SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
leaveswave

Homemade Limoncello

leaveswave
17 years ago

If you haven't heard of limoncello, it's an Italian recipe of a lemon infusion in alcohol (often vodka), slightly sweetened. Most recipes call for the lemon zest to be infused in the alcohol for a certain length of time, then a sugar-water syrup added and more time for aging. The zest is removed either when the syrup is added, or after it has soaked in the full mixture.

My first batch turned out quite well, and I find myself wanting to understand the process more. Here are my quesions, share your thoughts if you some knowledge on the topic.

1. Does the length of steeping time really make that much of a difference? (I've seen everything from 1 week to 6 months! My effort was on the shorter side and turned out delicious.)

2. Does it make a difference to leave the zest in for the second round of aging? (I didn't, and really, I couldn't it imagine it being any tastier.)

I could just do a side-by-side experiment, I suppose, though I'm thinking someone here probably understands the process better than I and can enlighten me in a briefer timeframe than running the whole test!

Comments (4)

Sponsored