Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ginger ale and root beer

Posted by
dk
(artedia@rcn.com) on
Wed, Jun 13, 01 at 23:07

I have been searching for a recipe for ginger ale and a recipe for root beer. We'd like to make these for a present
for this Sunday. Does anyone have a recipe or know where I might find one???
Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ginger ale and root beer

Well both require aging to make the carbonation work......so you couldn't possibly make them for this week.
Linda C

o
ginger beer

I hope they found the recipe. It could have been done for Sunday, or the gift could have been made and given with instructions to age before drinking.

1/2 ounce ginger root
1 large lemon
1 cuo sugar
1/2 tablespoon cream of tartar
1/2 gallon boiling water
1/2 tablespoon packaged dry yeast
2 tablespoons sugar
1/4 cuo warm water
4 pint size bottles with corks or screw tops

lightly crush ginger root. Peel and slice lemon. Add ginger, lemon and 1 cup sugar to boiling water. Allow to cool to lukewarm. In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons years. 2 tablespoons sugar and 1/4 cup warm water. Add to ginger mixture. Let sit in a warm area for 8 hours. Skim off bubbles from time to time. Ladle into bottles- avoid the sludge att the bottom of the pot. cork or cap the bottler and let them stand in a warm place for three days. Chill before serving.

o
RE: ginger ale and root beer

Stop by a beer and wine making shop. Most that I've been to also carry soda pop making supplies. If you don't have one in your area there are some on the net. A proper fermentation vessel will go a long way towards making your venture a success. Yes, homemade soda is very mildly alcoholic. Properly made it is so low in alcohol that it can be safely served to children but you might refrain from giving it to people on medications where alcohol is contraindicated.

good luck,
michael

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here