Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
home fermentation

Posted by MRobbins (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 19, 04 at 23:34

OK, all you wine and beer makers, here's a question. I'm making kvass, a fermented beet liquid that is the secret ingredient to a true Ukrainian borscht. (It's stirred into the soup at the end and heated through, but not boiled.) I've let this mixture (peeled sliced beets plus three pieces stale bread, covered with enough sterilized water to submerge everything) sit in a covered pottery container for three weeks at 45-55F. I remove stuff from the surface when it looks iffy (moldy or coated in a dull film). When I examined it tonight, all the bread had risen to the surface, and a few large dull bubbles had formed on the surface. I removed all the bread and bubbles, and when the surface of the liquid was clear, tasted the mixture. It had become a bit sparkly! It looks as though my kvass is turning alcoholic. Now, I want this liquid to have some mellow sweetness -- should I let it sit another week, or drain it off now and refrigerate it? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: home fermentation

MRobbins......My DH likes all kinds of home made soup!
I have added the juice from my dills to get the same
taste effect. As a kid in Man. my U. gran got something
from the drugstore called soursalt,if memory serves me
it looked like chunks of crystal, put inthe mouth it had
a pleasant sour taste. She also made kvass but this was
easier....I would be leery of things that didnt work, why
not start a new batch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here