Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Make mint juleps with peppermint extract?

Posted by sandyintampa (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 29, 06 at 22:50

I plan to make mint juleps this weekend for a crowd, and don't believe I'll have enough fresh mint. Has anyone used peppermint extract or another substitute? If so, do you have a recipe to share?
And...what bourbon do you prefer?

Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Make mint juleps with peppermint extract?

Nooooooo!!
I wish I could give you some!!
Doesn't take a lot....just a sprig per julep.
I am not a bourboney bourbon fan....so I prefer a blended whisky....like Canadian Club!!LOL! But Jim Beam works and isn't a fortune.
Muddle 1/2 tsp of sugar with a sprig of mint and about 1 tsp water in the bottom of a glass.....fill with chrushed ice and fill with bourbon and top with another sprig.
Drink slowly....because they will put you on your ear!
Linda C

o
RE: Make mint juleps with peppermint extract?

Linda C. and everyone else who keeps saying "no": The problem is that not EVERYONE can get fresh mint leaves. It is not often sold in my local market and when it is, it's usually sold out.

Then don't even get me started about when I lived in Alaska (I was in Alaska when I first joined this forum, but had a different user name). It was hardly offered up there and when it was, it was so expensive that I couldn't afford it.

I just wish people would get that not all of us live in a city or in the burbs. Just because a lot of you do, don't assume that the world does as well.

I don't mean this as harsh as it sounds, I'm just trying to point out that when we ask about substitutes we're not doing it because we just don't feel like getting the original. We're asking for a reason.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here