Would you share your Italian Cream liquer recipe? That sounds wonderful too.

Thanks, LinJoh

o

Leaveswave, Kahla is a brand name for a coffee liquer. It has its own recipe that the producers are not going to share.

There are many other coffee liquers out there for sale, most notably Tia Maria and Pahsa, and also many, many other "off" brands available.

You may be able to make something with a coffee recipe, but it is NOT Kahla and won't taste anything like it.

And BTW you can't make Bailey's either, for the same reason, although you can make any number of types and tastes of Irish cream liquer, each having their own unique taste.

o

bud_wi: Do you also feel the need to lecture people who ask for a Kleenex or Q-Tip instead of a facial tissue or cotton swab? Using a brand name in this context is common and accepted in colloquial English, and there's no need to be a dick about it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here