Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Shampoos/Conditioners that Protect Hair Color?

Posted by rosewest (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 10, 09 at 22:56

Are hair care products really effective in making your hail color last? I can see where a leave-in conditioner with UV protection might help protect it from the sun fading it, but do shampoos and rinse-out conditioners really do anything to protect your chemical hair color? I've tried (been sold) a number of different products that don't seem to me to make any noticeable difference. Any recommendations for products that really do work?

Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Shampoos/Conditioners that Protect Hair Color?

I don't know if they work or not, but I use them. Gotta use something, right?

o

Look for a shampoo that doesn't have sodium laurel sulfate;
it's a drying agent that strips the protective layers from your hair.
I found one at Dollar Tree.

When you color or touch up your hair, use a plastic cap, even if the product doesn't call for it;
using the cap will keep keep oxygen from contacting the colorant & oxidizing (stripping) the color.

o

I use Aveda Color Conserve , have been for years, it works well for me.

I have not found yet a proper sunblock spray to help protect hair against the sun though.

o

Pureology line is amazing for this. They also have a sinblock hairspray mitchdesj

o

thanks summie, I'll try to find it at sephora.

o

mitchdesj:
I don't think they carry it there. I think Target of all places has been stocking a few of these higher end brands. Or some higher ends salons carry it. They have a leave in protectant, S and C and hairspray. They are sulfate free etc. Nice line. Little spendy, but worth it. You use very little which was my mistake. I went through a bottle too quickly. LOL. I was like Seriously? then my stylist told me to use WAY less.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pureology Line

o

Goldwell products. Definitely not cheap, but you don't need to use a lot. My natural hair colour is (was) auburn - so is now coloured that shade - and as we all know, red fades fast - and my Irish heritage, very thick hair grows like a weed. This stuff is seriously great. I live in Canada and buy it from the colourist - I can only assume it is easy to find in the U.S. (or maybe that is just me because every time I visit the U.S. I am ballistic at the stuff you have that we don't).

o

I love the Pureology products. I alternate then with Bumble &Bumble.

I have long hair and we play a lot with the color.

I always though salon products were a way too expensive but I finally decided to invest in a couple of giant bottles. I paid around $80 or $90 for those first two bottles. I found that you use so much less of the good stuff that those bottles lasted me two years plus! That's pennies on the dollar I was paying when I was spending around 10 dollars a month on drugstore products.

I've found in my area at least the salon products are cheaper in my salon than they are are Target etc.

o

Rosewest, I hope this helps. My tip stops you from stripping the life out of your hair.
I buy a decent brand of shampoo, like Pantene, then I take half of it out and replace that with water and shake.
I am over 60 and wash my hair every day and color it too. It is shiny and full of body. I just blow dry it straight and use no hair spray.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here