Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
'What Not to Wear'---anybody watchin' this?

Posted by Yellowhair (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 31, 03 at 18:22

It's the BBC show that has 2 fashion consultants who try to help one person (that's been nominated by spouses, children, etc.) they go thru her wardrobe, throwing things away, advise her on what to wear---then send her off with 2000 lbs---not sure how much this is in American dollars---to spend at shops.

Some of their advice seems pretty good. Today, I went shopping and kept thinking about their typical slogans----don't wear anything that hangs like a big straight box----don't wear busy patterns in sweaters and blouses if you're busty----wear fitted jackets----don't wear turtlenecks and sweaters with big tight necks if you're busty----V-necks are good.

Have you seen this show?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 'What Not to Wear'---anybody watchin' this?

Wow, 2000 pounds? That's about $4600 Canadian or $2600 US. I could certainly have a clothes shopping spree with that! Or blow it all on the full-length Christ sheepskin coat I tried on (which of course fit me wonderfully!)... as very expensive clothes always do, somehow.
Lori

o

Yes, I watch the American version regularly. They give the bad dresser $5000 to spend in New York City in return for their entire tawdry wardrobe. The first season had a long haired man who tended to be particularly mean and was dressed like a complete slob. He is gone this season and has been replaced with a kinder, gentler cohost. The woman is the same.

I get a kick out of it but I also know I'm a prime candidate! My crime is what I wear around the house more than what I wear in public. My neighbors may turn me in as a public eye sore!

o

My around-the-house wardrobe is just... sad. I usually have something on with paint on it, and it's plenty baggy. But, since I'm doing some reorganizing of my pathetic wardrobe, I'm attempting to work in a few nicer looking sweaters and such. I'm weeding out some things!

Yes, this show is interesting, but sometimes I look at the two women's outfits, Suzannah and Trinny, and think----whattttt----they're giving advice! But, sometimes they dress nice.

o

I've never seen the show, but did look through the book (or one of them?), in which the two women acted as models for comparisons of various "styles" of clothing. I guess some of the "after" shots looked better than the "before's" (usually with things that were truly ill-fitting or ill-advised), but not always. The things that struck me were that the pieces of clothing being discussed were generally lacking in any sort of actual style. For example, a lot of the demo's seemed to focus on THIS style of tank top, rather than THAT style of tank top...so what? I don't wear tank tops to work! It made me think, "Gee, I need THESE folks to tell me how to dress??" Picky, picky, I guess. Oh well, it's probably a good thing I don't watch it!

o

The last few times I've watched this----they have been brutal!!! But, I've learned a few things---I will NEVER NEVER buy another clothing item in the way of blouses or shirts or sweaters that have a pattern in them!! No flowers, no frills. Here's some of their advice:

Wear a good bra that pulls everything upward--LOL

Don't wear large patterns on top if you're busty

Wear fitted jackets

If you're flat chested, don't wear plain tops, or at least buy them with an opening at the neck to give the illusion of cleavage

Don't wear horizontal stripes, unless you're a little thing ----stripes make you look larger

That's all I can remember right now.

o

I love this show. In the States they give $5000. What I am appalled at is that for $5,000 you can't replace your whole wardrobe which is what they are doing & especially not when they are sending these people to shop at high priced boutques, not even department stores.

Michie

o

Michie, it seems to depend on the personal needs and perceived style of the individual as to where they send them. One guy went into Old Navy and stocked up on polo shirts and socks. Some people they send off to buy $1000 suits, some people buy khakis and youthful clothes. But to a great degree you are correct, they end up with a bunch of $300-$500 items and a couple of $50 dollar "bargain" items.

o

I love this show and seem to pick up tips on things like pant lengths , etc. I woud LOVE that money for a new wardrobe but would never pay as much as they do for items!!!!

o

I love the show, but have a hard time remembering when it is on. What gets me is the clothes that the people pack to take with them - I don't think I own near as much clothes as some of those people! My DH and I were watching it together the other day and we both were trying to figure out how much clothes we have... I think I have two pair of jeans, one pair of capri pants that I loved but they just bit the dust (WNTW people would have loved the holey things so I ditched them), maybe 3-4 shirts. (I don't get out much! I haven't worked outside the home in 2 1/2 years and before that I worked at a garden center that didn't require the greatest wardrobe!)
I have lost 30 or so pounds in the past year and now weigh less than I did before I was pregnant two years ago. I am starting to fit back into my real, real old clothes (size I wore maybe 7 years ago - back when I worked in the corporate world) but am finding that so many of them are horribly "Ugh." I thought they were "classic" items so I kept onto them, but as I was trying them on this morning I kept hearing the hosts of WNTW critiquing them - busty women shouldn't wear stripes, patterns, etc... I now have about 10 bags of clothes packed up for the second hand store. I really could stand to go on this show - I could use the $$$ to rebuild my wardrobe! ~ Suzie

o

Hey, I watched this a week or so ago------they gave the lady a new haircut which I thought looked soooo good on her, but at the end of the show-----this gal had gone back to her original hairstyle. Said it just wasn't her.

Suzannah and Trini were so disappointed. And the woman was out working with horses in her beautiful, and I imagine expensive, cranberry slacks.

There's also another show that I watch sometimes----called "Style Court" and family members and friends bring their loved ones in and tell the judge their stories-----a panel of three discusses it and the judge decides if they get a new makeover or not.

The judge is like a fashion designer and attorney (I believe) and some of those makeovers are unbelievable! And they give fashion and makeup tips all thru the show.

o

Is anyone still watching the American version? I'm still loving it but Clinton does wear some awefully outlandish shirts that I can't see the avg guy wearing unless they were in the fashion industry.

Most of these people never go shopping & I still feel they ought to send them to normally priced stores to get their entire wardrobe so they can get a whole lot more. What's wrong with taking those rules to Target or a regular dept store rather than a boutique? Example, if I got a $1000 suit for work I'd have to wear it all the time b/c who could afford to go get another one.

Michie

o

I also love watching WNTW (American Version) and definitely agree that the clothes purchased during the shopping sprees are waaaayyyy too expensive. I don't think they actually throw away all their clothes. If they did, they would be wearing the exact same couple of outfits over and over again. They should do a show where they show you how to shop in the "normal" stores that most of us frequent. Someone also mentioned Clinton's wardrobe. He is rather flamboyant (and openly gay).

o

Actually, some of the clothes they talk women into buying are not flattering to their less than perfect figures. I have agreed that their subject needs a new wardrobe, but in desperation she would be talked into unattractive things. Sometimes you just will not find the right thing when you go shopping, especially if you have figure problems, as some of these women do.

o

i LOVE that show. I hated it at first when they had Stacey and the long haired guy but now that they replaced him and are a bit kindler and gentler, I love it. I watch it as often as possible and have taken much of their fashion advice.

I was watching it last week and they had this woman who wouldn't cut even an inch of her waist length hair and it was such a shame. They did a light make up job on her and she looked terrific but she had this awful too long hair that was all damaged and uneven on the ends. She could have looked much better if she just let him cut the ugly stuff from the ends and added some layers.

o

I saw that show too. It WAS a shame that she couldn't accept the fact that it's time to cut that hair. It's just long and straight, no style at all. As time goes on she'll just have more and more damaged hair as it continues to split all the way up the shaft. Funny thing is, she nominated herself! Why did she bother when she knew she really didn't want to change that much?

o

I watch the BBC version and have been following alot of their tips when buying clothes. I don't think I've ever dressed better. One tip I love is to wear trousers longer, I am short and love how they make my legs look longer. I am also big-busted, I've noticed that a lot their clients are as well and I get great tips.

I don't often like what Susannah and Trini wear themselves and a lot of the time their comments are harsh but they always get the right clothes onto the person involved and they look great - even if they can't see it themselves

I have watched the specials where the women put themselves in, instead of being secretly put in by others and can't understand the theatrics, they know how they are going to be treated because they've obviously seen the show before. I remember on what not to wear on holidays, a husband was moaning about the type of clothes his wife wore and her image, he was a sight himself, both women mentioned he needed a makeover. Later they surprised the couple on holiday and told the husband they were sending him for a quick makeover and he told them that he thought he looked good. He was overweight, greasy long hair parted in the centre and badly dressed - he thought he was hip. There was quite a difference when they finished.

o

I LOVE Trinny and Susannah! (The BBC pair) They really know what they're talking about. I do NOT like our American version--I just don't like the way THEY dress--the hosts-they don't usually look great. Trinny and Susannah always look fabulous and their advice is sound. I'm built like Trinny, so I follow her advice. No "mom" jeans! LOL

o

I watch both versions of the show and love them both.

I was also horrified that the woman with the ghastly long hair wouldn't let Nick cut it off. It was sooooo aging and drab and damaged.

Clinton is gay and in NYC and is allowed to wear outlandish shirts occasionally as far as I'm concerned. :)

o

Clinton? Gay?

o

Absolutely.

o

Shut! Up!

o

Nick's a cutie, and he's married...to a woman.

o

Are you SURE? ;)

o

Hi All, I watch both versions & enjoy them , love to see the transformations! what I would really like to see on the show is WNTW for us seniors,(close to 70) are capri's too young? is dressing with too much color a no no? things that I wore when I was 50 I know are not right for me now, but I don't really want to dress like my dear MIL either. Just wondering.....

o

Oh, heck - do whatever you want. Are you retired? When I retire from work I will be changing my wardrobe to more reflect my personality, without having to worry about dressing for the office any longer. Yeehaw!

Seriously though, I don't think capris are too young, and I don't think any color is a no-no at 70. It's the time when you can let loose and wear colorful clothes and lots of "bling". If you go to senior-heavy areas in Florida, Palm Springs, the gals dress loudly and proudly and wear the blingiest bling you can imagine. I think it looks like a lot of fun.

o

Hi Gina good advice! thank you. Yeah I'm retired ( a stroke a few years back)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here