Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Absinthe

Posted by Sunny66 (My Page) on
Fri, Jun 7, 02 at 15:08

Has anyone tried real absinthe? Is it worth the trouble of trying to get ahold of a bottle? What brand is the best?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Absinthe

Absinthe has been illegal for many years. It causes brain damage. Try Pernod or something legal. There are several good subsitutes. Read the link below for more info. -- Marie

Here is a link that might be useful: About Absinthe

o

It doesn't cause brain damage any more than drinking large quantities of any other strong liquor does. And it may be illegal in the US but not in many European countries. Actually one can legally purchase a bottle from these countries for personal consumption which is why I am asking for recommendations.

o

I don't think you want to be drinking any quantities of Absinthe. Thujone is a cumulative poison. One drink won't hurt your nor will two. But if it is drank regular then you will develop fits and such. I think the author from New Orleans is a bit underinformed.

: )
michael

o

If you want to read some more on Absinthe copy and paste this URL into your browser window:

http://www.gumbopages.com/food/beverages/absinthe.html

o

Yes, I've had it, many years ago.

Didn't much care for it. The taste was, to me, not at all pleasant.

I think it's still illegal in France, isn't it?

o

I've read that it's effects are like those of marijuana, but if you have too much, you're understand why Van Gogh cut off his ear.

o

Absinthe has the same effects as marijuana... But, it is a completely different high. Try making your own absinthe and see it firsthand.

Here is a link that might be useful: CrypticKits.com - Your Absinthe Source!

o

Was in Japan from 64-66 and Absinthe was available and I presume legal. The bottle was "Morozoff 68" and Morozoff was a brand name for many odd liquors/liquers over there. The stuff tasted like concentrated Ouzo and was definitely bad news; I know more than a couple of guys who had to be de-toxed because of it.

o

I have bought it online, and would again, but it's so expensive, with the exchange rate and all. The thujone is regulated, so there are no toxic problems. What gets ya is that it's 140 proof. The link below is the stuff we bought.

Here is a link that might be useful: Absinthe

o

For quality information about absinthe:
www.oxygenee.com
www.wormwoodsociety.org
www.feeverte.net

The most harmful thing about absinthe is the alcohol.
Don't burn absinthe!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here