Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anybody here drink Vernor's?

Posted by Dawn_P (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 31, 01 at 9:47

The best ginger ale I've ever put in my mouth. It has a bite to it that can't be beat. Unfortunately it's rather hard to find down here in the DC area, but I do know a few grocery stores that carry it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anybody here drink Vernor's?

I always thought Vernor's was more of a carbonated apple cider than a ginger ale - if it is ginger ale, unless they make more than one product, I think it's really terrible!

o

Hey, for years when I was younger I thought only Vernor's made ginger ale! It is common in the mid-west. Here in the south we can find it at a Krogers Grocery Store. They don't stock much of it, but I can get it when I want to!

o

Vernors has been around for years. My mother drank it when she was young and she is 74.

o

Us Michiganders are very familar with Vernors as it was first produced here in Michigan. My mom met Mrs Vernors once and she gave mom a bottle of Vernors. I found the remains of that bottle up in moms attic when I was cleaning it out. The bottle had frozen and broke. When I travel to another state I don't order a ginger ale based drink because I can't reconize that stuff they use for ginger ale.

o

Yep I have grown up in Michigan (since 1951) Vernor's original plant on Woodward ave in Detroit. Used to taste much more tart rather than the sugarry flavor that is made now (not in Detroit). BUT...It still makes the best ice cream float in the world!!! Vernor's will make your children strong and your man a big bellied couch potato.

o

I used to live in S.Florida in the 60's. My Dad had a little grocery store on 17th Avenue near Coral Gables.
He sold Vernor's and it was pretty popular! I guess all the snowbirds from Michigan started the trend down there as we used to see a LOT of Michigan tags in the winter.....

o

living in Windsor, across the river from Detroit, Vernors was always around. It is a perfect cross between ginger ale and ginger beer. there is nothing better than a Vernors ice cream float on a hot day.

o

Vernor's, my favourite!

When we were sick as kids my dad would give us flat Vermors so we would not get dehydrated.

It isn't as "gingery" as it once was but I still love it. It has such a distinctive taste. My friend tells me I am a traitor because I don't drink Canada Dry. I grew up with Vernor's in Windsor (Hi Paul) and he, my friend Chris was from a city that didn't have access to it.

I once went to the Vernor's plant in Detroit and had an ice cream float. The best ever.

Anne

o

I grew up with Vernor's Ice Cream floats! My parents were from Michigan and had relatives *import* it before it was available on the West Coast.

Found also it was the only ginger ale that helped with morning sickness, maybe because they use REAL ginger and not just ginger flavoring.

Funny, around these parts, it's hit and miss whether a store carries it or not. Some stores that had it for years will all of the sudden stop carrying it. (I think it has to do with the local bottlers and contracts and stuff...)

If I'm pregnant and need a supply, I usually have to rely on my *source* from my parents now in Arizona (which HAS TO bottle it there for the snowbirds!)

o

Stewart's ginger beer is my absolute favorite ginger beverage. Highly recommended.

o

I like alot of messages that have been posted also grew up in Michigan (but I now live in south)and I thought that it was the only ginger ale made. Needless to say, Vernor's is the only ginger ale that I will drink. My mother gave it to us kids to settle an upset stomach and now when I go back to Michigan I make a point to have a least one Cream Ale (Vernor's with half & half).

o

Dh got me stuck on Vernors when we wetn to visit his family in MI. I grew up on Canada Dry and have a good friend who family owns the distribution rights to CD in the New York/ New Jeersy area. I prefer Vernors hands down. It really had a ginger taste to it over the others.

o

Vernor's ? What an unusual question.... is there another ginger ale ?

o

I'm from Michigan. There is no other ginger ale. But I can tell you one thing I do miss. Remember Sanders restaurants. And Saunders stores. They used to sell Vernors ice cream. The had a float known as the detroit cooler. I wish I could find some Sanders/Vernors ice cream.

o

My dad and dh love it. Funny, when my dh first saw it and tried it, he pronounced it Ver-NORS, so that's what we call it!

o

Hey,

Since moving to Virgina from Ohio, we cannot find Vernors anywhere. Anyone out there know where to find it in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach area? Thanks for your help!

o

Farm Fresh stores used to carry it in Chesapeake. Check with the local store managers. When I lived there 6 years ago they stocked it but in very limited quanities, so if I got there soon after restocking, (the 2 or 3 six packs they put out) I purchased all I found!

S

o

I drink Vernor's. I don't know anyone else that does.....except you guys. DW hates it. Wish they still made Nehi grape though.

o

I'm a Michgander and I am so so about Vernors. I can take it or leave it. I guess it's because I'm not much of a 'ginger' drinker. My preferred beverage is water. I do indulge in a coke now and then.

Dee

o

As a child my mom always gave me Vernors when I had an upset stomach. I still drink it when I am pregnant or hung over :-)! My DH was trying to help one time and brought me Canada Dry ginger ale - YUCK! It is SOOO not the same thing. I LOVE VERNOR'S!!

(I am in Ohio and can find it anywhere around here.)

o

The article below may be of interest.

I live in Calif. and I like Vernor's. Although when I was a kid it wasn't sweet enough for me, now it's perfect. Also, it's the only diet soda that doesn't have the funny taste.

Katy

Here is a link that might be useful: Vernor's History

o

I grew up in Buffalo NY. Loved Vernors as a kid. I moved 400 miles away, to New Yiork City. Now I haven't seen the stuff in 30 years! I also especially loved Wink grapefruit soda made by Canada Dry. Can't get that here either! Thanks for the memories.

o

I have a lot of fond memories about Vernor's ginger ale. I recall a visiting cousin from California being afraid to drink it, because it might be alcohol-laden.
We used to drive by the Vernor's plant when we visited the big city, but my parents never thought of stopping.
I've lived out in Arizona on the Navajo Reservation, and Vernor's is always stocked in our local supermarket.
Thanks for the memories of Vernor's floats! Heavenly!
Norm

o

Hi just popped into this forum (post at the KT) but this is funny I was born adn lived in Michigan for 12 years..and Vernors is the only ginger ale there is..LOL....we also had it flat when we were sick adn the floats are the best. I live in Ok now and every once in awhile you can find Vernors here....simply the best...Stacy

o

Can't get it in your area? Here's a web site to order from

http://www.angelfire.com/tn/traderz/vernors.html

o

I can't believe I haven't seen this post before today. I love Vernor's and have one 2 litre bottle on the shelf. when I was a kid in Chicago I used to go out of my way to buy a bottle of it and a loaf of square dark moist pumpernickle bread. The slices were very thin and I remember how good that Vernors was with buttered bread!!

o

"Posted by: Tolin (My Page) on Tue, Apr 2, 02 at 13:09

I'm from Michigan. There is no other ginger ale. But I can tell you one thing I do miss. Remember Sanders restaurants. And Saunders stores. They used to sell Vernors ice cream. The had a float known as the detroit cooler. I wish I could find some Sanders/Vernors ice cream."

Well now you can get Sanders-Vernors Ice Cream again as they have reopened and have a new store.

Sanders Candy & Dessert Shop
16837 Kercheval St.
Grosse Pointe Park, MI
313-882-4966

o

I understand they also opened a new Sanders shop at Laurel Park Place in Livonia, but haven't been there yet.

When I was reading this thread I was thinking of the Vernors ice cream, too! I remember getting Tin Roof sundaes with Vernors and chocolate ice cream during thier "happy hour" after school. Or getting Boston Coolers - Vernors and ice cream sodas, yummm...

Oh, my mom and I had so much fun at happy hour!

Nicole

o

We had Vernor's warmed in a pan and with a drop of lemon in it when we were sick!
My sister flew in from Montana a few weeks ago and asked me to pick up Vernors and vanilla ice cream to make floats. MMMMMMMMMM good!
Kathy G in MI

o

Another Michigander here. I love Vernors but it seems as though it's got less of a bite. Maybe it's just me. Anyway, there's no other ginger ale.

o

Grew up in western Ohio, with relatives in NE Indiana and WC Michigan. Vernor's is the only ginger ale my parents bought. It's still the best remedy for upset stomach/nausea. I insist we have at least a six-pack in the fridge at all times.

o

I just opened the frig and we have 2 -12 oz bottles of Vernors diet. They had regular but I like the diet. We are in a suburb of Los Angeles. I taught high school in Ishpeming Michigan and everybody drank it there. I heard that a Detroit pharamacist invented it around the Civil War.
I think the secret to locating it is to try non-chain grocery stores that are up scale. How's carries it here, but I bet Bristol Farms does also. Our major chains just carry the big volume brands.

o

I love Vernor's!! Hard to find in Alabama. Love to make a Vanilla milkshake and use Vernors and Vanilla icecream instead of milk--Heavenly!!!

o

Publix has it here in ATL, and it's the only soda I consistently keep in my house. Grew up on it in FL and refuse to drink any other "ginger" ale. :)

E

o

Yea to Vernors Its right here in the middle of Michigan the only way to go.....

o

Used to love Vernor's. Used to...but it does NOT have the intense ginger-snap it used to have. I blame the switch to the intensely sweet high-fructose corn syrup for overpowering the ginger flavor that made Vernor's Vernor's.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here