Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Coke vs. Pepsi

Posted by
Kelli
(flowerrose@yahoo.com) on
Mon, Mar 26, 01 at 21:59

Why do some many people like Coke and Diet Coke? Pepsi tastes so much better and is more cool to be seen drinking. I always drink pepsi, and never coke. I can't understand its popularity. I hope Pepsi overtakes Coke once and for all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Coke vs. Pepsi

Kelli, are you one of the younger readers, here? wE are glad to have you. I think coke is not as sweet and a lot of people don't like their drinks so sweet. Just a preference I guess. I think they are both going to be around for a long time. I like Mr. Pibb. Marcia

o

I like Pepsi,not as sicky sweet as Coke, I had a friend who worked for Coke & he offered me a ton of Coke, I had to thank him, but turned him down..just too sweet.

o

Coke. Definitely Coke. Pepsi is way too sweet. Not even lemons help the taste.

Coke...ain't nothing like the real thing, baby (if you're old enough, you'll recognize the slogan).

;-)

o

I like a little variety, so I drink both!! Julienne

o

I drink Diet Pepsi and Diet Coke. I really don't pay any attention to which brand I buy, usually whichever is on sale. I grew up as a 6 pack per day Pepsi drinker. Really can't believe that I can drink either. I really attribute it to the fact that "diet" makes both taste a little different from the regular.

o

Water!!!!!

o

I love Coke and DH loves Pepsi. He gets a little pouty when the restaurants don't have Pepsi, but I'm a good sport, LOL

I usually get what is on sale.

o

I like Pepsi, but I did'nt know Coke had an uncool reputation. I must be losin it. Haa Ha

o

I drink both also. Whichever is on sale is the one I drink.
There is a slight difference in that Pepsi has a slight hint of lemon to it and is a little lighter flavored.
Coke is bolder and fizzier.
IMHO

o

Coke and diet coke any day of the week - regardless of what is on sale. If a place only sells pepsi products I usually get Dr. Pepper. I've been a coke fanatic ever since 1984 when coke introduced new coke and to show my support for the original coke I bought Coke Classic every day. I seldom drink soda any more (I like seltzer water-raspberry), but if I do it's gotta be coke. Pepsi commercials are so obnoxious any more. who cares what is trendy or in style? Drink what you like and blow off the celebrities and commercials.

o

I like both and if I buy "good" pop-it depends which is on sale. However, I drink generic most of the time(save the good stuff for company)-at Dollar General can get a 12 pack for $2.00 all the time or a two liter bottle for 50cents. For as much pop as I drink, I couldn't afford to drink the good stuff all the time!

o

I've taken the Pepsi Challenge several times (5 I think!) and each time have picked PEPSI!!!! IF I order Coke then I have to ask for SEVERAL lemons to go with it!!!! Usually I'll have water if the choice is only Coke products!!!!!
Have to say though, that I didn't know it was uncool to drink Coke -- thought it was just my taste preference!!!

o

Both. Coke if its a mixed drink, Pepsi if its by itself. I hate taking sides, lol.

o

Have to agree that Pepsi is much better than Coke. (actually Mountain Dew is the nectar of the gods, but we're talking cola here). Having said that, Coke will always be much bigger than Pepsi because Coke tastes so much better when mixing drinks. Pepsi needs to make a cola than mixes well.

o

Liberal people gave a bad rap to Coke several years ago when the problem of whites controling South Africa. Pepsi together with other companies pulled out of that country but Coke stayed. Mainly young people boycotted Coke and stopped drinking it. By the way, Coke did a favor to the working class there by staying. The companies that chose to leave left a large amount of unemployment.

o

Diet Coke every time.
Yesterday in our local store pepsi was half the price of coke (on sale) but I just don`t like the taste and so I bought the Coke- pepsi tastes too watery.

o

I am another Coke drinker. I like how there's more kick to it (the fizzy stuff). I think Coke drinkers tend to like 7-up as well and Pepsi drinkers tend to like Sprite. Am I wrong?

o

I buy either Coke or Pepsi, whichever one is on sale. BF and I do prefer Coke though, while the kids prefer Pepsi.

o

I happen to agree that Pepsi is better. I happen to like RC more than either on though.

o

Coke all the way. Pepsi is too sweet. I do my best to avoid restaurants that don't serve Coke. As for diet, I could go either way.

o

Personally, I prefer Diet Coke and will drink Pepsi only if a must...BUT I do like Diet Mt. Dew which is a Pepsi Product!

o

you are all crazy... There is no difference in ingrediants in either product.And what the hell is with drinking one or the other because of popularity?Hey Britany Spears drinks
Pepsi,so will i,hey that guy from friends is a painkiler junkie and an alchaholic,lets do that too.Get some self respect,loser

o

I like Pepsi better too.I actually drink Caffeine-Free Pepsi. Living in Atlanta *Coke headquarters* I'm in the minority.Parents of my sons soccer buddy work for Coke and wouldn't drink the Pepsi I had brought for the parents when it was my turn for snack. I too try to drink more water anyway.

o

I will take what ever is on sale.

o

I am loyal to Diet Coke (I think Diet Pepsi tastes terrible!!). But if it's regular (sugar-filled soda), either Coke or Pepsi is fine with me.

o

Coca cola tastes way better. Pepsi sucks big time, and I cant drink it but i suppose it is down to people's personal preference.

o

Whoa...Coke is definite for me...Pepsi is just way tooooooo sweet. I mean..if i drink pepsi, my teeth sort of becomes "squeeky" meaning that there is too much sugar. Anyway, drinking coke really gives the drinker a "Ummph" unlike Pepsi which just makes the drinker want to drink more water to dowse the overwhelming sweetness of pepsi..:P

o

Coke... no contest.

o

Coke, Coke, Coke!
NOT Pepsi, Pepsi, Pepsi!

o

I usually drink both myself, but if I have a choice it's definatly coke. Hubby and son prefer Mountain Dew. I'm not to fond of that.

o

I really can't tell the difference, anyway I prefer a niiiice cup of tea. lol

o

Diet Coke is the absolute best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

Coke is the REAL DEAL. Pepsi is for weiners. Pepsi will always be number 2 behind Coke. Pepsi tastes like liquid candy, probably why alot of kiddies like it more than Coke.

Long live Coke!

o

To me, Pepsi is sweeter than classic coke but the classic coke tastes a bit on the mediciny side. Wierd, but I preferred the new coke, probably the only one out here, ha. vgkg

o

I'll drink either...before I went to Hawaii in 1996, I only drank coke, but since Pepsi is mainly what they serve there, I got hooked. But in the long run, I think I drink more Coke (they are one of our clients and provide it free at the the office along with all the other Coke products)

o

I am a diabetic and I find that Coke takes away the symptoms of a low blood sugar raction quicker than Pepsi. It is true about Coke being very sweet. Did you know that Coke is what people like professional dancers and rock stars border their stage with so they don't slip off the edge? Coke is sprayed in a border along the edge of the stage and allowed to dry the edges become like fly paper.

o

Pepsi, pepsi, pepsi!!!

o

Pepsi

o

Shasta Cola or RC are my first preferences. I think diet coke tastes like regular pepsi. Don't really have a preference, but I like lemon in any of them.

o

Coke!!

o

COKE of course!!!!!

Diet pepsi however does taste better then diet coke but i don't drink diet pop. I'm a young person and i don't think that pepsi is better.

Coke!!!!!!

o

I think they both taste pretty lousy.

o

Pepsi, Pepsi! (Cheeseburger, Cheeseburger! No Coke!)

o

I gotta go with Coke - to me (and dh), Pepsi tastes flat or something.... Its so irritating when you go to a restaurant and order Coke and they bring you a Pepsi thinking there's no difference! There is a major difference in the flavor!

o

Definitely Coke and Diet Coke. If a restaurant only offers Pepsi, I will either leave or ask for water.

o

PEPSI THE $hit! ahh hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

Here is a link that might be useful: The Best Website in the world

o

Coke rules!

You Pepsi drinkers ought to take the "tastebud" counting test from Discover magazine. I did and it turns out I have way more tastebuds than the average person. That's why I and others like me can taste the difference between Coke and Pepsi. (sticking out my tastebud loaded tongue at you Pepsi drinks!)

o

SUN DROP.
If you have to ask. You live in the wrong part of the country.

o

I love diet pepsi..I & many others at my work harrassed the vp that in charge of our pop machines at the hospital..that he finally put in a pepsi machine...I also remember Pepsi celebrating because of Coke sales going down that they tried to change the recipe for coke...then when that didnt work went back to the old recipe...PEPSI IS BEST!!! and I am old enough to remember all the slogans.(smile)

o

Pepsi. Taste better and no after taste, also coke taste like cigarettes smell anymore, and doesn't seem to cool as well in the plastic bottle. It does take on outside odors. Taste it and see, if you get it from a convenience store where they can smoke it taste just like it. NO THANKS TO COKE!!!!!!!!!

o

PEPSI for me too!!!!!!

o

When i drink carbonated drinks, I prefer pepsi. I never liked how coke didn't really have a flavor... just sticky-sweetness that was waaaay too carbonated and stuck to the inside of my mouth. Sorry Coke fans :(

o

A pondering thread, and here I was concerned about bioterrorism.... silly me.

Sol~decrepit ol' fogey Coke drinker. ;

o

Iced tea's my drink, but I think Coke has more of a "bite", so that's my preference.

o

I drink what I like and it happens to be Coke. I like the fact that Britany Spears is the same way!!! Pepsi pays her over 75 million dollars to promote their products, yet she has been busted drinking Coke products twice in October alone. So even if you get paid the big bucks to promote a product it does not change your CHOICE!!!! You gotta love America, GOD BLESS THE USA

o

Coke is IT.......but I actually prefer Dr. Pepper.

Fact of the matter is, either one will kill ya.........LOL.....why not just eat the 8-10 teaspoons of sugar in each one and chase it with a seltzer water. Same difference.

o

PEPSI is S W I L L

o

Pepsi

Hey Paul - if you don't like Pepsi quit drinking mine. I think you are the type of guy who shakes the bubbles out of your Coke before you drink it! LOL

Love from your sister

o

Love coke or diet-pepsi. I don't like Diet Coke or Pepsi!

o

Definiatly PEPSI!!!! I used to be a die-hard coke drinker, until it ate away at my stomach. Too painfull! Than I had to switch to Pepsi, didn't really want too, but it didn't hurt my stomach to drink it. That was 10 or more years ago, but now I'm definatly a Pepsi-a-holic!

o

PEPSI

o

Hey Anne...I would rather drink warm flat coke if available than cold fizzy pepsi. Maybe I had to grab your pepsi to wash down your cabbage roll cassarole with saurkraut added for "T A N G"

o

Pepsi brings up bile into my mouth.

The recipe for pepsi is 6 ounces of corn syrup, an ounce of water, carbonation, and cane sugar.

Coke is delicious. If you chill it, pour it into a large glass and drop three large ice cubes into it, you'll have an orgasm.

o

Took that Pepsi challenge thing in the 80's twice.
Both times I honestly picked what tasted better, both times I picked Coke..the Pepsi is much sweeter than Coke.
I also perfer 7-up over Sprite(too sweet again)

o

PEPSI...Even my lab likes it we have our big family gathering every year if kids set their can down forget it she drinks it.

o

I like others have taken the pepsi challenge several times over, and I can always tell the difference! I hate pepsi with a passion, it tastes nasty 2 me. I've always been a coke kinda girl

Aaliyah

p.s. have any of u guys tried the challenge? wat did u think of it?

o

Well, I believe thats 30 votes for coke, 19 for pepsi, 13 for either, and 5 for something else. Kelli, I guess more people drink coke, people who don't care whats "cool" but what tastes best.
Oh yea, make that 31 votes for coke!

o

pepsi taste like you disolved sweettarts in a glass of tap water. It is weak, too sweet and flat.
I like Coke but prefer Dr Pepper or Lemon/Lime Slice When I can find it.

o

i cant a bit of difference in the taste so i used to buy which ever was on sale but they have gotten so dang expensive here that i gave up buying em here for the house i will occasionally stop and get one at a machine or something if im out somewhere and i still order em a restuarant but when the 2 liter bottles went up to $1.59 from $1.09 overnight and the 24 pack of cans up to $5.39 i said forget it.

o

I don't drink either one, but in years past when I have had to choose between the two (like at the occasionaly fast food place), I choose Coke.

I could give two good hoots about what other people think of me and the beverage I'm drinking, so looking "uncool" with a Coke is fine with me.

- darkeyedgirl

o

Clearly Kelli and others don;t know that Coke taste better. Coke has a better bottle, lemon-lime partner(sprite) and has Christina who is alot bettre than Britney so Coke is better than PEPSI

o

Coke is the best. I agree with Scott.

Posted by: Scott (atrus@aitrus.org) on Tue, Jan 1, 02 at 19:21

Pepsi brings up bile into my mouth.
The recipe for pepsi is 6 ounces of corn syrup, an ounce of water, carbonation, and cane sugar.

Coke is delicious. If you chill it, pour it into a large glass and drop three large ice cubes into it, you'll have an orgasm.

o

Dr. Pepper, y'all!

o

COKE RULES! Did you all know Pepsi filed bankruptcy back in the early days? They went out of business for a short while. Saw it on a documentary on TLC.

o

Between the two, I prefer Pepsi. I think it has more cola flavor; Coke straight from the can/bottle is too fizzy.

Then again, I may just be rebelling. My mom is a die-hard Coke drinker. That is ALL she will drink. No water, juice, etc. Just Coke. And yes, she gets upset when restaurants don't carry it, says Pepsi gives her heartburn.

My favorite pop, though, is Faygo Blue Moon Mist. ;) The red, akin to Mt. Dew's Code Red, is a close second. Yes, I have a mouthful of sweet teeth and the dentist bills to prove it.

BTW, Coke is useful when the car battery gets corroded and won't make a proper connection. Pour it right on the battery terminals, wait a couple minutes, and scrub with a brush. I have done this a few times. Kind of scary when you think about it. :)

o

Coke is a more mature soft drink. It has a more mellow flavor and taste more like cola should, not as sweet and all. Coke is the original.

o

I hate all cola drinks--I don't know why anyone drinks any of it. I only drink clear sodas, usually grapefruit flavored, but I like lime, lemon-lime, and the Clearly Canadian blackberry soda (do they still make that?).

o

I love Pepsi but I can drink Coke from like as long as it in fountain drink taste too thick out of a can for me. I don't like anything diet except 7up.
:)

o

Try this test. Get some Pepsi & Coke and a supply of paper cups. Put either Coke or Pepsi in both cups but tell your friends that one is Pepsi and one is Coke. Have them identify them. You'll be surprised at the number of people who will identify one cup as Pepsi and the other Coke. Also run a real test (identifying brands) between Coke and Pepsi in unmarked cups. You'll be amazed at the incorrect guesses.

o

It's good that we have both! Otherwise, we would never be able to appreciate the good things about each of them.

o

Used to like coke in glass bottles but it's PEPSI now.....

o

Diet Pepsi for me, I prefer..............

o

DH and I are Pepsi drinkers all the way. That's 2 votes for pepsi.

o

I can tell if one molecule is missing in a beer, but I can see much difference between two different cans of carbonated water with 39 grams of sugar in them.

o

Diet Pepsi! Umm umm Good! Much more refreshing, no aftertaste. Nope, they did not pay me 75 million say it. Yes, I am old enough to remember all the slogans. Don't know how many taste buds an old lady like me has left but they all stand up and get happy when that first drops hits my tongue! Go Pepsi! Andrea

o

If I can't have iced tea (unsweetened) I'll have a diet PEPSI please. But only in a can....no plastic bottles. And am I alone in thinking all diet sodas taste awful from a fountain? Love the coke polar bear, but like the "wit" of the pepsi commercials.

o

"Pepsi tastes so much better is more cool to be seen drinking."

Ignoring for the moment the tortured grammar and syntax, the obvious answer to your question is that it's a matter of personal preference.

If every human on earth were a clone from the same master, then perhaps 1 choice would be suitable for every individual.

What a boring world that would be, not to mention confusing.

"Hi, Fred!"

"I'm not Fred, I'm Ted."

"Well, you look like Fred."

"Of course I look like Fred, we ALL look like Fred, we're clones, you idiot!"

As for looking "cool" drinking a Pepsi as opposed to a Coke...

Oh. My. I don't look cool. I'm heartbroken. I'm shattered. I'm... I'm... feeling exactly what I felt when I looked at all the supposedly "cool" kids when I was in high school -- pity, for THEM, that their essential sense of self worth is dictated by a group lemming mentality based on conformity.

I didn't have time for it then, I don't have time for it now.

I'm going to continue to drink my Diet Rite and be very happy with it.

o

Diet Coke...but preferably in the plastic bottles, not the can, and no ice.

o

I'm sorry, but I'm a total Coke drinker. I think that Pepsi has less kick to it and that it's sweeter than Coke. I do settle for Pepsi when Coke isn't available though...

o

I don't like sugared cola, though I *love* root beer and - yes - 7up.

I drink Diet Coke, and when I'm somewhere that has only Pepsi, I drink something else.

Though I do drink much more water than any soda.

o

I have to have my Pepsi. It annoys me alot when I am out at a place to eat and all they offer is Coke. I've gone to Costa Rica about four times now and the last time I was there I found Pepsi, I was so thrilled. I just don't like the taste of Coke.
Sapphires

o

COKE! COCA-COLA! Long live Coke! (In the bottle please.) I love Coke!

o

I'm sorry, but I'm a coke fan. I don't care about looking cool, I just drink what I like. Pepsi may have won the taste test challenge, but coke won my taste buds favor.

o

PEPSI!!! Coke is definitely sweeter tasting, too much.

o

Diet Wild Cherry Pepsi rules!

o

Diet Pepsi, diet pepsi, diet pepsi!!! I hate that Subway, Mcdonalds, and other places have coke products. Coke buys them off or something. It's very disappointing to have to settle for diet coke.

o

COKE IS IT....FOR ME!!!

Pepsi is flat and Britney sucks.

o

Coke has more of a refined taste and Pepsi is way too sugary for me.

o

Diet Coke for me. If I'm out and they bring me pepsi instead they are the devil and I send it back and get mountain dew or some other citrusy thing pepsi makes. There is just no contest, I'll spend whatever it takes for DC. I also stay true to Jiff. :)

o

Pepsi and only Pepsi(actually diet pepsi no caffeine) Coke is wayyyy to sweet for my taste. If they only have Coke offered, I drink water.

o

must be genetics ... but I am a Pepsi fan & can taste the difference right away if I get Coke by mistake. To me, Coke tastes sweeter & I prefer Pepsi!

o

We did a blind challenge taste test with our family. That was everybody. The old, the young, and even a couple neighbors.

Pepsi won, hands down.

o

On a stinking hot day as long as its COLD it goes down real well.....
I don't mind either and will buy what ever is on sale.....

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here