Return to the Beverages Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Gin How to make it taste good

Posted by
Laurie
(TL_Russell@hotmail.com) on
Fri, Jan 11, 02 at 2:12

Hi we were given a large bottle of gin for Christmas and we have not had the occaision to drink the stuff before. Anyone know of a few tasty drinks we can experiment with? Thanks for your help in advance! Laurie and Tom

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Gin How to make it taste good

Buy a bottle of tonic water and make a gin and tonic. Add a slice of lime or a little lime juice and some ice. Actually I prefer to drink this during the warmer months because it's so refreshing.

o

Well, just give me gin on the rocks with a couple of olives!

o

MaryG.....check the link below....you'll find a lot of kindred spirits ( Pun intended!) there!
Linda C

Here is a link that might be useful: Gin!

o

Add some Rose's lime juice and some tonic water for a refreshing drink, although I agree with Lor_CA that this is more of a warm-weather drink.

If you find that you like gin, you should try Tanqueray (sp?) next time. It has a wonderful, light fruity taste.

Sue

o

mix 1 1/2 oz. with a can of Sprite, or Citra if you really want a good drink.

o

I am not a fan of gin, but near the holidays I like it with Ocean Spray cranberry juice cocktail - it is called a Nantucket (I think). Do not substitute cran-grape, -strawberry, -apple or any other variation. Also use only Ocean Spray, the others are either too sugary or way too tart.

In a tall glass filled with ice, pour 2 oz gin, top with Ocean Spray Cranberry juice Cocktail and a slice of lime.

Alexa

o

maybe a Tom Collins?

o

Well, some people will tell you that Gin and "taste good" is an oxymoron..... But, to me gin is best in a dry martini, or in a gin and tonic. It really is a drink you have to work to get a hankering for.

o

It's gotta be Tanqueray(sp.).!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

o

I second that vatmark!! Tanqueray, tonic and lots of lime. Mmmmmmm!!!

o

mixed in the same proportions as one would for a bourbon 'high-ball', use gin and ginger ale [known simply as a 'gin & ginger']. you can also add a lime twist to that.

-d.

o

Great Summer Drink - Chicago Bathtub Gin
1 - bottle sprite (2liter)
1 - 12 oz can frozen lemonade (I like the pink)
1/4 c - powdered sugar
1/2 c - lime juice
3 c - gin
Mix it up - serve over ice & sit back - with the whole pitcher

o

Go to Dairy Queen and get a lime Mr. Misty, drink about a 1/4 way down, then fill with gin....delicious, trust me

o

Pour out contents of bottle...replace with bourbon....

Brad

o

Blue Sapphire gin is the best in my opinion, much smoother than Tanqueray, any day. As for recipes... try 1 oz.gin, 1/2 tsp bar sugar, and fill tall glass with sweet and sour. Can be shaken in a shaker for more foamy look when poured. Bar sugar is just more refined, you can make your own by running it thru the blender. Adjust sugar to taste, if necessary.

o

Bombay Sapphire is 100 proof!!!...will knock you on your fanny!...And way too expensive to disguise with sweet and sour mix.
There's always a good old Tom Collins.....tastes very much like lemon aid.

o

All of we gin drinkers have our pet brands, and I need to vociferously chime in with mine. Boodles, Boodles, Boodles! You'll probably need to go to a specialty liquour store to find it, but it is worth it! I've always said Boodles is the only smooth gin out there.

I think lots of limes is the key to a good gin and tonic, and makes the gin go down more smoothly for those who haven't acquired the taste yet. Rose's lime is a great alternative to fresh limes, and is sweeter, also great for gin novice

o

I agree with cookwaresnob-

about the only use for it I have ever found is to 'drown' olives in it, and give them as presents to people who actually LIKE the taste of juniper berries.

o

Ah yes, a nice ice cold Gin Martini,,, with an olive.
No Frills for me except the olive.

o

Bombay Sapphire with homemade lime juice. Add crushed ginger or a dash of ginger ale. Ice cubes. A very east indian summer indeed.

o

Blackberry Gin Liqueur is a favorite of mine. Of course it's not quick...it has to age...but well worth the wait.

4 cups ripe blackberries (approx.)
8 cups decent gin (approx.)
2 tbsp. powdered sugar (approx.)

Put in jar with good lid. I use a wide-mouth canning jar.
Every day or so, roll it around in your hands to mix things up and help dissolve the sugar. Keep in dark, cool spot. In one month, taste for sugar, and adjust to your taste. Keep in mind that it still has to mellow with more aging. In three months, strain first through dampened cheesecloth or a nylon strainer (I mash it good to get the juices out) and then through a dampened coffee filter. It's supposed to age for 12 months, but I've never been able to wait that long.

o

If you have a soda water machine try making your own tonic. This recipe turns out really well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Homemade Tonic Water for the Ultimate Gin and Tonic

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beverages Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here