Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How do I make Cappuchino?

Posted by
Scott
(atrus@aitrus.org) on
Tue, Jan 1, 02 at 19:16

The old POS coffee machine took a turn for the worst, and we recently purchased a Three For All coffee/espresso/capuchino machine (comes with that tube to steam milk). However, I have no clue how to make Cappuchino; I try to use that steaming tube but all that happens with the milk is a few bubbles and it runs out of pressure.

I'm clueless ;( sorry.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How do I make Cappuchino?

When all else fails....read the directions!
My coffee maker has a control on one side that builds the pressure.....then a knob on the other side that releases the steam into the frothing pitcher.
I make a cup of espresso and fill the frothing pitcher 1/2 full of skim milk....steam it until it's hot and about twice the volume and pour it into my mug of espresso....I also add a tad bit of sugar!
Linda C

o

Well, being a formal starbucks barista... I have made hundreds and possibly thousand cappucinnos, lattes, etc...
You should purchase a thermometer for your milk, and get a small tin canister w/ handle to steam. Make sure your milk is COLD when you start, this will make sure your foam is nice and thick. start off with approx. 1/4 cup of milk with the thermometer in the milk, with steam (wand) nozzle completely inside, gradually turn up steam, and then begin pulling the canister down until the end of wand is right under the surface of the milk. and move up and down occasionally. you should then have a thick foam. and only heat your milk to approx. 140 - 160 ( i generally go to about 160, start off lower during practice. then pull your shots of espresso, pour espresso in cup, with a little of the steamed milk, then top with foam. should be ratio 1/4 milk/ 3/4 foam, and your shot of espresso. hope that helps...

o

Depending on the model of your espresso machine you may not be able to make enough steam required to really foam up the milk. Try using skim milk as it will foam up more than 2% or whole and becareful not to boil the milk. If it turns out that your machine cannot produce the foam you want, buy a small hand whisk called something like a Froth Matic Express. I have seen them in the US at TJ Maxx's. You can use this to foam up the milk and then sap it in the Microware to warm before spooning on top of your espresso.
I ended up buying a commerical machine for home use in order to get an espresso machine with a good pump and with the ability to froth up the milk properly.

Ann.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here