Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a recipe for mint julips

Posted by Megan_in_WV (My Page) on
Sat, May 11, 02 at 11:39

I have plenty of mint growing in my garden and I have bourbon. I'm thinking of making mint julips. Do you have the recipe and are they really worth making?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a recipe for mint julips

Make a simple syrup by boiling a cup of water and half a cup of suger together. Put a generous sprig of mint and 1 tsp of sugar in the bottom of a glass or julep cup...muddle it together so the suger gets mixed with crushed mint leaves, fill the glass with crushed ice, add 1 T. sugar syrup and fill to the rim with bourbon. stir with a long handled spoon from the bottom up to mix the mint with the bourbon.
As to if they are worth making?.....Depends. I got very drunk on mint Juleps once....thought I was drinking a lady's drink. So be careful....they can knock you on your ear!
Linda C

o

Thanks Linda! I made them my, Mom and Dad (had them over for Mother's day) really liked them---I didn't care for them though. I think I just don't like the taste of bourbon.

o

Just make them with less bourbon.

I like them with less than other people like them and you might want to crush the mint in with the simple syrup since the heat brings out the mint flavor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here