Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Merlot

Posted by Morgan (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 11, 02 at 20:55

Does Merlot have to be refrigerated after it's opened?
A dinner guest, helping to clean up the table, placed an opened bottle of some very good Merlot in the pantry (1 week ago). I just found it, and was wondering if it should be dumped, or put in the refrigerator to save as a cooking wine.
(No, I won't taste it...I cook with wine, but don't drink)
Thanks
~Morgan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Merlot

Morgan. In my opinion I would dump it. Once wine is opened it oxidizes and starts to deteriorate. If it had been recorked almost immediately you could have even drank this the next day with just a little deterioration and if you had refrigerated it you could have used it for cooking within a few days. It really wouldn't be fit to drink and therefore it isn't fit to cook with either.

Ann.

o

I wouldn't dump it....it will for sure be more sour....but makes a great marinade.
Also, the less "head room" in a bottle the better it keeps. So if you have a 1/3 of a bottle left, it will keep better if you pour it into something smaller.
Linda C

o

I would taste it and if you like it drink it. In the old days wine was not refrigerated after opening.

o

If it was corked it will be fine. I make wine & very often have some left in the bottle. Most often I will put the cork in & put it in the fridge, but alot of times it sits out & it stays fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here