Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
espresso crema

Posted by DianaU (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 1, 04 at 10:53

my espresso machine isn't creating the same amount of crema on the top of each cup. I guess it could be the coffee itself I am using. has anyone heard of an espresso machine not performing well after a few years. It's a high end braun machine.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: espresso crema

I suspect your grind isn't fine enough and/or you are not tamping the coffee hard enough.
Linda C

o

thanks for that reply but i have discovered it is the total opposite. crema forms best when its not ground super fine and I needed to moisten the grounds for a few seconds before actually brewing. Thanks anyway.

o

Crema is the result of a few factors, some are not easily achieved with a home machine;

Fresh Beans- roasted within 14 days. Not all coffee varieties produce good crema.
Correct grinder setting and proper packing technique.
Enough Pump Pressure
Accurate and consistent water temp.

The last two are where most home units fall short.

Michael

o

We've seen a difference with different types of coffee, so if you've made a change, that could be it. Also, make sure you are cleaning (and decalcifying if needed) your machine regularly.

o

I saw the moistening thing on Good Eats recently. He says that if the grounds are moist they are less likely to float around when the water hits it. So now I have a squirt bottle in the kitchen.

I'd also try the cleaning idea. Running white vinegar through the machine usually does the trick.

ant

o

And here's a good article about cleaning your coffee maker

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Clean A Coffee Maker

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here