Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eyelashes and mascara

Posted by mrsgym (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 12, 08 at 10:58

Ok, I might be the only person on earth with this problem, but I'm going to ask anyhow. I'm in my early 50's and my eyelashes are beginning to lean to the side. When I was younger my lashes were straight, and I didn't have this problem. Also the bottom lashes seem a little sparse. If I use a curler, they are still leaning, but have a curl. Mascara doesn't seem to help them to straighten up. I wear mascara 5 days a week, and always take my make-up off at bed time. Any suggestions?
What mascara do you use? I want a waterproof mascara that doesn't smudge, doesn't clump, and doesn't look fake. Thank you

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eyelashes and mascara

My favorite mascara is Bad Girl by Benefit. I've tried so many and none seem to work as well. It's pretty dark so I'm not sure what color hair you have and if you are ok with dark mascara but it work SO well! Maybe the mascara you use is to heavy for your eyelashes and is making them lean?? I'm sorry I can't be more helpful...

o
RE: Eyelashes and mascara

I noticed this too! I am 40 and my lashes lean inward toward my nose now. I rarely wear makeup anymore, so it isn't that the mascara is too heavy, I think it is age.

Before you put your makeup on, wash your face and gently push the lashes the other direction. Pat your eyes dry by pushing the lashes outward, hold the towel on them for a few seconds to try to keep them in place.

I have never used a curler, see if this works, maybe you won't need to curl them.

Use a pressed powder to coat your lashes, going down your eyelid and up from under your eye, at an angle to push the lashes back straight up.

Start at the very base of your lashes and do about 30-40 strokes keeping them at the correct angle. Alternate from the front and back of the lashes.

Do the lower lashes, same way, but since they are thin, first start by very gently placing the brush at the base of your lashes and softly going back and forth a couple times, then pull the brush down your lashes. This creates a base. Now coat them from both front and back.

Repeat the coats, then use just the tip of the wand (cleared of excess mascara so it doesn't goop up) to lengthen each lash.

Finish off by just brushing up the ends of the lashes to extend them just a bit higher. My lashes end up a good 1/4 inch longer than they actually are, they end up about halfway to my eyebrows.

I use L'Oreal mascara with the teddybear brush. I never use waterproof, it is too gunky for me, that might be your problem. Give the regular stuff a try.

Don't pump the brush to get mascara on it, twirl it instead. I like mascara that is a few weeks old, I think it is the perfect consistency, and I do pump the first few days of opening a new tube to dry it out just a bit.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beauty & Fashion Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here